Kaohsiung's best kept secret- Linda Thai

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Kaohsiung's best kept secret- Linda Thai

Postby bobepine » 10 Oct 2007, 13:15

Where:If you head north on Huasia road, you will come to a 7-11 on the right, and a 50 Pizza on the left. Turn left and pass one traffic light. About one hundred meters down the road on your left hand side. It's next to another restaurant called La Guardia.

What:It's a hole in the wall Thai restaurant owned and run by Thai ladies. Nothing fancy, in fact, very basic setting similar to roadside lunchbox type restaurants.

The Score:Typical Thai service (very friendly operators), authentic Thai food prepared by Thai ladies, large menu with many traditional Thai meals. Very tasty (I love their curry). Reasonable prices; cheaper than the more upscale, yet less authentic Thai places I've been to.

PM if you need better directions.

PS: Huasia Rd. runs parallel to Boai Road in Tzuoying which is north Kaohsiung. Huasia Rd. is East of Boai.
bobepine
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Eros » 12 Dec 2007, 11:54

Went there the ohter night. Very "horse, horse, tiger, tiger".

There are much better Thai restaurants around Kaohsiung.
Eh? What's the point?
Forumosan avatar
Eros
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby sandman » 12 Dec 2007, 15:17

Eros wrote:Went there the ohter night. Very "horse, horse, tiger, tiger".

Well, you've recently made several posts putting down eateries in the Kaohsiung area and making snide remarks about "other Westerners" there.
It would be helpful if you could be a bit more positive -- e.g. "There are much better Thai restaurants around Kaohsiung" is hardly much help to other readers. Where are they?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby bobepine » 12 Dec 2007, 17:23

sandman wrote:
Eros wrote:Went there the ohter night. Very "horse, horse, tiger, tiger".

Well, you've recently made several posts putting down eateries in the Kaohsiung.

Maybe he/she is just picky? Homesick? Missing mom's cooking?

I'd be interested to know where you go out to eat, Eros. C'mon, spill the beans. Seriously. Don't keep it all to yourself! Let's hear some good reviews re: some of the places you like.
bobepine

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Eros » 12 Dec 2007, 20:15

To say that my posting about restaurants in Kaohsiung has been entirely negative is clearly wrong as I recommended Andy's Pizza Garden and also the Pie Shop (and also said that Bagel Bagel and its sister restaurants USED to be good). But you want more positive recommendations? Fair enough.

As far as Thai food goes the little place just off the clothing market on Nanhua Rd (near Zhongzheng Rd and Zhongshan Rd) has always been great (look for its neighbour, a locksmith, which has a big yellow key for its sign). As well, the Thai restaurant on Dashuen Rd, near the corner of Zihyou Rd has quality food (but unfortunately no green curry or pad thai).

For western food, I've always found the food at Foster Hewitt's very good, and often creative. The new restaurant, Cosmos, is homey and unpretentious and the food is good, even if they are still working out a few kinks. Decent spaghetti dishes (much better than Bagel Bagel's IMO) can be found at New House (there's one on Fuguo Road, near Minghua, if I remember correctly).

There's a great Japanese food restaurant on Wumiao Road, very near the Universal Theatre, just a little bit east of the B&Q.

A good little Indian/Pakistani place is across from Veteran's Hospital (just make sure the Pakistani guy is the one cooking and not his wife as there's a big difference in quality and taste between the two).

There's a very authentic Vietnamese restaurant/stall in the food market on Tzichiang near the 85 storey building (which I've also recommended in the past, on this very forum, as further proof that not all of my postings about restaurants are negative).

A cool place to chill and have a coffee and meal is Woola Cafe on Jhihsheng Rd, not far from Boai Rd. I recommend the ice cream coffee and one of the rice curry/cheese dishes.

You can also find good curry dishes at Curry Dictionary on Mincheng Road, close to Heti Road.

My favourite place to go for a brew is (was?) Black Dog but I haven't been there in ages now that I live in the boonies up north.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope these recommendations help.
Eh? What's the point?
Forumosan avatar
Eros

Postby bobepine » 12 Dec 2007, 21:25

Cool. Thanks for sharing, Eros.

I am a fan of pizza. I'll have to find that Andy Pizza place and try it out.

I concur, the Thai place on Dashuen and Foster Hewitt serve good food. I've been a regular at that Thai place for ages now.

I've heard a few people saying good things about Cosmos now. That's another one I have to try.

As for the other places you mentioned, I'm stoked. Coming from a picky ass like you, these places must be decent. :wink: You get bored of eating at the same places after a while, you know. So much to explore now!

Thanks!

Chris
bobepine

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Kaohsiung & Southern Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs