Is it Dead in Taichung Then?

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Re: Is it Dead in Taichung Then?

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 30 Jun 2011, 23:09

Baas Babelaas wrote:
over 200, no room to post all the names. among western hangouts count 89k, Londoner, La Bodega, Fubar....

Over 200? :ponder: I never knew there were so many joints getting nailed.

Fubar was open when I was there in later April. But it's closed now?

It is not closed, but is losing money. Small places are being closed for serving liquor past 10 o'clock. Meanwhile, Chili's and TGI Friday's are allowed to stay open.
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 01 Jul 2011, 00:02

Fuck yeah. What a hole.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Dougster » 01 Jul 2011, 01:00

That's terrible ... I used to love heading down to Taichung for the nightlife. Can't believe "The Londoner" is closed.
"A pair of quadruple whiskys and a pair of pints please" Withnail
Forumosan avatar
Dougster
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 01 Jul 2011, 13:17

Dougster wrote:That's terrible ... I used to love heading down to Taichung for the nightlife. Can't believe "The Londoner" is closed.

Speaking of 'dying' in Taichung, I met the owner of Londoner a few weeks ago. He said not to work in a kindergarten in Taichung as there are crackdowns going on in other areas of life as well. It is so nice to know that the draconian government is looking out for the best interest of the people :roll: .
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta

Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby pqkdzrwt » 01 Jul 2011, 14:21

ROFLMAO, thanks for the laugh (:

Remins me of that scene in "Team America" where the UN dude is telling Kim Jong Il to stop with the nuclear weapons, and says "what are you going to do about it" (:
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 01 Jul 2011, 16:19

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:
Dougster wrote:That's terrible ... I used to love heading down to Taichung for the nightlife. Can't believe "The Londoner" is closed.

Speaking of 'dying' in Taichung, I met the owner of Londoner a few weeks ago. He said not to work in a kindergarten in Taichung as there are crackdowns going on in other areas of life as well. It is so nice to know that the draconian government is looking out for the best interest of the people :roll: .[/quote

Seriously, people here complain when nobody follows the rules, 9 people die in a fire and then when the government enforces the rules they complain too, ya can't win. If people want the old Taiwan Wild West they should move to Vietnam, I'm serious!
But of course then they'd be complaining about the stench and the cheap bosses and the corrupt police... :)

Somebody mentioned TGI and Chilli's stay open, those places most likely have a permit and fire escape and they are obviously restaurants, not really bars.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1719 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 01 Jul 2011, 19:21

And there I was considering a move back to the Chungle.

Sounds tame these days..
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Puppet » 04 Jul 2011, 13:07

Somebody mentioned TGI and Chilli's stay open, those places most likely have a permit and fire escape and they are obviously restaurants, not really bars.

Why are they "obviously restaurants?"

I can go in and:
--get food
--get beer
--get mixed drinks
--watch TV

Those are the reasons the Taichung Government is closing bars. Maybe you can shed light on it....why is Londoner, which serves brunch, burgers, fish and chips, BBQ, and a variety of other foods NOT LEGALLY considered a restaurant while TGI Friday's is? Why are businesses closing because they have a TV?

From what I understand from people who know better than I, Friday's or Chili's does NOT have the required registration to do what they do because it simply does not exist. I'll check for a better explanation now and report back on exactly what that means. But I know places are closing bars for the exact same reasons other places are allowed to be open.

Why can a group of inspectors walk into a bar and say, "Your TV has sports on it, so you must close." Then go celebrate at TGI Friday's and watch La New take on Los Enphants in a heated baseball game while trying everything on the drink menu, all without them legally being allowed to serve it under current Taichung laws!?

Please share your wisdom, because the inspectors can't even answer why.

Regarding Fu Bar: yes. It's closed for now. They say it's because of vacations. I think they're smart and just realizing there is no hope for the city and waiting until this whole thing blows over.
Forumosan avatar
Puppet
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

60 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

Postby plasmatron » 04 Jul 2011, 13:22

Where the majority of foreign frequented watering holes are falling foul of the Mad Mayor of Taichung is that according to the government if an establishment serves liquor other than beer after 10pm it's a bar. Bars need to be registered and certified as such (ie.not operating on a coffee shop/restaurant/tea shop/小吃店 licence as many are/were) and located in an area zoned for commercial use and in a premises inspected and certified accordingly.
"freedom is allowed, but not encouraged." Teng Tien-yu, secretary-general, Taiwan central election comittee
Forumosan avatar
plasmatron
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

3 Recommends(s)
20 Recognized(s)

Postby Puppet » 04 Jul 2011, 13:43

Ever actually BEEN to a fish restaurant past 10:00?
Forumosan avatar
Puppet

60 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Taichung & Central Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs