Juggling/circus skills group

Post your northern Taiwan events here! (Events in Taipei and Xinbei should be posted in the Taipei / Xinbei Events forum.)
Forum rules
This forum is for the listing, promotion, and discussion of the specifics of events in northern Taiwan (but not Taipei/Xinbei). Please include a date in your title (e.g. 3/25) and - in the post - an address in English if possible. If you are providing the information in the form of an online photograph/flyer/poster, it is also advisable to provide the essential details in text as well, so as to facilitate ease of cut-and-paste.

As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

Please PM the Moderators or Admin if you have any concerns or queries.

Juggling/circus skills group

Postby bonzifan » 21 Mar 2012, 11:09

Would anyone be interested in starting a juggling and general circus skills group? I'm currently living in Zhubei, so could start one there, but next year I'll probably be moving to Taipei, so let me know if you'd like to go to one there. I'd probably suggest meeting in a park or something, since it's normally warm in Taiwan...
Dog bitten, windswept, maggot fed within 3 weeks of moving to Taiwan
bonzifan
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Juggling/circus skills group

Postby Rotalsnart » 22 Mar 2012, 09:21

bonzifan wrote:Would anyone be interested in starting a juggling and general circus skills group? I'm currently living in Zhubei, so could start one there, but next year I'll probably be moving to Taipei, so let me know if you'd like to go to one there. I'd probably suggest meeting in a park or something, since it's normally warm in Taiwan...

This is not my area, but I saw such a group one evening this week (two western couples) busking with a juggling/circus/magic act by the Ximen MRT station. They attracted quite a few spectators though I didn't see a lot of money going in the hat. (I only stood around to see part of the act of one of the two couples -- they obviously had some experience, but that said, their skills seemed so-so to me.)
Rotalsnart
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

93 Recommends(s)
68 Recognized(s)

Postby Puppet » 22 Mar 2012, 16:35

Do ventriloquists count?
Forumosan avatar
Puppet
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

60 Recommends(s)
32 Recognized(s)

Postby bonzifan » 23 Mar 2012, 09:30

Puppet wrote:Do ventriloquists count?
Absolutely - as do performing magic, performance hypnotism, basically anything which you could envisage happening in a circus.
bonzifan
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Puppet » 06 Apr 2012, 19:17

I will be in Jhu Bei on the 14th for our improv show. I won't have any puppets, but if you want to stop by Tittie Tea that day, I'd love to chat. I am not sure what time we'll be there to set up yet.
Forumosan avatar
Puppet

60 Recommends(s)
32 Recognized(s)

Postby bonzifan » 11 Apr 2012, 07:27

bonzifan
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Shearersheed » 31 Aug 2012, 22:39

I wouldn't not mind learning any of this kind of stuff. Please let me know if you come to Taipei and I will let you know the times that I am free.

Or you could email me at marky.baobei@gmail.com
Howay the lads!!!!!
Forumosan avatar
Shearersheed
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby bonzifan » 07 Sep 2012, 13:38

I've just arrived in Taipei! If we can get a few more people interested, maybe we can meet up and swap tricks...?
bonzifan
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby micahjrowe » 28 Sep 2012, 09:50

bonzifan wrote:I've just arrived in Taipei! If we can get a few more people interested, maybe we can meet up and swap tricks...?

I'm interested. I can juggle 5 balls, 4 clubs, 2 chinese yo yos (diabolos), spin poi, cigar boxes, hat tricks, ride the unicycle, slackline, yo yo, some magic tricks, auxilary balance, rola bola, chinese flower stick, and a couple other things.

I'm not really interested in busking. I would, however, love to find someone to pass clubs. I also love juggling fire but haven't yet got my torches, fire poi, etc. shipped over here yet.

Is there a juggling store in Taiwan by any chance?

Let me know if you'd like to get together and juggle. I live in Tapinglin.

Best wishes, Micah
micahjrowe
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 28 Aug 2012

Postby bonzifan » 02 Oct 2012, 02:23

Sounds like you're a little more advanced than me! I can juggle 4 balls, 3 clubs, (I was learning to pass back in england, so if you're patient with a rusty learner we could meet up and do that) I also do some contact juggling and hooping, tightrope (never could get the hang of slack rope), a little poi etc etc.

I'm afraid I haven't found any stores here that sell juggling equipment, however, I have seen people using the props, so unless they have them shipped in, I presume there must be something out there.
bonzifan
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Northern Taiwan Events