Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Mexican Food in Kaohsiung

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

Mexican Food in Kaohsiung

Postby kjmillig » 03 Jul 2009, 08:53

I'm not familiar with Kaohsiung, but the family will be there Monday. We REALLY want to find some decent Mex. or Tex-Mex food. I''ve read here that Smokey Joe's is OK, and mixed reviews on Friday's.
What I need are addresses, and other recommendations. Where can I find these places? I can speak decent Mandarin, so I can give an address to a taxi driver (I can also print it out and show him)
THANKS!! :notworthy:
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race [except in Taiwan]. ~paraphrased from H.G. Wells
Forumosan avatar
kjmillig
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Re: Quick resonses please for Mexican Food in Kaohsiung

Postby ekphrastic » 21 Sep 2011, 11:28

kjmillig wrote:I'm not familiar with Kaohsiung, but the family will be there Monday. We REALLY want to find some decent Mex. or Tex-Mex food. I''ve read here that Smokey Joe's is OK, and mixed reviews on Friday's.
What I need are addresses, and other recommendations. Where can I find these places? I can speak decent Mandarin, so I can give an address to a taxi driver (I can also print it out and show him)

Its a little late, but just opened last month: There's a great authentic Mexican join on Heti, just north of Yucheng called Don Burrito. 528 Heti road, just south of a Spanish restaurant. They make an amazing pork burrito, tacos, and enchiladas. They even make their own tortilla chips- something I haven't had anywhere else outside of the "New World." You'll have to pay for it though- my burrito was 250nt, but it came with a platter, rice, refritos, a little salad, soup, and homemade salsa. He also makes sangria and margaritas.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Don-Burri ... 1642311839
EKP
Forumosan avatar
ekphrastic
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Good Mexican in Kaohsiung

Postby vmajor » 08 Oct 2011, 14:27

Hi all,

Don Burrito @ 528 Heti Rd. Zuoying District is awesome! Tel 07 310 1517

...well, I am from Australia and Don Burrito is the best Mexican food I have ever had. The owner, Manuel Hernandez is from Mexico and orders many ingredients from Mexico, including the special chilli peppers that are hard to find just about anywhere else. He also cares a great deal about his food.

Recommended dishes: anything, but make sure you try the Nachos if all you ever had were the usual TexMex caffe style nachos. Also try the pineapple smoothie.

I am not connected to the restaurant, just extremely happy with their food so I hope they do well enough to stick around for a long while.

Opening hours: 11-14 & 17-23 every day. Go today :D

V.
vmajor
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Re: Quick resonses please for Mexican Food in Kaohsiung

Postby vmajor » 08 Oct 2011, 16:42

...oh did not see this post when I made my own. I was at Don Burrito on my phone making my post, and did not have enough free hands/attention to read the forum. Yes, Don Burrito. It is very, very good.

Here is my post: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=103515

V.
vmajor
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Re: Mexican Food in Kaohsiung

Postby ekphrastic » 11 Oct 2011, 11:51

There's another Mexican joint down by the ferry to Cisian. Its right next to a mango ice place and a Family Mart.

I was much less impressed with this one. The price was right, but they smothered their burrito with a velveeta kind of sauce instead of cheese and forgot to bake it. Also, the mole (an amazingly complex sauce by the way. Something I recently learned- and is so time consuming to make that its usually just served at weddings, etc.) was made with milk chocolate rather than bitter chocolate, so it tasted more like a dessert than anything else. They also served the chicken with its skin on (something I'll never get used to in Taiwan, and its greasy not crispy) and the salsa was from a jar. Arguably the most upsetting thing was that the woman who ran the place with her Taiwanese husband was from MC. Oh well. It was nice for a change, but if you want the real deal I think you'll just have to go back to the States. ...or, of course, move to Mexico. Hmmm...
EKP
Forumosan avatar
ekphrastic
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Re: Good Mexican in Kaohsiung

Postby StevenCrook » 13 Dec 2011, 10:23

vmajor wrote:Hi all,

Don Burrito @ 528 Heti Rd. Zuoying District is awesome! Tel 07 310 1517

...well, I am from Australia and Don Burrito is the best Mexican food I have ever had. The owner, Manuel Hernandez is from Mexico and orders many ingredients from Mexico, including the special chilli peppers that are hard to find just about anywhere else. He also cares a great deal about his food.

Recommended dishes: anything, but make sure you try the Nachos if all you ever had were the usual TexMex caffe style nachos. Also try the pineapple smoothie.

I am not connected to the restaurant, just extremely happy with their food so I hope they do well enough to stick around for a long while.

Opening hours: 11-14 & 17-23 every day. Go today :D

V.

We tried this place on Sunday. Very generous portions, huge amounts of meat (which may or may not be what you want) and quite reasonable prices. The service was OK, but could have been better (six forks for seven people?). The taste of the food was pretty good, but we've had better Mexican at Willy's in Tainan and Little Mexico in Taichung.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Meadows » 11 May 2012, 10:01

Paco's Tacos!!!!

Friggin' awesome. Smokey Joes is pretty good too.
Meadows
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Pein_11 » 13 Dec 2012, 06:42

when I was there, general pancho's was the only one, behind shinkuchan, same street as NYC pizza, it's regular texmex, but they have a homemade salsa that im sure you can buy from them that could save a couple of dishes (it's been a while since I was there, so forgive me if the place is no more)
Pein_11
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

22 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby DKaoshuing » 16 Feb 2013, 19:51

[/img][/pdfview]
kjmillig wrote:I'm not familiar with Kaohsiung, but the family will be there Monday. We REALLY want to find some decent Mex. or Tex-Mex food. I''ve read here that Smokey Joe's is OK, and mixed reviews on Friday's.

Any place with fresh avacados ? I miss them.
DKaoshuing
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Kaohsiung & Southern Taiwan Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs