Your nice stories needed

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

Re: Your nice stories needed

Postby Dr. McCoy » 30 Nov 2008, 12:49

My nephew's getting married on Jan 1 in Dallas. He's an opera singer and so is she.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 01 Dec 2008, 18:04

JungleJim wrote:
I always found Taiwanese people outside my immediate circle reserved and reluctant to get involved unless face was involved. Are you sure you're not thinking of Thailand? I have some lovely stories.

Thailand? Thailand's the worst place for ripping people off! Are you sure you've been to Thailand? Example, a shirt for sale in the market; 60 baht for locals, 900 baht for foreigners. True you can haggle the price down, but not too many tourist, or even non tourist travelers have the balls to do that. Thailand is just one great big fishing net set up to trap foreign tourists. The big net containing said foreign tourists is then hoisted up above the ground thus allowing local Thai folk waiting below to catch the dripping money from...you know who.

As for your experience after your accident, you were turned away? This isn't the USA. Why did they turn you away? Did they tell you?

Please, tell us more.

I lived there for a short while and two of my brothers and some of my cousins are half Thai. I speak Thai (very badly, but enough to not pay 900B for a shirt...). Many Thai people are very poor and they have little respect for tourists because they behave badly, within Thai cultural parameters. I was constantly embarrassed by how kind and helpful people who were twice my age yet earned a fifth of what I did were.

Having said that, Thais are not 'special'. Every place has people who will help a stranger. Most cultures and religions have stories and parables which celerate helping others. Some cultures have an outward reserve which can seem cold, but people are just people, wherever you are. Some good, some bad.
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby marboulette » 20 May 2009, 22:25

My happy story was actually published in the magazine in question. I've been published!!! I'm a writer! :lol: No, it's true.

marboulette
Moving Toward the Light- OutofChaos

***If you're reading a post from this guy, it's because someone had a question and I knew the answer or because someone needed help and I was able to help.
marboulette
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby bob » 20 May 2009, 23:54

I hike once in awhile from Shilin to Mei Li Hua (in Neihu). One time I arrived at Mei Li Hua and realized that I had lost my wallet which meant that I had to walk back home. When I got there I was surprised to discover that someone had found my wallet, my ID and my address, and returned it to my home. Pretty damn nice.

(If I could give the OP a little advice though I'd say don't start threads saying that everybody knows how this or that your nationality is. It sounds simplistic and egotistical and that is why everybody is giving you a hard time in this thread.)
bob
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

21 Recognized(s)

Postby marboulette » 20 May 2009, 23:58

She is no longer an editor for the FYI south. I'm afraid your story will perish, here, in the depths of cyberspace irrelevancy. Unlike me, who was published and immortalized. :)

marboulette
Moving Toward the Light- OutofChaos

***If you're reading a post from this guy, it's because someone had a question and I knew the answer or because someone needed help and I was able to help.
marboulette
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Re:

Postby bismarck » 21 May 2009, 00:51

Fox wrote:I was driving home drunk and a policeman stopped me. He smiled at me embarrassed and waved me through, yelling, "Wai Guo Ren!"

Oddly enough (or maybe not so oddly) that happened to me more than once in my bachelor years. Gotta love the local coppers.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 21 May 2009, 00:58

bob wrote:I hike once in awhile from Shilin to Mei Li Hua (in Neihu). One time I arrived at Mei Li Hua and realized that I had lost my wallet which meant that I had to walk back home. When I got there I was surprised to discover that someone had found my wallet, my ID and my address, and returned it to my home. Pretty damn nice.

(If I could give the OP a little advice though I'd say don't start threads saying that everybody knows how this or that your nationality is. It sounds simplistic and egotistical and that is why everybody is giving you a hard time in this thread.)

Also happened to me. Lost mine out drinking on a Saturday. The bar kindly allowed me to open a tab seeing as my wallet had run off, but a nice lady found it on the street somewhere and returend to my school. It was waiting there for me on Monday morning.

People may be people, but that would never happen in South Africa.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Kaohsiung & Southern Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs