Mexico Sabroso (Zhongli)

Post your northern Taiwan events here! (Events in Taipei and Xinbei should be posted in the Taipei / Xinbei Events forum.)
Forum rules
This forum is for the listing, promotion, and discussion of the specifics of events in northern Taiwan (but not Taipei/Xinbei). Please include a date in your title (e.g. 3/25) and - in the post - an address in English if possible. If you are providing the information in the form of an online photograph/flyer/poster, it is also advisable to provide the essential details in text as well, so as to facilitate ease of cut-and-paste.

As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

Please PM the Moderators or Admin if you have any concerns or queries.

Mexico Sabroso (Zhongli)

Postby xtrain » 14 Dec 2007, 19:33

Hi all,

Posting for a good friend who has opened an authentic Mexican eatery in Zhongli. The laoban's name is Isa Bayardo. He's been in Taiwan for around ten years off and on, mostly teaching. For the last year, he's had the itch to share some of the cooking he brought in for his students/coworkers with a wider audience.

Mexico Sabroso has been open for just over a month. It's a very close to Chung Yuan University (the Christian one) in Zhongli - we'll try to get a map up (paging Truant?). If you are on the road to Chung Yuan, the last traffic light before the entrance is where you want to turn left. Proceed about 50 meters, and you'll see the place on your right - it's set a little off the road, so just keep your eyes open. He's got ample seating - room for 40 or so (though it does fill up at dinner time) - as well as take out.

The prices are great - here's the menu (that is currently being expanded):

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4835/sabrosaar6.jpg

Best of all, the food is authentically prepared on the premises, including the salsas.

Isa's got plans to add entertainment and such in the future, but is concentrating on the food and service at the moment. He'll likely post something here once he gets a bit of time free - some of the family will be here in the next week from Mexico to give him a hand.

If you're in the area, check it out.
Looking for a place to happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
Forumosan avatar
xtrain
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
42 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 14 Dec 2007, 19:59

Looks good enough for a trip to Zhongli for sure. No chance of a bigger photo? I can't read that one. Also, how come no-one seems interested in Mexican dishes other than the taco/tortilla/tostada-based ones?
I'd DEFINITELY make the journey for some shrimp or swordfish veracruz, for example. Or a nice mole. Come on, you Mexicans! You all know perfectly well there's an absolute wealth of wonderful dishes out there.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby xtrain » 14 Dec 2007, 20:12

sandman wrote:Looks good enough for a trip to Zhongli (Zhongli) for sure. No chance of a bigger photo? I can't read that one.

Sorry - working on a Chinese based computer. Can likely do better tonight/tomorrow. Any reason why the photo doesn't expand when you mouse over - I thought that feature would help?

Also, how come no-one seems interested in Mexican dishes other than the taco/tortilla/tostada-based ones? I'd DEFINITELY make the journey for some shrimp or swordfish veracruz, for example. Or a nice mole. Come on, you Mexicans! You all know perfectly well there's an absolute wealth of wonderful dishes out there.

With a bigger photo, his email will be visible: mexicosabroso@hotmail.com

I don't know exactly what his plans are for menu expansion, but feel free to email him, or ask if you drop in. Perhaps he can do something up.

By the way, the hours are 11-2:30 for lunch, and 5-8 for dinner. Open seven days a week at this point.
Forumosan avatar
xtrain

ORIGINAL POSTER
42 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 14 Dec 2007, 20:21

Well, it would be a bit impudent to ask him to expand his menu before I've even been there! But for sure I'll maybe mention it when I make it down there for a meal. Maybe some cochinita pibii done with achiote and cooked in a banana leaf -- or how about mole Oaxaqueno, with the bananas in?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby xtrain » 14 Dec 2007, 20:55

Think I've got things figured out.

Note that the only feasible car parking in the area is under Chung Yuan Elementary School, which is only a two minute walk away.
Forumosan avatar
xtrain

ORIGINAL POSTER
42 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Re: Mexico Sabroso (Zhongli)

Postby Truant » 14 Dec 2007, 21:21

xtrain wrote:It's a very close to Chung Yuan University (the Christian one) in Zhongli - we'll try to get a map up (paging Truant?). If you are on the road to Chung Yuan, the last traffic light before the entrance is where you want to turn left. Proceed about 50 meters, and you'll see the place on your right - it's set a little off the road, so just keep your eyes open.

xtrain, please check out this google map , if it's correct, I'll make up a static one, but that one is good for zooming out and panning around.
The best learning Chinese flashcards in the world are available in Taiwan at http://www.silkwormpress.com
Forumosan avatar
Truant
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby xtrain » 15 Dec 2007, 00:16

Truant wrote:xtrain, please check out this google map , if it's correct, I'll make up a static one, but that one is good for zooming out and panning around.

that sir, is perfect.

the restaurant is almost directly across from the family mart on that _____ de street (can't make out the word). you need to walk another ten steps past the FM, and you'll see the sign (remember that it's off the road a little, but still easy to spot).

sandman, if you're planning to go, let me know approx when. unfortunately, I don't make it out to taipei much, but I'll join you for a taco and a beer.
Forumosan avatar
xtrain

ORIGINAL POSTER
42 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby elektronisk » 15 Dec 2007, 12:31

sandman wrote:Also, how come no-one seems interested in Mexican dishes other than the taco/tortilla/tostada-based ones?
I'd DEFINITELY make the journey for some shrimp or swordfish veracruz, for example. Or a nice mole. Come on, you Mexicans! You all know perfectly well there's an absolute wealth of wonderful dishes out there.

oooh Tamales. :homer:
"We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy." - Her

There is a truth and it's on our side,
Dawn is coming , open your eyes - José González

Make love your goal, not your gaol.
A wise man can learn more from himself than he could learn from anyone else, if only he seeks and listens.
Afar isn't as bad as it sounds, it is the longevity of it that hurts.
Smile and make others feel happy today.
Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest.
Forumosan avatar
elektronisk
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

63 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 15 Dec 2007, 13:12

xtrain wrote:sandman, if you're planning to go, let me know approx when. unfortunately, I don't make it out to Taipei much, but I'll join you for a taco and a beer.

Absolutely. Don't know when it'll be though -- I'm pretty well-booked up for the next couple of weekends.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Greetings from the Mexico Sabroso Chef

Postby MexicoSabroso » 21 Dec 2007, 00:39

Hello everyone! Im glad to have the chance to bring you genuine Mexican food to Taiwan, Im from Mexico and I am here to make the type of food you can only get inside Mexico. Come, it will be a memory you will remember always with a smile and wanting to have it again and again... Pics of dishes coming up...

Cheers everyone and FELIZ NAVIDAD!

Isa
Come enjoy genuine Mexican Food, right in the heart of Taiwan. All food made daily by Mexican Chef. Great Atmosphere, fun music, clean and irresistable prices! Visit us here: www.mexicosabroso.net
MexicoSabroso
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Northern Taiwan Events