Yongning MRT hike and lunch at Belgium Pie's June 3

Post your northern Taiwan events here! (Events in Taipei and Xinbei should be posted in the Taipei / Xinbei Events forum.)
Forum rules
This forum is for the listing, promotion, and discussion of the specifics of events in northern Taiwan (but not Taipei/Xinbei). Please include a date in your title (e.g. 3/25) and - in the post - an address in English if possible. If you are providing the information in the form of an online photograph/flyer/poster, it is also advisable to provide the essential details in text as well, so as to facilitate ease of cut-and-paste.

As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

Please PM the Moderators or Admin if you have any concerns or queries.

Postby Richardm » 02 Jun 2006, 19:01

Chris wrote:Judging from Google Earth, Yongning Station is about 7.2km from Belgian Kitchen as the crow flies. Just FYI.

That would be an unladen crow.
Richardm
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby seeker4 » 02 Jun 2006, 19:21

Unladen African or European crow?

Hey, by the way, a note about the new MRT extension. I've been watching the progess of the new extension by noticing changes between Taipei Main Station and Banqiao Station. Signs have started changing, some maps are updated, etc. However, there is one potentially troubling thing, considering your desire to go to Yongning Station.

You know how the MRT trains display the terminal destination station on the LED signs on the outside of the train? Well, as late as Thursday (yesterday), all of the trains headed in the direction of Yongning displayed "Far Eastern Hospital". The significance of that is that if F.E.H. is really the terminal station for the moment, due to some construction issue, etc., then the train isn't regularly going to Yongning yet.

I don't know the answer. Something that you might want to check out before tomorrow morning. The MRT has a 24-hour toll-free number, but I don't know what it is.

Back to laying down and wishing people here understood the purpose of pain medication...

Seeker4

P.S. - A map of the Yongning station area. Enjoy.
http://home.trtc.com.tw/INFO92/ebig.asp?SID=077

==========================================================
EDIT - Friday, 9:50pm - My wife got stuck on the blue line extension yesterday (forgot to get off) and so went to the end of it out of curiosity. She says it goes all the way to Yongning regardless on the LED signs on the trains. Hope that helps.
============================================================
"There is a benefit even in misfortune, for it is the rod with which a man can measure the loyalty of friends."
-Tirukkural 80:796 (Hindu text)
seeker4
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 02 Jun 2006, 23:53

Thanks for the update. Have you had the operation yet or are you just looking for relief from the pain you have now? Hope you feel better either way soon.
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
842 Recognized(s)

Postby Ironman » 03 Jun 2006, 07:27

It looks good out the window and the map shows rain maybe coming later in the day if I'm reading it right.

See you there.

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V5e/index.htm
Forumosan avatar
Ironman
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby seeker4 » 03 Jun 2006, 20:25

Muzha Man wrote:Have you had the operation yet or are you just looking for relief from the pain you have now?

I've made some progress.

So, how was the hike today?
"There is a benefit even in misfortune, for it is the rod with which a man can measure the loyalty of friends."
-Tirukkural 80:796 (Hindu text)
seeker4

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 03 Jun 2006, 21:25

seeker4 wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:Have you had the operation yet or are you just looking for relief from the pain you have now?

I've made some progress.

So, how was the hike today?

The hike was very nice - short, because we went for a late lunch at Belgian Kitchen. But it's beautiful and there's a network of trails, making for the possibility of longer hikes, even ones that lead back to Taipei. The weather turned out to be great. Hope your recovery is progressing well.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

91 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 03 Jun 2006, 22:48

Some pics:

At first we were worried this would be a real MRT hike, but the weather cooperated:

Some lovely views along the paths.

Notice we spontaneously formed a perfect triangle?

Thanks for the recommendation wix. This is a wonderful hiking area. Clear open paths run through lush forests that open up to impressive vistas. Reminds me of walking on the Fairy Footprint trail but on a more massive scale. This is the sort of place you can go and wander for hours and hours on your own without worries. The city always lays to the west of you. It would be impossible to get lost. Thank you again. I was very impressed and will go back often.

We got as far as Tianshang Shan today. I found a mention of this hill in one of the hikes in Taipei Day Trips II. So it seems we can walk all the way back to Chingan MRT station in Zhonghe. I love it. Take an MRT out to the mountains and then walk back to the city along the foothills. [/img]
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
842 Recognized(s)

Postby Ironman » 04 Jun 2006, 06:40

Lovely hike and even more lovely Belgian meal.

Sore bones today so it was good to start with a short one then work up.
Forumosan avatar
Ironman

Postby Belgian Pie » 04 Jun 2006, 09:52

Ironman wrote:Lovely hike and even more lovely Belgian meal.

Sore bones today so it was good to start with a short one then work up.

That's when age starts creeping up or in ... :D
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
83 Recognized(s)

Postby maybin » 09 Oct 2007, 20:10

My gosh, those pixs look so awesome!!
maybin
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Northern Taiwan Events