Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Hiking Up a Blue Streak: April 8, 2006

Post your northern Taiwan events here! (Events in Taipei and Xinbei should be posted in the Taipei / Xinbei Events forum.)
Forum rules
This forum is for the listing, promotion, and discussion of the specifics of events in northern Taiwan (but not Taipei/Xinbei). Please include a date in your title (e.g. 3/25) and - in the post - an address in English if possible. If you are providing the information in the form of an online photograph/flyer/poster, it is also advisable to provide the essential details in text as well, so as to facilitate ease of cut-and-paste.

As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

Please PM the Moderators or Admin if you have any concerns or queries.

Postby Omniloquacious » 09 Apr 2006, 15:47

Though it was a very gentle stroll up some none-too-steep steps, we got up high enough to have lovely views all around. It was very pleasant walking up there so far from any sight or sound of motor vehicles or any of the other assaults on the senses of daily life in Taiwan. The brisk wind and cloud cover made the going very comfortable indeed. And it certainly was a splendid spot where we plonked ourselves down to tuck into our lunch.

If we'd been able to explore further into the mine and round off the day with a swim, it would have been perfect. But even without those extras, it was a good day out. And many thanks to Brian (though I don't suppose he'll log on here and read this) for giving us a lift.

I was, however, very surprised that we didn't see any of the youtong trees I'd been expecting. There are now a couple of dozen in bloom on the hill across from my flat, and there are also large numbers of them to be seen on the way to Wulai, so it's hard to understand why there weren't at least a few clumps of them in and around Shifen.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

67 Recommends(s)
191 Recognized(s)

Postby ratbrain » 10 Apr 2006, 09:39

yes it was a fun hike! I would like to repeat that those of you who did not go all the way to the weather station really should go back there, it is a sight you will never forget. Much more spectacular than the blue streak.

thanks for the nacho recipe, irishstu, i changed my mind and had that for dinner instead and it WAS GOOOOOOOOD! :hungry:

I have the water sample here, cross your fingers for good results.
Forumosan avatar
ratbrain
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby irishstu » 10 Apr 2006, 17:20

seeker4 wrote:My favorite part was sitting on top of the ridge, not far from the weather station, overlooking Keelung (Jilong) (Jilong) harbor, etc. while eating lunch.

..and lying back on the rock to catch some rays?

Great hike. Great company, as usual. Thanks all.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

66 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Northern Taiwan Events