Maximizing Seating

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Maximizing Seating

Postby housecat » 12 Oct 2011, 12:06

*Mods, I know this is not about restaurants per-say, but I don't think it fits in teaching, and I'm trying to reach restaurant owners who have some expert knowledge about my topic. Feel free to move it anywhere you might think it's a better fit.

I have a themed classroom, and this semester we have a restaurant theme going on. For now, I've got just chairs in the room, but in a month or so, I'll need tables, too. I need to "seat" 36 kids in this mock up, but don't have much room. Tables will be two wooden elementary school desks pushed together and covered with a table cloth.

I'm not asking for a floor plan, or seating design, and I couldn't explain my classroom dimensions anyway.

I'm asking if there are ways to maximize seating that I could apply to my classroom. The kids and I need to be able to get around the room, and of course to sit at the tables and get back up again.

I am doing all this myself, and moving around a lot of furniture is something I'd rather get right the first time, if possible.

Any suggestions?
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6613
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 16 Jun 2003, 18:14
Location: Seven Bridges Road
96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)



Re: Maximizing Seating

Postby elektronisk » 12 Oct 2011, 16:09

If no one has professional insight, you might want to try a free online room layout tool (like planner from Americandrew) and see what you come up with.

Either that or ask someone who plays the restaurant games on Facebook. You might do a search for hints or cheats for those games. They would tell you how best to arrange your restaurant to maximize flow and service.
"We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy." - Her

There is a truth and it's on our side,
Dawn is coming , open your eyes - José González

Make love your goal, not your gaol.
A wise man can learn more from himself than he could learn from anyone else, if only he seeks and listens.
Afar isn't as bad as it sounds, it is the longevity of it that hurts.
Smile and make others feel happy today.
Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest.
Forumosan avatar
elektronisk
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: 05 May 2004, 21:22
Location: here
63 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)



Re: Maximizing Seating

Postby housecat » 12 Oct 2011, 16:53

elektronisk wrote:If no one has professional insight, you might want to try a free online room layout tool (like planner from Americandrew) and see what you come up with.

Either that or ask someone who plays the restaurant games on Facebook. You might do a search for hints or cheats for those games. They would tell you how best to arrange your restaurant to maximize flow and service.


Hey, thanks! Nice link!
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6613
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 16 Jun 2003, 18:14
Location: Seven Bridges Road
96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)



Re: Maximizing Seating

Postby elektronisk » 12 Oct 2011, 23:59

housecat wrote:I'm asking if there are ways to maximize seating that I could apply to my classroom. The kids and I need to be able to get around the room, and of course to sit at the tables and get back up again.


That actually sounds like a good project in itself to have the kids solve. In fact, your situation actually could be worked so that the kids came up with solutions and moved everything themselves to see what worked best. But 1) I don't know what kind of class it is (but even if it was a language class the instructions/debates/commands/requests would be useful vocabulary practice) and 2) I'm not a teacher. :lol: But it seems like it could be a lot of fun and rewarding for the students if they figured it out themselves.
"We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy." - Her

There is a truth and it's on our side,
Dawn is coming , open your eyes - José González

Make love your goal, not your gaol.
A wise man can learn more from himself than he could learn from anyone else, if only he seeks and listens.
Afar isn't as bad as it sounds, it is the longevity of it that hurts.
Smile and make others feel happy today.
Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest.
Forumosan avatar
elektronisk
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: 05 May 2004, 21:22
Location: here
63 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)



Re: Maximizing Seating

Postby housecat » 13 Oct 2011, 09:23

elektronisk wrote:
housecat wrote:I'm asking if there are ways to maximize seating that I could apply to my classroom. The kids and I need to be able to get around the room, and of course to sit at the tables and get back up again.


That actually sounds like a good project in itself to have the kids solve. In fact, your situation actually could be worked so that the kids came up with solutions and moved everything themselves to see what worked best. But 1) I don't know what kind of class it is (but even if it was a language class the instructions/debates/commands/requests would be useful vocabulary practice) and 2) I'm not a teacher. :lol: But it seems like it could be a lot of fun and rewarding for the students if they figured it out themselves.


Yes, if this were anything near a regular class, even an English class, it would be a great project. Critical thinking and problem solving skills that no Taiwanese teacher is ever likely to teach them are built right in!

But I can't do that. I have about 150 classes, across 4 grades, to get in and out of my classroom in the next few months. I have each class for a total of 40 minutes (less the time it takes them to get to my class from their other classrooms), and I have to have a "product" to sell to other schools who come here, or that I can take to other schools.

I like it, though. You sound like you'd make a good teacher!
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6613
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 16 Jun 2003, 18:14
Location: Seven Bridges Road
96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)



Re: Maximizing Seating

Postby baberenglish » 13 Oct 2011, 09:33

If space and quantity of kids are a problem, try a U configuration. Probably the most efficient in this situation, gives you a middle area to put something, kids come in a walk behind the desks, plus they can sit on either side of the desks....in effect doubling the number of students. I have a pretty small classroom where I have to fit in 25 junior high kids, works like a charm!
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
 
Posts: 554
Joined: 11 Nov 2010, 18:01
13 Recognized(s)



Re: Maximizing Seating

Postby asiababy » 13 Oct 2011, 11:34

Housecat,

Are you getting involved in an "English Village" program? I'm currently preparing students to take part in one, and as a "potential customer" would be happy to share my experience, including examples of what I think should have been provided by the hosting school to help us prepare.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
 
Posts: 1784
Joined: 17 Mar 2004, 11:56
Location: A hill in Keelung
2 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)



Re: Maximizing Seating

Postby housecat » 13 Oct 2011, 11:48

asiababy wrote:Housecat,

Are you getting involved in an "English Village" program? I'm currently preparing students to take part in one, and as a "potential customer" would be happy to share my experience, including examples of what I think should have been provided by the hosting school to help us prepare.


See PM, Asiababy.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6613
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 16 Jun 2003, 18:14
Location: Seven Bridges Road
96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)



Re: Maximizing Seating

Postby Chris » 13 Oct 2011, 12:07

Must resist... muuuuusssst resist... nnngggghhh... muuuuuuuusssssttt resist.... (snap!)

Damn... sorry, the pedant in me is just too overpowering, and is demanding that this be addressed...

housecat wrote:*Mods, I know this is not about restaurants per-say


It's "per se", and should be italicized because it's Latin. :grandpa:

OK. Sorry about that. Carry on...
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 15062
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 15:51
Location: Type-A, Tie-one-on
96 Recommends(s)
217 Recognized(s)



Re: Maximizing Seating

Postby housecat » 13 Oct 2011, 12:09

Chris wrote:Must resist... muuuuusssst resist... nnngggghhh... muuuuuuuusssssttt resist.... (snap!)

Damn... sorry, the pedant in me is just too overpowering, and is demanding that this be addressed...

housecat wrote:*Mods, I know this is not about restaurants per-say


It's "per se", and should be italicized because it's Latin. :grandpa:

OK. Sorry about that. Carry on...


You're forgiven. I understand. :)
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6613
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 16 Jun 2003, 18:14
Location: Seven Bridges Road
96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next




Proceed to Kaohsiung & Southern Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 visitor

The old believe everything;
the middle aged suspect everything:
the young know everything
-- OSCAR WILDE