Taipei River Path Bike Trip

Post your northern Taiwan events here! (Events in Taipei and Xinbei should be posted in the Taipei / Xinbei Events forum.)
Forum rules
This forum is for the listing, promotion, and discussion of the specifics of events in northern Taiwan (but not Taipei/Xinbei). Please include a date in your title (e.g. 3/25) and - in the post - an address in English if possible. If you are providing the information in the form of an online photograph/flyer/poster, it is also advisable to provide the essential details in text as well, so as to facilitate ease of cut-and-paste.

As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

Please PM the Moderators or Admin if you have any concerns or queries.

Taipei River Path Bike Trip

Postby seeker4 » 10 Mar 2006, 18:42

Hi,

Apologies for the short notice, but ...

The weather promises to be really nice for a day bike trip in Taipei tomorrow, so here
"There is a benefit even in misfortune, for it is the rod with which a man can measure the loyalty of friends."
-Tirukkural 80:796 (Hindu text)
seeker4
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 10 Mar 2006, 19:08

Hey! Thanks for the map link, seeker. I've been looking for that as I plan to ride from the Xindian "drawbridge" tomorrow. Does anyone happen to know where that route goes? It disappears off the map to the left.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 10 Mar 2006, 22:32

Jesus, I could have ridden from here to Danshui in the time it took to read that.

Ahem...now is that the kind of detail you expect for future hikes? :wink:
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

637 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 11 Mar 2006, 11:53

Today looks like the best weather we've had in a few days, and it may be the last of the good weather for a few more days too.

I just got a bike, but haven't really set it up the way I want to yet. Perhaps next time I can join you. This weekend I can't go out anyway as nobody else is here to help my wife with the kids. Looking forward to going out sometime in the future, though.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

16 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby seeker4 » 13 Mar 2006, 08:07

We had a small group, but also had a good time. The weather was nearly ideal for that ride. While the segment through the Sanchong area was a bit challenging due to MRT construction, we got around that and went on for a nice long ride along the Danshui River. Saw many water birds, boats, an electric company helicopter working on high power lines, and many other things. Great breeze. Nice lunch in Bali with drinks and dessert later at a riverside cafe. Ended up in the hot springs in Beitou for a nice finish to the activity.

We followed the route outlined above with one exception -- near the end, instead of biking from Danshui back to Beitou, we jumped on the MRT at Hongshulin to save time and spare sore butts.

One note for anyone wanting to make this ride later on:
There are at least two places to board ferry boats in Bali and at least two operators now. One dock location is on the south end of the riverside market area (day/night market boardwalk) and the other is on the north end. The south end previously went to Danshui riverside market area only(near MRT station). Not sure now. The north end goes to either Danshui riverside market or to Fishermans Wharf. While bikes have always been allowed on board the boats for a small extra fee, we encountered considerable resistance from one operator there (Shufeng). This operator may be new. Although they tried to tell us that the weekend was too busy for bikes, then that the boats were too small for bikes, even after we'd purchased tickets (us and bikes), we eventually overcame the objections and crossed.

Recommendation: Avoid the Shufen ferry company, and use the other obvious operator if you have bikes along.

http://www.taipeitravel.net/article.asp ... 2&mrtId=13

Muzha Man wrote:Jesus, I could have ridden from here to Danshui in the time it took to read that.

Ahem...now is that the kind of detail you expect for future hikes? :wink:

"A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes." -- Mark Twain

scomargo wrote:I just got a bike, but haven't really set it up the way I want to yet. Perhaps next time I can join you. This weekend I can't go out anyway as nobody else is here to help my wife with the kids. Looking forward to going out sometime in the future, though.

Glad you got a bike. I'm sure we'll do it again sometime. Or someone else will plan one that we can join in on. It really wasn't that tough to put together. A timing note on rides during the summer: Due to sun and temperature, those rides should be planned to start earlier in the day (near daybreak) and end at lunchtime. In any case, the river bike paths around the Taipei area are really one of the area's best features any time of year.
"There is a benefit even in misfortune, for it is the rod with which a man can measure the loyalty of friends."
-Tirukkural 80:796 (Hindu text)
seeker4

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Re: Taipei River Path Bike Trip

Postby igorveni » 31 Jan 2009, 21:07

Where to find maps of Taipei bike trails?
igorveni
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Northern Taiwan Events