The Bayou in Kaohsiung

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

Re: The Bayou in Kaohsiung

Postby mups » 19 Apr 2011, 13:06

Surprised the Bayou itself hasn't announced here, but 2 people told me it open again at the location near the lighthouse. Haven't seen it myself but plan on going there this weekend, assuming this is true!
mups
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby RobinTaiwan » 19 Apr 2011, 16:31

mups wrote:Surprised the Bayou itself hasn't announced here, but 2 people told me it open again at the location near the lighthouse. Haven't seen it myself but plan on going there this weekend, assuming this is true!
They opened last week. I was there on the weekend. The place looks very good. They kept the same theme and colors. It's done up very well. So thumbs up for that. The menu, though, is disappointing to me. They took the burgers, the pizza and the ribs off the menu. These are the three things I almost always craved when I went to the Bayou in the past. They have other good things on the menu, but pretty much everything I usually eat there is now off the menu. :( I will still go there sometimes, but not nearly as often as I used to. Nothing I really crave there anymore. :(
Spring would be something else if winter was as white as it is made out to be.
Forumosan avatar
RobinTaiwan
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

2 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby mups » 19 Apr 2011, 19:17

hmm interesting..I was actually thinking of trying a burger (usually I get the steak and mashed potatoes)..now I guess not. I liked their deep dish stuff too but rarely had it..I guess we'll see how it goes in terms of the new menu stuff...nice to hear it's bigger though..I'll post back after the weekend.
mups

13 Recognized(s)

Postby thebayou » 20 Apr 2011, 01:46

Geez, I come to announce that we are open and I get beat. I know we’ve been open a week now, but I wanted to make sure things were under control before we started really telling people we are open. So yes we are open and we are near the Lighthouse. In fact, you can see our restaurant if you are at the Lighthouse. The address is Boa Jin St. #13. The phone number is 557-6188.

About the menu, well, as has been mentioned before, we are planning on opening a second location in the near future with a different menu. This menu will basically be all the things you don’t see from the past menu. Though I must say I find it odd that you say we took the pizzas off our current menu when we’ve actually expanded that side of the menu.

The next place will be called The Bayou Grill (or something along those lines), and as can be guessed by the name the menu will include the burgers, ribs, steaks, lamb, stuff that went on the grill...I think you get the idea. Anyway, we decided to split the menu because it was just getting too big. And to keep standards up, my temper (which is not good to begin with) and stress were at an all time high. Plus it just seems obvious that we were running two different restaurants from the same kitchen. So apologies if you were craving something, but rest assured the other side of the menu will be coming in the near future.
The ability to make a good steak frites or sole meuniere or cassoulet is a skill that any reasonably coordinated person with good heart and an average work ethic can accomplish. Granted, the ability to prepare these dishes a hundred times a night, at high speed, in coordination with twenty or so other tasks—while listening to Mexican rap and nursing a savage hangover—is not something everyone should attempt. That requires a special breed.
thebayou
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby RobinTaiwan » 20 Apr 2011, 02:05

thebayou wrote:
About the menu, well, as has been mentioned before, we are planning on opening a second location in the near future with a different menu. This menu will basically be all the things you don’t see from the past menu. Though I must say I find it odd that you say we took the pizzas off our current menu when we’ve actually expanded that side of the menu.
I'm really looking forward to the new place. The pizzas you have on the menu now are more like calzones, in my opinion. You don't have just pizza anymore.
Spring would be something else if winter was as white as it is made out to be.
Forumosan avatar
RobinTaiwan
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

2 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby thebayou » 20 Apr 2011, 02:17

I see what you mean. Any of the traditional style pizzas we used to have on the menu can certainly be ordered.
The ability to make a good steak frites or sole meuniere or cassoulet is a skill that any reasonably coordinated person with good heart and an average work ethic can accomplish. Granted, the ability to prepare these dishes a hundred times a night, at high speed, in coordination with twenty or so other tasks—while listening to Mexican rap and nursing a savage hangover—is not something everyone should attempt. That requires a special breed.
thebayou

Postby mups » 20 Apr 2011, 06:41

Sounds great, looking forward to both places. You have far and and away the best western food in Taiwan from what I've tried, in fact the Bayou is one of my favourite places all-time to eat at, period. Keep up the good work, your passion for food is noted and appreciated. :) I'll definitely remain a loyal customer as long as you're around.
mups

13 Recognized(s)

Postby thebayou » 22 Apr 2011, 02:46

Thaks for the kind words. I'll be sure to pass it along to the rest of the staff.
thebayou

Postby mups » 28 Apr 2011, 07:19

Went in last weekend...same Bayou inside, just spacier, with a couple of tables outside, and facing a park. On one hand it's not as cozy as the old one simply due to the bigger room, but still comfy and a really nice place to eat. Food was very nice as usual, ate like a fiend. Didn't notice a menu difference much outside of the burger thing, but if you're opening another place with a grill theme in the future that would be awesome. Best thing about the new place for me is the location, which is a lot easier to access via MRT, and from coming out of town especially. Nice to have you guys back.
mups

13 Recognized(s)

Postby Modest Mouse » 28 Apr 2011, 10:33

I've been to the Bayou a few times and have tried lots of their meals, but I am frankly not impressed. The taste is bland and doesn't taste like the food from back in the States. (Sorry to all you fanboys)
Modest Mouse
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

7 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Kaohsiung & Southern Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs