A Lament for the passing of Taichung nightlife..?

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

A Lament for the passing of Taichung nightlife..?

Postby saisai » 05 Jun 2012, 02:41

I'll get straight to the point...anybody know of any good pubs still surviving in Taichung? I'm not talking lounge/sofa/comfy chair/rattan effing love seat/pay through-your-arse-for-drinks-with-silly-names establishments here -I mean pubs, of the kind that used to exist here until his Regal Majesty God-Emperor (ahem, I mean Mayor) Hu forced the closure of so many of our favorite watering holes for nefarious "infringements" of His Grace's wondrous safety regulations?

I'm an old-timer, been here in Taichung for 13 years, seen many things come and go in this city (mostly go, sadly) and I remember the days when Taichung was a (dare I say it) "fun", place to be of an evening. I miss some of the friendly pub owners (anybody know what happened to Chief?), the many talented Taiwanese musicians I made friends with, and the assorted loonies that I used to bump into.

So, any of the old places still surviving, or any new ones risen to take their place? I'm only asking because I'm a middle-aged, married curmudgeon who doesn't get out very much these days...unfortunately.

And yes, I like a beer or three from time to time. And no, I'm not an raving alcoholic. Honest

This is a re-post. In my late night beer-induced befuddlement, I posted this in the wrong forum earlier....apologies.
saisai
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recognized(s)

Re: A Lament for the passing of Taichung nightlife..?

Postby stare » 19 Jun 2012, 11:55

saisai wrote:I'll get straight to the point...anybody know of any good pubs still surviving in Taichung?

Regretfully, no I don't know of any good ones.

Having said that you can always try La Bodega or UZO.
stare
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taichung & Central Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs