Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Overnight motorbike trip, Wuling Farm, May 13-14

Post your northern Taiwan events here! (Events in Taipei and Xinbei should be posted in the Taipei / Xinbei Events forum.)
Forum rules
This forum is for the listing, promotion, and discussion of the specifics of events in northern Taiwan (but not Taipei/Xinbei). Please include a date in your title (e.g. 3/25) and - in the post - an address in English if possible. If you are providing the information in the form of an online photograph/flyer/poster, it is also advisable to provide the essential details in text as well, so as to facilitate ease of cut-and-paste.

As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

Please PM the Moderators or Admin if you have any concerns or queries.

Postby Mordeth » 14 May 2006, 21:08

I regret not having been there. I've dropped my bike stopping on gravel as well....the trick is to use only the rear brake once you are moving at less than 15km/hr...as it can skid and the front cannot.

I should've at least headed up and met you near the bridges on your way back today.

And what's this I hear about some Taiwanese guy saying I slept at his house :eek: :noway: ?
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 14 May 2006, 21:14

And what's this I hear about some Taiwanese guy saying I slept at his house

Well, that's what he said. Your name just rolled off his tongue like honey! :lol:

Thanks for the head's up on the gravel stop.
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Truant » 14 May 2006, 21:29

Thanks to everyone that came and made this trip a great one. I think it is fair to say we came off a LOT better than the forecasters were giving us and all told we probably didn't have to deal with that much wetness overall.

First shot is an arty one in honor of the dominant force in the group - 60% in fact ;) (This particular one carried the most weight :oops: ) :

Just as the weather was closing in, some local boys were running (literally) to load up the cabbage trucks as we went past:

The camp was very spacious and was surrounded by wonderful misty mountains, fresh air and the occasional Formosan Hawk:

All of us were certain that we'd be packing up and heading off in the rain on Sunday, but awoke to this (shot from the truantvilla):

The road out of the farm was great, and we were thinking how awesome the return jouney was going to be. As Ratlung pointed out, we were in fact above the clouds, and had to go thru them some point soon (notice the mist rolling down the hills ahead):

After coming up the 7 in misty rain, as we went down the other side towards Baling, the conditions became perfect for the rest of the day. The coffee overlooking the valley just before we headed for home was well deserved:

As I mentioned today, we will have a few day rides coming up in the next several weeks. Initial thoughts are to revisit some roads around Baling and the #7, and also head up Yang Ming for a hot swim. Watch this space.

:bravo:
The best learning Chinese flashcards in the world are available in Taiwan at http://www.silkwormpress.com
Forumosan avatar
Truant
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Mordeth » 14 May 2006, 21:40

Truant wrote:Watch this space.

Which space?
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth

13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby MJB » 14 May 2006, 21:56

A few more misc shots from the trip...

Room with a view:

Trippy night skies:

"Yeah baby"

Just before San Baling on the way up...Fantastic riding weather.

Truant and the Missus saddling up.

Post rain/wind/fog sunshine and coffee.

The steeds at rest.

Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby Truant » 14 May 2006, 22:05

Mordeth wrote:
Truant wrote:Watch this space.

Which space?

This one:
||
||
\/
The best learning Chinese flashcards in the world are available in Taiwan at http://www.silkwormpress.com
Forumosan avatar
Truant

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby igorveni » 14 May 2006, 22:25

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!!
Great Pics! :bravo:
igorveni
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Mordeth » 14 May 2006, 22:29

You have a beautiful wife Truant. You two getting along ok recently (I know she likes men with shaved heads....I'm halfway in already)?
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth

13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Truant » 15 May 2006, 08:28

:bow: Thanks Mordeth. I'll pass that on.....not :twisted:

Considering she had the flu and still carried a 30 pound backpack without complaining I think she was a trooper this weekend. :bravo:

Look at one of those photos of me standing beside Ratlung & jdsmith, I look short, not 1.74m I tell ya. If you come on the next trip Mordeth, I really will look short :s
Forumosan avatar
Truant

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 15 May 2006, 08:29

So no one got pics of the fog huh?
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Northern Taiwan Events