Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Wuliao Jian: Definitely NOT a Boring Hike!! June 18

Post your northern Taiwan events here! (Events in Taipei and Xinbei should be posted in the Taipei / Xinbei Events forum.)
Forum rules
This forum is for the listing, promotion, and discussion of the specifics of events in northern Taiwan (but not Taipei/Xinbei). Please include a date in your title (e.g. 3/25) and - in the post - an address in English if possible. If you are providing the information in the form of an online photograph/flyer/poster, it is also advisable to provide the essential details in text as well, so as to facilitate ease of cut-and-paste.

As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

Please PM the Moderators or Admin if you have any concerns or queries.

Wuliao Jian: Definitely NOT a Boring Hike!! June 18

Postby Mucha Man » 04 Jun 2006, 23:11

OK, we are once again heading out to the razor thin ridges south of Sanxia. This is one of the groups favorite hikes. Not the be missed. Rat, you missed it last time, so plan to come along. Same with you Ironman. Omni, you have been quiet lately. Hope you can make it.

Like last time we will have a slightly later start so we can end with dinner at Belgian Pies. If I remember, the hike was 6 hours in total including lunch and breaks. So we would want to be starting around 11.

The Taoyuan people can just meet us in Sanxia and maybe give us Taipei people a ride to the trail. Taipei people: I suggest we take the MRT to Yongning station and then a taxi to Sanxia. Should be less than NT200. I suggest the MRT because the only other option is the train to Yingge, but then we still need to cab it to Sanxia. I much prefer the convenience of the MRT, not to mention the cleanliness and lack of crowds.

BTW, one of the reasons I want to plan this hike is that Belgian Pie is closing at the end of the month. Since a stop at his restaurant after a Sanxia hike was about the best thing one could expect, I want to get the experience in as much as we can before it is over.

So, one of the best hikes in the north followed by a wonderful meal. Don't miss out.

Here is the link to the old Wuliao Jian thread. Page 1, 7, 8 are best:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... c&&start=0
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
773 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 04 Jun 2006, 23:36

Some pics to whet the appetite:

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
773 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 04 Jun 2006, 23:54

I'm definitely in.

One word of caution: as you can see in the above pictures, there's one particularly tricky descent down a rock face via a knotted rope. It's easier than it looks, but you need to have a head for heights. We've done this hike twice before and everyone made it fine - people of all ages do it - but there were a couple people who were somewhat freaked out by the descent. This is also a hike recommended for dry days only, as it would be very dangerous on those rocks in the rain.

But it's one of my favorite hikes because of the challenges and the sheer beauty of the surroundings. And unlike most hikes you will also give your upper body a workout.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 05 Jun 2006, 00:01

Chris wrote:I'm definitely in.

One word of caution: as you can see in the above pictures, there's one particularly tricky descent down a rock face via a knotted rope. It's easier than it looks, but you need to have a head for heights. We've done this hike twice before and everyone made it fine - people of all ages do it - but there were a couple people who were somewhat freaked out by the descent. This is also a hike recommended for dry days only, as it would be very dangerous on those rocks in the rain.

But it's one of my favorite hikes because of the challenges and the sheer beauty of the surroundings. And unlike most hikes you will also give your upper body a workout.

Yes, good points. Of course we will only attempt it on a dry day as you say.

I just realized that Omni has a car now. Mr O, if you come along would you be willing to take a few passengers?
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
773 Recognized(s)

Re: Wuliao Jian: Definitely NOT a Boring Hike!! June 17

Postby Jen566 » 05 Jun 2006, 00:03

It sounds to be a very exciting hike, so I am in.
Don't worry Muzha Man.. I will bring enough water this time for 6 hours of hike...
Chris, is the hike okay for someone who climbed up the summit of jade mountain?
Jen566
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Chris » 05 Jun 2006, 00:21

Yes, I think it should be no problem for you, Jen.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby Ironman » 05 Jun 2006, 07:29

Bugger. I'll be overseas for the next two hike weekends. Last hike reminded me how much a walk in the wilderness with a nice bunch of people helps survival here.

Have fun guys.
Forumosan avatar
Ironman
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby ratlung » 05 Jun 2006, 09:53

Yes, I wanted to go on this hike and a stop at BP's place afterwards would be great. I am sad to hear that he is closing, though. Nevertheless, I am only tentative in. It is still two weeks until the hike, and I am currently in the process of getting a diving license as well. So I am in between chairs and I will have to see how everything is working out.
Forumosan avatar
ratlung
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

Postby Mucha Man » 05 Jun 2006, 11:30

ratlung wrote:Yes, I wanted to go on this hike and a stop at BP's place afterwards would be great. I am sad to hear that he is closing, though. Nevertheless, I am only tentative in. It is still two weeks until the hike, and I am currently in the process of getting a diving license as well. So I am in between chairs and I will have to see how everything is working out.

D'oh. The hike s for THIS coming weekend. The 10th not the 17th. Sorry folks.
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
773 Recognized(s)

Postby ratlung » 05 Jun 2006, 11:47

Well, the weather does not look too good for this weekend. Maybe we should have a back-up plan, the ceramic museum in Yingge followed by a dinner at the "Belgium Kitchen". But again, Saturday is my scheduled diving day, but with the rain, I almost doubt it will happen.
Forumosan avatar
ratlung

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Northern Taiwan Events