So How's the Pig and Whistle for younger kids? (College)

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

So How's the Pig and Whistle for younger kids? (College)

Postby Springfield » 20 Sep 2008, 01:13

Me and my friends are in College here in Kaohsiung for 1 year. We're 2 freshmans and 1 Sophomore. We wanted to go Drinking and socializing but not to a club, just a bar. I was just wondering how the Pig and Whistle is for the younger set (us). Will there be other college level students there?

If not, could anyone tell me where there is a larger crowd of College students? I know obviously places like Lamp and Dreams would have them but we aren't really the clubbing type, we just want to go hang out, drink and meet people. I guess if all else fails we can go to the park.

Also, how is the Pig and Whistle now-a-days anyway? I heard a while ago it was pretty risky business, but that now it's cleaned up? Is this also the same with Dreams?
The world has turned and left me here!
And in your place, and empty space!
Forumosan avatar
Springfield
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: So How's the Pig and Whistle for younger kids? (College)

Postby maybin » 10 Oct 2008, 11:15

Why was it risky business? Triads? Really have no idea. I frequent there when I was in KHH.

I guess some cool places to drink and have snacks are:
Tokyo City (food yummy and cheap and beer aplenty till late morn)
The Lighthouse (higher priced but good atmosphere)
Blue Fantasy
those outdoor open area bbq joints
those ktvs which are moderately priced (BYOB) without the sex meimeis.
maybin
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby WolvesMon » 29 Jul 2009, 11:33

Bloody expensive!
She said to me in Harlem. 'Hey! Keep a cool tool fool. I'm wise to the rise in your levis!'
WolvesMon
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 29 Jul 2009, 11:37

Do what most expats in Taiwan do. Pay an exhorbitant cover charge for a club and then spend the rest of the evening on the steps of the nearest 7-11 drinking Taiwan Beer.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1029 Recommends(s)
388 Recognized(s)

Postby Anubis » 29 Jul 2009, 11:47

The Pig & Whistle here in Hsinchu was never a hangout for 'younger kids'. The "Pig", and here I mean the pub/restaurant area, was rather a place where some older expats and managers from the Science Park got together over a few beers. A good place for socializing and I made many an acquaintance there.

However, I can't remember it as a hangout for 'college kids' simply because it was too an expensive place for 'younger kids' to drink and eat. The younger crowd frequented the 2nd floor disco club, but you mentioned that you're not interested in clubbing.

I use past tense because it shut its doors a couple of months ago.
Sekhem Em Pet

Taiwan UP
Forumosan avatar
Anubis
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Kaohsiung & Southern Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs