Is there a Turkish or Middleeastern restaurant in Kaohsiung?

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Is there a Turkish or Middleeastern restaurant in Kaohsiung?

Postby blacksheep » 04 Nov 2006, 13:59

Hello habibi,

Just read there was a Greek restaurant in Kaohsiung in another thread. Just wanted to see if there was a Turkish or middle Eastern restaurant in Kaohsiung or elsewhere in Taiwan? I've always loved Turkish cuisine.
blacksheep
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby naguoning » 04 Nov 2006, 14:18

Not that I know of, but Tainan has one within walking distance or cheap cab ride from the train station. You can find the address in the usual English language magazines. It is quite good.
Kieren says TVBS must equal TeleVision BullSh@t, as if we did not know that already.
naguoning
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Quentin » 04 Nov 2006, 14:57

There are several in Tainan, actually.

There is the Greek restaurant on Gongyuan Road - the same people just opened an Indian restaurant directly across the street a couple of months ago. It's close to the corner of Mintzu, near the FE21 department store.

There are two Turkish restaurants, a fancy one and a take-out. The fancy one is on Dongfeng Road, across from ChengKung University Hospital. The takeout is close to the train station - go down Beimen until you hit Mintzu, then go under the bridge to your left, and walk straight for a couple of blocks. Both places are excellent.

You can also get Pakistani wraps (chicken or beef) at the night markets in Tainan, if you can find the stall where the Pakistani guys run it. Usually there at the Linsen night market.

There's also a recently opened Egyptian restaurant on Changrong Road, across from the Eslite music/bookstore department store.

Of course you are in Cowtown, but Tainan is less than an hour's drive away.
Forumosan avatar
Quentin
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby blacksheep » 05 Nov 2006, 14:22

Thanks all for your replies.
It works out perfectly. I'm planning to head to Tainan this week. I'll be looking for them.
blacksheep

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby StevenCrook » 14 Nov 2006, 13:22

Which restaurants did you try? What did you think of them?
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby blacksheep » 07 Dec 2006, 14:12

Sorry for such a late reply.
I went to Tainan and went to the takeaway one close to the train station. The place is up for rent and is almost completely gutted out :-(. I didn't get a chance to go to the other one. I'll check it out next I'm up there.
blacksheep

ORIGINAL POSTER

Pakistani restaurant

Postby Diego » 16 Mar 2007, 12:57

Hi Folks,

Those know don't know are missing out. Go to Wufu Rd and ....near Ren'ai st and look for Ali's Kitchen. Good quality food. Nice atmosphere.
Diego
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby sandman » 16 Mar 2007, 13:02

I know this is boonie talk here, but the OP did ask about "Taiwan" also, so Sababa should get a mention. So this is it. Click the link. They serve lovely mideastern food in a nice setting.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Islamic Food

Postby SchwaiGuy » 11 Sep 2007, 17:25

I pass a place called "Islamic Food" and bills itself as Pakistani. It's probably between Fongshan and Kaohsiung.
SchwaiGuy
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby TainanCowboy » 11 Sep 2007, 17:31

2 good Turkish places in the NCKU area of Tainan. One has been around for a few years and is a Turkish bakery as well as a good restaurant. And a new one that just opened up about 2 months ago.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Kaohsiung & Southern Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs