Greek Food - Kaohsiung

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Greek Food - Kaohsiung

Postby L-A » 01 Feb 2005, 23:33

Gasp! My prayers have been answered! Someone has opened a Greek restaurant in Kaohsiung! :bouncy:

The Parthenon Mediterranean Restaurant - 211 Minghua 1st Rd, Zuoying, Kaohsiung. Open 11am-11pm. Closed Mondays.

Haven't been there yet. But will probably be waiting on the front door step when they open tomorrow. I'm crazy about Greek food.
L-A
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby naguoning » 02 Feb 2005, 13:51

Don't get your hopes up. The food was NOT good when I went there. Half of what was on the menu was not available. I went there with a Taiwanese person who does not speak English. We had to tell them quite a few times to talk to her in Chinese etc. Arrogant biatch who was serving us seemed to feel some need to show of her English. Beyond that their idea of Greek deserts is a joke. Nothing like what I would expect inspite of their arrogant rant on their menu about the deserts.
Although it is far from perfect I think the Greek restraunt in Tainan is a lot better than the one in Gaoxiong (Kaohsiung). It is on GongYuan Lu. Not sure of the number, but it is not hard to find.
naguoning
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Durins Bane » 02 Feb 2005, 13:54

naguoning wrote:Don't get your hopes up. The food was NOT good when I went there. Half of what was on the menu was not available. I went there with a Taiwanese person who does not speak English. We had to tell them quite a few times to talk to her in Chinese etc. Arrogant biatch who was serving us seemed to feel some need to show of her English. Beyond that their idea of Greek deserts is a joke. Nothing like what I would expect inspite of their arrogant rant on their menu about the deserts.
Although it is far from perfect I think the Greek restraunt in Tainan is a lot better than the one in Gaoxiong (Kaohsiung). It is on GongYuan Lu. Not sure of the number, but it is not hard to find.

Yep.
Guns don't kill people...magic missles do.

My first level orc is smarter than your honor student.
Durins Bane
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

7 Recognized(s)

Postby L-A » 02 Feb 2005, 21:45

:( You were both right.
Babaganoush, icky. Spanikopita needed more feta.
And I had the same experience re: English speaking waitress. I haven't had this happen to me in a restaurant for at least a year because my Chinese is, well, pretty good I guess. Felt like a slap in the face.
Also, not cheap.
Was willing to give the place another chance, just in case this was a one-off dodgy experience, but it sounds like this is the norm.

Give this place a miss!
L-A

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby James651 » 02 Oct 2005, 20:57

I just ate there, horrible!!!

I love Turkish food and whoever taught them how to make it is out of their mind
James651
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

2 Recognized(s)

There's not much Greek about the place

Postby Diego » 16 Mar 2007, 13:32

I went there excitedly too. Taiwanese friends who heard me mention the Greek restaurant in Tainan told me about the Parthenon.

So I went there, sat down and looked at the menu. I asked the waiter "Where's the Greek food?" He said "there is none". I asked, "Yeah, but isn't this a Greek restaurant?" He answered, "It's just decorated in Greek style."

So, I left.

But I came back a year or so later. A friend, my daughter and I ate the usual fare jien kao that you can find everywhere. They sell very nice chocolate covered almonds !
Diego
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

The Parthenon

Postby finsarefun » 23 Mar 2007, 10:28

This restaurant is now closed at the above location. It is supposed to open again in April or May 2007 at a new location which will be advertised in the local press. Lets hope the food is better too :)
From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free. - Jacques Cousteau . ><_><_><(((º>
><_><_><(((º>
finsarefun
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Re: Greek Food - Kaohsiung

Postby Lo Bo To » 01 Mar 2009, 03:00

Are there any Mediterranean restaurants in KS that are open and decent? I'll be in town tomorrow and want some yummy food.
Forumosan avatar
Lo Bo To
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Re: Greek Food - Kaohsiung

Postby ekphrastic » 21 Sep 2011, 11:39

Lo Bo To wrote:Are there any Mediterranean restaurants in KS that are open and decent? I'll be in town tomorrow and want some yummy food.

There's Mr. Greek on 213 Fumin road. Its just south of Minghua I believe. Its a pseudo fast-food joint, I went there during their first week of operation about a month ago, so there may have been some hiccups- had their lamb platter and was disappointed because it was pretty tough and over-seasoned. Also, the hummous was unlike any I've ever had. Weird.

That being said, I think they've gotten their act together and are making some good food. A lot of my friends go there and swear by the chicken souvlaki and the hummous. Sounds like a good deal for 137NT (or whatever that arbitrary number is...). I'll be back for round two, no doubt.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Greek- ... 59?sk=wall
EKP
Forumosan avatar
ekphrastic
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Kaohsiung & Southern Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs