Your nice stories needed

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Your nice stories needed

Postby Kaohsiungeditor » 15 Jan 2008, 11:56

I am looking for anyone with a positive story about how a Taiwanese person has helped them adjust to life in a new country. As we all know, Taiwanese people are incredibly kind and go out of their way to help. This is your chance to share something positive about your experience. All I need is five sentences and a picture to share your story. Please email kaohsiungeditor@gmail.com.

I am also looking for Taiwanese people who have stories about how they have helped a foreigner.

The stories will be used in a local publication, with your permission of course.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your stories!
Kaohsiungeditor
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby irishstu » 15 Jan 2008, 12:01

May I ask what these stories will be used for?

EDIT: OP has since added more info.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

96 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Re: Your nice stories needed

Postby Buttercup » 15 Jan 2008, 12:10

Kaohsiungeditor wrote:As we all know, Taiwanese people are incredibly kind and go out of their way to help.

Eh? What makes you say that?

Many Taiwanese people were lovely, once I got to know them, and learned a little Chinese. However, when I first arrived in Taiwan, people stared and pointed at me in the street, locals tried to rip me off and my boss was a lying, cheating bully. The first week I got here, I had an accident in the street and people actually stepped over me. It took forty minutes to crawl home, covered in blood. I could also write about how four hospitals refused to treat me.

I stayed in Taiwan for seven years and loved the place, but kind and helpful to strangers? I always found Taiwanese people outside my immediate circle reserved and reluctant to get involved unless face was involved. Are you sure you're not thinking of Thailand? I have some lovely stories.
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 15 Jan 2008, 12:22

What kind of publication? What's the name of it? For profit or non-profit?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Lei Gong » 15 Jan 2008, 12:59

I had only been in Taiwan for about a week. I was renting a scooter and I ran into a taxi that did not stop at a red light. It was not very serious. The scooter was broken, my shirt was ripped and I had bruised ribs. A young Taiwanese man immediately came up to me and offered help. He told me that I had the choice to call the police or ask the taxi driver to pay for the damages. I chose to ask for money and the taxi driver paid me after the young man briefly negotiated with him on my behalf. I had no cell phone and I did not know a word of Chinese so I really needed help.

Lei Gong
Forumosan avatar
Lei Gong
Smurf account
Smurf account

Postby Dr. McCoy » 15 Jan 2008, 13:07

I was walking down Linsen South road and a man asked me if I wanted a pretty girl. He was a total stranger.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby Wookiee » 15 Jan 2008, 13:29

Dr. McCoy wrote:I was walking down Linsen South road and a man asked me if I wanted a pretty girl. He was a total stranger.

You too, huh?
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Forumosan avatar
Wookiee
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 15 Jan 2008, 13:44

He didn't tell me she was pretty. He only told me she was nine. And very cheap. I said "no thanks." It wasn't until later that I realized he might have been offering me somebody to sweep my chimney.

That's five. How's that?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Fox » 15 Jan 2008, 14:03

I was driving home drunk and a policeman stopped me. He smiled at me embarrassed and waved me through, yelling, "Wai Guo Ren!"
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

63 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Funk500 » 15 Jan 2008, 14:57

I was having a cycling holiday in Nice a few years back, when I happened upon some Taiwanese backpackers. I looked at one of the young people and said
"Qu'est-ce que c'est ?"
To which the Taiwanese person said,
"C'est une porte!".
Ha! Only in Nice......
Forumosan avatar
Funk500
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

19 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Kaohsiung & Southern Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs