Pingxi Sky Lantern 2010

Post your northern Taiwan events here! (Events in Taipei and Xinbei should be posted in the Taipei / Xinbei Events forum.)
Forum rules
This forum is for the listing, promotion, and discussion of the specifics of events in northern Taiwan (but not Taipei/Xinbei). Please include a date in your title (e.g. 3/25) and - in the post - an address in English if possible. If you are providing the information in the form of an online photograph/flyer/poster, it is also advisable to provide the essential details in text as well, so as to facilitate ease of cut-and-paste.

As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

Please PM the Moderators or Admin if you have any concerns or queries.

Pingxi Sky Lantern 2010

Postby cfimages » 07 Feb 2010, 10:55

Looks like the 28th Feb is the date for the main lantern release. Anyone going?

http://act.tourism.tpc.gov.tw/skylanter ... info1.html
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

ORIGINAL POSTER
153 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)

Re: Pingxi Sky Lantern 2010

Postby divea » 07 Feb 2010, 11:18

28th is too far ahead to plan, but what time do they release them??? I'd love to go. We have driven to Pingxi but will you be taking the train??? Around when??

Sorry too many questions, but then I'd get a general idea of how to plan the day- for the KIDDOS!!!!
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 07 Feb 2010, 11:24

I think they start releasing around 6pm and go on until 10. Not sure how we'll get there - maybe a bus or taxi from Muzha.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages

ORIGINAL POSTER
153 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 07 Feb 2010, 12:10

oh cool. Thanks. 6 seems like a decent hour. Thanks, we'll probably drive down and waste hours to find a place to park :loco:
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea

321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 07 Feb 2010, 14:13

Yep, train, but with exchange.

They add buses from Zoo Station, so you can take MRT then switch to buses.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

534 Recommends(s)
416 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 07 Feb 2010, 14:18

cfimages wrote:I think they start releasing around 6pm and go on until 10. Not sure how we'll get there - maybe a bus or taxi from Muzha.

Traffic restrictions that day. Only way to get there is shuttle bus from Muzha or the Pingxi railway line, which will be overcrowded as hell.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

78 Recommends(s)
169 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 07 Feb 2010, 14:23

shuttle bus from Muzha or the Pingxi railway line, which will be overcrowded as hell.

We took the shuttle to the firework festival a few months ago. NEVER AGAIN!!!! :no-no:
- Leo Roston
divea

321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 07 Feb 2010, 14:34

divea wrote:
shuttle bus from Muzha or the Pingxi railway line, which will be overcrowded as hell.

We took the shuttle to the firework festival a few months ago. NEVER AGAIN!!!! :no-no:

It's different. That was a one time, badly planned event. This Pinxi thing, there is transportation by train or bus, plus it is a week long, so crowds spread out a bit more evenly.

And they have big buses for the visitors.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

534 Recommends(s)
416 Recognized(s)

Postby mingshah » 07 Feb 2010, 15:03

The last time I went I met up with BelgianPie, we drove early that day to the first exit on freeway 5, parked the car there and took the shuttle from there (lived in Longtan at that time, so had to come with car to Taipei anyway...).

We were really early and took planty of shots in the village that day too. There are lots of things going on before it gets dark, people buying their own bit laterns and than writting their wishes on, etc.

There are also great shots possible when the village fills with people, basically people walking on the train line and than when a train comes they splitt and the train just rolls with walking speed through the crowd, kind of what you see on documentaries about India... :)

We also headed off a bit earlier and didn't wait till the very last start, so we had a comparable easy ride back, got out with the car without problems too than.

here one of the lucky shots I took that time...

Not sure how I will have time this year.
The Beauty of Taiwan: http://youtu.be/LfVzQzzAF-M
mingshah
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

18 Recognized(s)

Postby scarab1169 » 07 Feb 2010, 15:53

I would love to go! Question : coming from Kaohsiung what would be the easiest, cheapest and quickest way to get there? Much more importance on easy and cheap.
scarab1169
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Next

x

Return to Northern Taiwan Events