Kaohsiung finally gets a Burger King!!!

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Kaohsiung finally gets a Burger King!!!

Postby ?SyntaxError » 28 Jun 2005, 20:05

Burger King has opened a branch in the food court (near the outpatient area) of the Veteran's Hospital on Da Jhong Rd.

No longer can one use the "I only eat it because we don't have them down south" excuse when travelling up north. :D
Forumosan avatar
?SyntaxError
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ozzo » 03 Jul 2005, 20:12

OMG!!! I'm so there!

oZzo
Need a Chinese Voice Over?
www.chinesevocal.com
Professional Chinese voice over - several talents to choose from

Field Recording in Taiwan Blog - www.outrecording.com
Forumosan avatar
ozzo
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Visitor » 04 Jul 2005, 09:41

ozzo wrote:OMG!!! I'm so there!

oZzo

KHH is a sad place.
Visitor

Postby maoman » 04 Jul 2005, 09:50

I was disappointed to find out that Burger King in Taipei doesn't always cook their meat on the spot, but "flame broils" them at some locations and then ships them over to other locations where they are microwaved until they are warm. I kid you not. I found this out when I asked for a burger that was "well done", i.e. left on the grill for a longer period of time. The staff looked at me blankly. "Um, we can microwave it for you longer, if you want."
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Truant » 04 Jul 2005, 09:53

Maoman wrote:I was disappointed to find out that Burger King in Taipei doesn't always cook their meat on the spot, but "flame broils" them at some locations and then ships them over to other locations where they are microwaved until they are warm. I kid you not. I found this out when I asked for a burger that was "well done", i.e. left on the grill for a longer period of time. The staff looked at me blankly. "Um, we can microwave it for you longer, if you want."

yeah same, I was disappointed to hear that also. But I guess I should cut back on that shit anyway, so knowing that helps.
The best learning Chinese flashcards in the world are available in Taiwan at http://www.silkwormpress.com
Forumosan avatar
Truant
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby ozzo » 08 Jul 2005, 23:02

Ok....went there....sampled their fare....and realized that yes, it's really BK. hehe....I don't even really like burger king....but hey, it's been almost 2 years, so guess I was craving that "home-like" taste...

oZzo
www.chinesevocal.com

Forumosan avatar
ozzo

Postby coolingtower » 15 Jul 2005, 01:17

I want to go. What is the Da Jong, though? Does that mean "the masses" or does it mean "big middle"?? Can anybody type the Chinese? Thanks
"It's not safe to hope for the best....without preparing for the worst."
Forumosan avatar
coolingtower
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby ozzo » 16 Jul 2005, 12:58

coolingtower wrote:I want to go. What is the Da Jong, though? Does that mean "the masses" or does it mean "big middle"?? Can anybody type the Chinese? Thanks

Yes....Da Zhong "Big Middle" "大中"

In case you're not sure where, just get on Mintzu and head north past Dollars. Eventually you'll get to an overpass (Da Zhong runs dirctly beneath the highway), turn right. There's an optical shop & Betel nut stand on the corner there. Go straight for about a block and the hospital will be on your left side. Can't miss it. As syntax error mentioned, it's in the outpatient building. If you go in the main front doors, just head towards the left and follow the signs on the ceiling that say "Outpatient Building". After a small maze of corridors it'll be on your right hand side.

Hope that helps.

oZzo
www.chinesevocal.com

Forumosan avatar
ozzo

Postby coolingtower » 11 Aug 2005, 17:03

Just back from Burger King!

Good directions, ozzo. I would like to add to those directions to maybe save future visitors some walking. You can't turn left directly from Da Zhong Rd. You have to go up and then hook back. I parked near a drain-channel thing and had to walk REALLY far. So, here's what you do:

If you're going north on Mintzu, PASS the overhead freeway (Da Zhong Rd) and then take any right (east) turn after that. If you don't come exactly up to the outpatient building, at least when you get to Rong Cong Rd, you can turn right on that road and hook back to the Outpatient building entrance.

If you're going south on Mintzu (as if you're coming from Tainan), you can turn left at Hua Xia Rd or any other left (east) turn after that but BEFORE the freeway you may already see looming in the distance. (Looming? What? Are they making fabric?) You will pass Rong Cong STREET and then come to Rong Cong Rd. Turn right (south) and you will come to the Outpatient building (on the left).

If you're standing on the sidewalk (facing the building) between the motorcycle and car parking areas, the main entrance will be at 10 o'clock. However, there's a path at 1 o'clock that goes up over a bridge into a small door. Below there's a drainage area with air conditioners and COOLING TOWERS down there. (I'm always happy to see those--haha). Go in that door and turn left, following the windows. When you reach the end of the hallway, turn right and there's the food court.

I looked in the back and the kitchen looked big. I couldn't see if they had real grills or if they microwaved the meat. If it's the only BK in GaoXiong, I'm assuming they grill meat there. (You never know, though. Tesco doesn't make their formerly good sausages on-site anymore. They're made in PingDong Xian and they're absolutely flavorless.) I had a Whopper meal and a "dan dian" bacon double cheeseburger. Both were good. I hope it lasts--they seem to be doing good business, especially since they have a "semi-captive audience".

Also, 12:30pm seems to be a good time to go: I got hit on by a nurse!
"It's not safe to hope for the best....without preparing for the worst."
Forumosan avatar
coolingtower

Postby M0NSTER » 11 Aug 2005, 18:38

Burger King. Out-patient ward (Hospital). Irony.
" Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." - Al Swearengen, HBO: Deadwood
Forumosan avatar
M0NSTER
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Kaohsiung & Southern Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs