Little India Recommendations?

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Little India Recommendations?

Postby Dark Horse » 24 Aug 2009, 12:18

I just returned from a short trip to Taichung. While there I wandered around Little India near SOGO but it wasn’t mealtime so nothing was open. I’m hoping to get back in the somewhat near future and just wanted to ask Forumosans for their recommendations for/against eateries in Little India. In another thread Bollywood was recommended for curry a couple of years ago. Still a good place? I saw another restaurant advertising Thai food and beer. I think it was called Gramma’s something. Good for Thai? Any feedback from recent experiences would be appreciated.
Dark Horse
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Re: Little India Recommendations?

Postby rice_t » 24 Aug 2009, 12:53

Dark Horse wrote:I just returned from a short trip to Taichung. While there I wandered around Little India near SOGO but it wasn’t mealtime so nothing was open. I’m hoping to get back in the somewhat near future and just wanted to ask Forumosans for their recommendations for/against eateries in Little India. In another thread Bollywood was recommended for curry a couple of years ago. Still a good place? I saw another restaurant advertising Thai food and beer. I think it was called Gramma’s something. Good for Thai? Any feedback from recent experiences would be appreciated.

I don't know much about the Indian's around Sogo, but there is a Bollywood in Xitun Rd, (in the new busy area near Taichung Science Park), which I find OK, but I prefer the other Indian restaurant a few shops further up, forgot what it is called though. If somebody is interested I can find out.
Impeach Jason Hu!
Forumosan avatar
rice_t
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Dark Horse » 26 Aug 2009, 11:57

rice_t wrote:

I don't know much about the Indian's around Sogo, but there is a Bollywood in Xitun Rd, (in the new busy area near Taichung Science Park …

Thanks for the feedback rice_t. That is the area I am referring to; Jianxing Road, across the street from SOGO. An article in Travel in Taiwan magazine referred to it as Little India. Perhaps that name is not so well known (at least in English) in Taichung?

rice_t wrote:
…I prefer the other Indian restaurant a few shops further up, forgot what it is called though. If somebody is interested I can find out.

I’m interested! If you pass it sometime and can post the name and what you like about it I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

Anyone else have any feedback?
Dark Horse

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsully8 » 29 Sep 2009, 15:06

I know I'm a little late, but...

the two indian places my wife and I frequent are "the spice shop" which is near the corner of jiansing and taichung port/harbour (just about two stores east on jiansing) and the actual restaurant called "little india" and they're both right near to the splendor hotel. little india is our new favorite. the prices include naan and rice, so we were able to get three veggie dishes with three rices and three things of naan for about 630 NT. let me know if you have any questions or can't find them.
jdsully8
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

Postby Adam_CLO » 29 Sep 2009, 16:37

I like Andrew restaurant in the same area (couple of doors next to Kebabish). They have a meal set where you just order a curry and can get unlimited rice, naan and soft drinks to go with that. Great way to try different flavors of naan. I like Bollywood's biriyani, although it's a big pricey.

The good thing about Spice shop is that it doesn't seem to have the rest period (2 to 5 p.m.) that the other restaurants have, so if you go during that time, they will be the only Indian restaurant open.
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby 808state » 24 Nov 2009, 13:44

bollywood is pricey but well worth it imo.
A M S O I L
1). 18,000km or 9 month oil change
2). fuel efficient
3). group IV (PAO)
http://www.LLLube.com
Forumosan avatar
808state
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby mei0319 » 18 Aug 2012, 22:24

I am curious about this Little India. Have you seen anything like it would carry henna, the coloring powder Indian women use to dye their hair and paint their hands?
mei0319
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taichung & Central Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs