The Bayou in Kaohsiung

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

Re: The Bayou in Kaohsiung

Postby thebayou » 29 Apr 2011, 03:23

@Mups: Glad you enjoyed yourself.

@MM: Sorry you're not impressed...maybe my palette is being overworked (It has been extremely busy!). You seem to know a lot about Cajun food. Are you from N'Awlins? Louisianna? Maybe you could point me in the direction of some restaurants that are bringing it like they do back home so I can get my palette back on track.
The ability to make a good steak frites or sole meuniere or cassoulet is a skill that any reasonably coordinated person with good heart and an average work ethic can accomplish. Granted, the ability to prepare these dishes a hundred times a night, at high speed, in coordination with twenty or so other tasks—while listening to Mexican rap and nursing a savage hangover—is not something everyone should attempt. That requires a special breed.
thebayou
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby mups » 29 Apr 2011, 07:26

A friend of mine is from NO and has been in the restaurant biz there and enjoyed your stuff. He's been back multiple times.

I can only speak on what I've tried there...I love your nachos (my favorite nachos anywhere, easily), the cornbread is delicious, when I used to have the steak and potatoes it was excellent...deep dish pizza was pretty good (to be honest I tried one I liked more from the Philippines recently, but that's personal preference, not a knock)...the regular pizza I've tried once and it's pretty tasty too (I'd prefer a slightly harder crust but again, preference)...I've tried the burgers before and they're very good...know 2 people who tried the jambalaya (including my NO friend) and they enjoyed it...only thing I don't honestly care for is the fries, simply because they're plain compared to the rest of the stuff...cajun fries are good though. Also tried those cheese/jalapeno things you have last time and they were excellent. I would never classify the food as bland, even in a setting with restaurants which could legitimately claim to be on the same level of quality.

I'm not going to call it perfect or anything, but that isn't a putdown either. And personally I can't testify to complete authenticity, but I love and appreciate good food, and people who obviously put care and thought into it (as well as to the ambiance and service around it, which stands out in your case especially because of local competition, which in almost every instance I encounter is mediocre at best).

Basically put, I live out of town, and the Bayou is the only place in Kaohsiung I know of worth travelling there for on a regular basis. And when I go, I eat a lot more than I do anywhere else.
mups
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby thebayou » 30 Apr 2011, 03:49

Thanks again Mups. Someone 'getting' what you're trying to do really does make all the hard work worth it. You'll probably find this hard to believe, but it was the fries that basically put us on the map.
The ability to make a good steak frites or sole meuniere or cassoulet is a skill that any reasonably coordinated person with good heart and an average work ethic can accomplish. Granted, the ability to prepare these dishes a hundred times a night, at high speed, in coordination with twenty or so other tasks—while listening to Mexican rap and nursing a savage hangover—is not something everyone should attempt. That requires a special breed.
thebayou

Previous

x

Return to Kaohsiung & Southern Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs