River-tracing at Wawagu on July 1st

Post your northern Taiwan events here! (Events in Taipei and Xinbei should be posted in the Taipei / Xinbei Events forum.)
Forum rules
This forum is for the listing, promotion, and discussion of the specifics of events in northern Taiwan (but not Taipei/Xinbei). Please include a date in your title (e.g. 3/25) and - in the post - an address in English if possible. If you are providing the information in the form of an online photograph/flyer/poster, it is also advisable to provide the essential details in text as well, so as to facilitate ease of cut-and-paste.

As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

Please PM the Moderators or Admin if you have any concerns or queries.

Postby trail_hacker » 29 Jun 2006, 19:50

I search the web and find a interview of Jean-Marc Compain(the french boss of Freshtrek ). It seem that this place has been closed to any water activities.
「不能告訴你」,傑邁說,他常常發現新的地方很適合溯溪、攀岩,但是一講出去後,媒體再報導,就很多人湧入,政府沒有管理,環境很快被破壞,引起當地居民的反彈,結果政府就直接關閉那個地方,令他很氣餒,也很傷心。像烏來的內洞溪、桶後溪,後來都禁止水上活動。
I ask another friend. He said that he'd heard that they "close the river"(封溪) since two years ago.
trail_hacker
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby Omniloquacious » 29 Jun 2006, 19:52

trail_hacker wrote:Oh!
I just got a very bad news.
One of my friends plan to do NeiDongXi river tracing last weekend.
They go to the starting point and wear no-slip shoes. Then they are intervened by park official. He said that it's prohibited to do river tracing here.
This a very typical behavior of Taiwanese bureacrat.
They don't want take any responsibility so they prohibit any activities deemed to be "dangerous".
It seem that the only option is to start river-tracing at upstream(end of logging road)and do the opposite direction.

No problem at all. You just buy your ticket and go in like anyone else. No need to don all the gear in the car park, the way the local river-tracing groups usually do, so that everyone can see at once what they're there for. Anyway, we won't be using any of the gear except the non-slip shoes, and you never want to put those on until you actually start off up the river, because they're much too hot and uncomfortable to walk in along the gravel paths.

And, of course, you can always get there before 8 o'clock in the morning, when the Forestry Bureau personnel turn up for work and start selling tickets. The entrance is always open, and you can come and go freely and do whatever you like without interference before 8 am and after 5 pm.

But the good news is: if they're stopping the geared-up river-tracing groups from going in, then we'll almost certainly have the whole stream to ourselves. I was thinking that we might have to share it with a couple of other groups as it's the first weekend in July, but perhaps that won't be so after all. Hip hip hooray!
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
63 Recommends(s)
189 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 29 Jun 2006, 20:06

Omniloquacious wrote:
trail_hacker wrote:Oh!
I just got a very bad news.
One of my friends plan to do NeiDongXi river tracing last weekend.
They go to the starting point and wear no-slip shoes. Then they are intervened by park official. He said that it's prohibited to do river tracing here.
This a very typical behavior of Taiwanese bureacrat.
They don't want take any responsibility so they prohibit any activities deemed to be "dangerous".
It seem that the only option is to start river-tracing at upstream(end of logging road)and do the opposite direction.

No problem at all. You just buy your ticket and go in like anyone else. No need to don all the gear in the car park, the way the local river-tracing groups usually do, so that everyone can see at once what they're there for. Anyway, we won't be using any of the gear except the non-slip shoes, and you never want to put those on until you actually start off up the river, because they're much too hot and uncomfortable to walk in along the gravel paths.

And, of course, you can always get there before 8 o'clock in the morning, when the Forestry Bureau personnel turn up for work and start selling tickets. The entrance is always open, and you can come and go freely and do whatever you like without interference before 8 am and after 5 pm.

But the good news is: if they're stopping the geared-up river-tracing groups from going in, then we'll almost certainly have the whole stream to ourselves. I was thinking that we might have to share it with a couple of other groups as it's the first weekend in July, but perhaps that won't be so after all. Hip hip hooray!

Yeah, that sounds more like it.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Omniloquacious » 29 Jun 2006, 20:11

trail_hacker wrote:I search the web and find a interview of Jean-Marc Compain(the french boss of Freshtrek ). It seem that this place has been closed to any water activities.
「不能告訴你」,傑邁說,他常常發現新的地方很適合溯溪、攀岩,但是一講出去後,媒體再報導,就很多人湧入,政府沒有管理,環境很快被破壞,引起當地居民的反彈,結果政府就直接關閉那個地方,令他很氣餒,也很傷心。像烏來的內洞溪、桶後溪,後來都禁止水上活動。
I ask another friend. He said that he'd heard that they "close the river"(封溪) since two years ago.

So Jean-Marc mentions that the Tonghou Stream (桶後溪) has also been officially closed, but I've been up there within the last month and swum in the river the same as usual, and there wasn't anyone or any sign prohibiting it. I did notice that they'd put up no camping and no barbecuing signs in a couple of the most popular camping spots, but there were still people camping and barbecuing there the same as before.

There was also a new checkpoint set up by Aborigines halfway along the road. They flagged me down, took my name and the number of my scooter, exchanged a few friendly words, and gave me a newly published leaflet introducing some of the features of the Tonghou Stream basin. But they didn't ask me what I intended to do in there, or say anything about what I could or couldn't do. Nor did the policeman when he gave me my entry pass to the protected area, and he's known me for years and is very well aware that I go in there swim.
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious

ORIGINAL POSTER
63 Recommends(s)
189 Recognized(s)

Postby trail_hacker » 29 Jun 2006, 20:39

So it's very probable that my friend has been stopped because their group is big, commercial, and showing their gear at the entry of park.
It should really be wonderful if we can monopolize this place.
trail_hacker

Postby sandman » 29 Jun 2006, 21:03

trail_hacker wrote:So it's very probable that my friend has been stopped because their group is big, commercial, and showing their gear at the entry of park.
It should really be wonderful if we can monopolize this place.

I won't really affect me, as I usually go with just one other person, sometimes two. But with your lot it might even be worth meeting up at the start of the river and entering the park in ones and twos. But as Trailhacker says, it sounds more like they're doing it the easy cha bu duo way and just stopping the big groups that are easy to spot.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 29 Jun 2006, 22:16

OK, Kitty can't go because her leg still needs to heal. Here we are - two people recovering from hiking injuries! It means we're dedicated hikers!
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

82 Recommends(s)
175 Recognized(s)

Postby travel gal » 29 Jun 2006, 23:10

[quote="Omniloquacious"]
Do you mean just this Saturday is no good for you, or Saturdays in general are no good for you?[/quote]

Every Saturday is no good... pls try to arrange such fun event on Sunday... pls...:(
travel gal
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Omniloquacious » 30 Jun 2006, 07:50

Chris wrote:OK, Kitty can't go because her leg still needs to heal. Here we are - two people recovering from hiking injuries!

You are a couple of crocks, aren't you! I hope you'll both recover quickly and we'll see you back out on the trails and streams soon.

travel gal wrote:
Omniloquacious wrote:Do you mean just this Saturday is no good for you, or Saturdays in general are no good for you?

Every Saturday is no good... pls try to arrange such fun event on Sunday... pls...:(

MM will surely be organizing many a Sunday jaunt in the months ahead, especially as several keen hikers are only able to make it on Sundays.
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious

ORIGINAL POSTER
63 Recommends(s)
189 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 30 Jun 2006, 10:28

So Karen and Ironan and Rats are you guys coming? Brian and Anna are so I at least have a ride. And Jen too can go with us.

Omni, will you be taking your car? I asked Brian to meet me at Xindian station at 9am. That gives us plenty of time to get to Neidong by 10am.

If there are no extra people needing a ride then we can just meet at Neidong at 10am. Trail_hacker, how are you getting there? And what about Lupilus?

People please try to answer before 6pm as I have no internet at home. if no resppnses then jen meet me at Xindian MRT at 9am. Everyone else get to Neidong somehow by 10am.
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

710 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Northern Taiwan Events