Where to find Belgian Shepard Short hair in Taiwan or import?

Please post your messages regarding Animal Rescues, Emergencies, & Adoptions here.

Where to find Belgian Shepard Short hair in Taiwan or import?

Postby Oregon Guy » 28 Mar 2012, 16:01

Hi

Just moved here with young kids and would like to get a female Belgian Shepard short hair for a family dog. Yes, I understand about the advantages of adoption of all kinds and take care of a number of pups ( 17) at a rural production facility I have in SE Asia ( they are their own dogs, I just feed them) but in this case, I want a specific breed.

Anyhow - is it better to try to locate this specific breed in Taiwan or would that be pointless or ultimately heartbreaking due l a small gene pool? Who should we get in touch with?

Alternatively, I travel back and forth to the US monthly and could bring one back if that is the best route.

Thanks - would love to hear any suggestions on breeders or experience with such, any importing stories ( and would certainly like to be able to take this pup with us when move back to the US or to our next destination so we will need whatever paperwork is necessary to do that as well).

Thanks for the insight.
Oregon Guy
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Where to find Belgian Shepard Short hair in Taiwan or import?

Postby TheGingerMan » 28 Mar 2012, 21:23

A very interesting question. I'd be interested to hear if there are any on the island as well.
I'm curious if they could thrive here in this humid climate. I recall having skin problems with several of the longer haired variety due to a wet or humid environment.
In addition, they need quite a bit of roaming room, something not easily had in this land.

By short hair, I take it you mean the Malinois?
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
239 Recognized(s)
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby cranky laowai » 28 Mar 2012, 22:47

Oregon Guy wrote:Alternatively, I travel back and forth to the US monthly and could bring one back if that is the best route.

Try this thread for info on that approach.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Oregon Guy » 29 Mar 2012, 15:21

@ Gingerman

Thank you. You are correct, I do mean the Malinois and I promise not to 1) name her Cairo or 2) have her teeth replaced with Titanium incisors. We have a bit of a yard and and are next to two large parks where I run when I am not running on the trails. I will reply later with how it goes, I suspect we will likely bring one back with us after US family holidays.

@ Cranky - thank you for the link to the great thread, very helpful. I saw it earlier but in my speciesist knee jerk reaction slant made me turn it off when the articles I found had to do with felines rather than K9s.

Still trying to get the hang of navigating in this billboard but it seems like a tremendous wealth of local knowledge.
Oregon Guy

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Ex Animo » 29 Mar 2012, 17:22

Is there something in particular about the Malinois that you find desirable—something that other dogs might have? Is it something to do with the look, or the character? We often find people who are dead set on buying a 'pure bred' soon after fall in love with a dog who is nothing like what they were looking for but turned out to be just perfect for them in every way. If you let me know what exactly you're looking for, I'd love to help find the right match who is also a rescue.
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 25 Mar 1999

Postby Oregon Guy » 29 Mar 2012, 20:43

Once again, from original posting, as I saw you coming but you might have missed it -

"Yes, I understand about the advantages of adoption of all kinds and take care of a number of pups ( 17) at a rural production facility I have in SE Asia ( they are their own dogs, I just feed them) but in this case, I want a specific breed. "

If you have a suggestion on where I can find a Malinois in Taiwan, I would be most grateful.
Oregon Guy

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Ex Animo » 29 Mar 2012, 21:32

I don't understand your post. Did you understand mine? I wrote it with careful consideration of your OP. I'm asking what it is about the Malinois that you like? Why that specific breed?

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Oregon Guy » 30 Mar 2012, 11:47

Thank you

Yes, I would like a Malinois this time, I understand about other options and the rescue networks etc. In fact, I did get a great rescue dog in Taipei in '88, a Mastiff, but he did not last long, very sad, he was a great dog, I think the operation was under a bridge down near the river at that time, anyhow, keep up the great work!
Oregon Guy

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby omerojs » 10 May 2012, 11:41

Hi.. it looks like a nice dog!! I wonder what is the difference bwteen the Malinois and a German Shepard? besides the "longer" hair and the color... they kind of look the same to me.. sorry for my ignorance!!

i understand you, sometimes one just wants a specific breed of dog.. in my case i wanted a french bulldog and my first try i adopted a golden retriever.. then he died of cancer and I went and look for a french bulldog.. this time i asked only for it in adoption centers and the ones available were not really available so i ended up buying from a breeder in taiwan in Taichung.. its a reputable breeder and his dogs normally end up in competitions!!! actually the just shipped a couple of pups to Europe!! anyways good luck about finding that dog that you want.. and I would still want to know what is the difference with the German Shepard ;)
Just about Everything can be done in Taiwan!!
Forumosan avatar
omerojs
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 10 May 2012, 15:53

Do you know if the breeder tests for the many genetic health issues that plague French bulldogs? That flat face is cute to some, but of course is something of a disability to the poor dog and often quite debilitating. And do you know what the breeder does with any pups that show signs of disease or not conforming to breed standard?

Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Rescues, Adoptions, & Animal Emergencies