Grand Slam- All Day Breakfast

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

Grand Slam- All Day Breakfast

Postby bobepine » 05 Jan 2008, 13:04

It's just newly opened and it's in the same building as The Fitness Factory. The restaurant is located near Subway, next to the climbing wall.

The restaurant is owned by the same owner of the Fitness Factory, and he hired a North American chef. I must say, that man knows how to cook a breakfast. The menu is not very big, but they have enough to please most as far as breakfast is concerned. Eggs fried to perfection (in butter, not oil), crispy bacon, home made hash browns and good coffee. That's my idea of a good breakfast.

They also serve omelets, and home made waffles. HUGE portions. Almost too big actually, the omelets are about one inch thick and 10 inches in diameter. The plate of waffles is even bigger, you get two waffles about 3/4 inch thick and 10 inches in diameter. I could not believe the size of the waffles. One would suffice, but no, you get two. Just make sure you are hungry before you order that one. And of course, they also have French toasts served with a choice of honey or real maple syrup.

I think it's great. I can now get up late on weekends and have a place to go eat breakfast where someone actually cooks breakfast the way we cook breakfast back home.

On the down side, the chef doesn't make the toasts, servers do, and they don't toast them enough. Make sure to ask that your toasts be toasted longer until they actually look brown. We explained what a toast should look like to the servers the last time we were there and maybe they addressed that already.

The other thing is the decor is a bit bland at the moment. I guess the decoration is ordered but it has not come in yet. So the look of the place should be improved once they finish decorating it.

Go check it out for yourself!

Chris
bobepine
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby maybin » 13 Jan 2008, 16:50

Hmm...so they serve breakfast all day?

I could order an omelet or pancakes at 5 pm?

That'd be great. I know places serve breakfast up to a certain time. It truly does suck.

And the evening shops that serve breakfast...well, their eggs are not that tasty. I gotta stop by this place in the future. When I think of Grand Slam,I think of Denny's ....and heck, I miss Denny's.

Anything else served at Grand Slam?? I'd like to know before I get a chance to go out there...

:D
maybin
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby golfmade » 28 Jan 2008, 11:07

I live only about 5 minutes from there, passed by a few times but didn't know what kind of food they serve.

I'll try to stop by some time this week and see how the food is.
Nashville Predators fan living in Taiwan.
Forumosan avatar
golfmade
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby dangerousapple » 28 Jan 2008, 11:30

One of my teachers eats there a lot and she likes it, so I decided to try it out myself. I had the "grand slam" breakfast. It was ok, but I found everything extremely salty. It was nice to get decent hash browns though. The coffee was undrinkable, however, unless you like it watery and weak.
dangerousapple
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Mother Theresa » 28 Jan 2008, 12:16

maybin wrote:When I think of Grand Slam,I think of Denny's ....and heck, I miss Denny's.

Sure, that's where they stole the name from. It's no coincidence.

But, as long as there's no Denny's in Taiwan, maybe this place will suffice.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby thebayou » 29 Jan 2008, 15:58

I don't think they stole the name from Denny's. The place is located underneath the Fitness Factory (much like a Worlds Gym) and the decor is sports themed. With that in mind I think you can see where they came up with the name.
thebayou
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

x

Return to Kaohsiung & Southern Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs