Abandoned cat

Please post your messages regarding Animal Rescues, Emergencies, & Adoptions here.

Re: Abandoned cat

Postby Ex Animo » 07 Apr 2012, 00:20

It's cheaper and just as simple. The cat's probably been getting real food for himself; why rescue him if you're going to put him on a diet that will ail his kidneys, rot his teeth and gums, and remove one of the only satisfactions he's likely to get—namely, eating a hearty meal?

It just doesn't make sense to get him addicted to something so bad for him. Put him on real food now and you won't have the hassle of trying to switch him off the addictive junk food later once the toll it takes starts to show (which is usually too late).
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 07 Apr 2012, 00:23

Taiwan Animal SOS wrote:It's cheaper and just as simple. The cat's probably been getting real food for himself; why rescue him if you're going to put him on a diet that will ail his kidneys, rot his teeth and gums, and remove one of the only satisfactions he's likely to get—namely, eating a hearty meal?

It just doesn't make sense to get him addicted to something so bad for him. Put him on real food now and you won't have the hassle of trying to switch him off the addictive junk food later once the toll it takes starts to show (which is usually too late).

With utmost respect, Sir, that's not the point. :bow:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

984 Recommends(s)
371 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 07 Apr 2012, 00:24

Re. leaving him to enjoy his freedom: while that does sound like an attractive option, in reality it may not be the best; we've seen very clearly how short a stray cat's life is. One CNR project in Bitan saw a group of well-fed, well cared for stray cats decimated in numbers, leaving about a third of the original population still alive after just three years. It's just not a good life out there.

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 07 Apr 2012, 00:27

Taiwan Animal SOS wrote:Re. leaving him to enjoy his freedom: while that does sound like an attractive option, in reality it may not be the best; we've seen very clearly how short a stray cat's life is. One CNR project in Bitan saw a group of well-fed, well cared for stray cats decimated in numbers, leaving about a third of the original population still alive after just three years. It's just not a good life out there.

Agreed wholeheartedly. It's a domesticated animal. "Freedom" isn't the Great Outdoors Fending For Itself.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

984 Recommends(s)
371 Recognized(s)

Postby Kea » 07 Apr 2012, 08:49

Thanks guys for your thoughts and concern.

For Cat, the concrete jungle that is Taipei, or a single apartment, is not anywhere near as nice as the hill. JP, having had cats at our house with plenty of yard/garden in a leafy street in a town of NZ, I'd call that freedom, compared to being confined in a concrete box. I place the concept of freedom above that of happiness. But it's missing the point. He's a domesticated animal, and also he's not getting enough love and attention.

My first priority is to ensure he is fed more, since I was really worried he was losing weight due to an inability to get sufficient regular food-which obviously shows he can't handle himself well enough for the long-term there. Still, there are kind souls who feed the animals there on a semi-regular basis.I'm not far from the wet-market and will begin to request raw meat for the cat. That's a good suggestion, thanks.

If I find someone for him that'd be good. I'm still undecided on the adoption timing for myself. Also a cat-basket is something else I'm considering.

EDIT: As yesterday, I took the cat-box up the hill today, and spent over 30 fruitless mins looking for him. I have decided to bring him down and foster him (if I can find him), and decide on his next home after that. I am leaning towards Cat Village since the cats look reasonably happy there, and the Summer is coming.

EDIT: I went up in the rain today, have gone up every day, to look for Cat. No sign of him, hope he's found a safe and dry hide out for shelter.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 07 Apr 2012, 13:30

Kea, once he's been with you a while, and hopefully vaccinated and neutered, he can come stay at The Sanctuary when you're no longer able to keep him. We only have a few cats, and while they're currently just in a room with lots of hidey holes and shelves and fed very well, the aim would be to get him adopted and would certainly be the better option than the Cat Village, which seems like it will soon be overburdened. Totally up to you though; just giving you another option.

Great that you'll start feeding him raw meaty (and bones)!

This post was recommended by jimipresley (07 Apr 2012, 13:36)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 07 Apr 2012, 16:16

Excellent work, Kea, mate! :bravo:

And, as always, a big hand to Taiwan Animals SOS for their unselfish support and generosity. :notworthy:

Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

984 Recommends(s)
371 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 07 Apr 2012, 19:01

Ahem . . .

Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Kea » 08 May 2012, 01:57

I just wanted to follow up with thanks to Sean and jimi. I went up the hill many times, despite an archilles injury, looking for Cat, but never saw him again. Finally, yesterday an old gent that knows me mentioned he'd seen it in the same place it used to be. However, I didn't see it today-but did feed two other very timid ginger cats.

I surmise that he has a home in a house on the side of the hill, and during the rainy period stayed at home, but now the weather's good he's back patrolling the hill, looking for frogs to play with and ladies to mate with.

At least I hope this is the situation.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill

This post was recommended by jimipresley (08 May 2012, 02:15)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Kea

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Rescues, Adoptions, & Animal Emergencies