Mange? This guy needs help, would be beautiful if healthy.

Please post your messages regarding Animal Rescues, Emergencies, & Adoptions here.

Re: Mange? This guy needs help, would be beautiful if healthy.

Postby Ex Animo » 20 Apr 2012, 11:27

Icon wrote:The problem is that the doggi needs a home, a place to stay warm and well fed. Then all it takes is a 300nt bottle of Malaseb, applied at regular intervals, and he'll be dandy and pretty.

I understand why NonTocare thinks he'd be better in doggie heaven. It looks painful, and believe me, from personal experience, having a skin condition that constantly itches gets unbearable. Furthermore, people will stay away from him, they will probably be violent to him out of fear and repulsion to his appearance. He could meet a sad and cruel end, when all he needs is a Malaseb bath.

He needs more than anti-fungal shampoo. This disease is caused by a weak immune system. He needs good nutrition and time to mature.

I can't think of a more sad and cruel end than to be killed by someone who can't bear to see you dealing with your illness. We really need to stop thinking that killing is a good idea for anything other than those already painfully heading that way. This boy will likely recover.

Would be great if we can get his whereabouts, as we have someone willing to help him.
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 20 Apr 2012, 11:39

What I mean to say is that I undestand her position: this doggie could meet a sad end, not due to his disease -which you and I agree is curable, once he gets under someone's care- but because a dog in his condition will not attract do-gooder, but probably a kick or worse. I understand that faced with a cruel end on the streets, this guy would better have a quick, relatively painless end, if no one can help him. And I agree it wouldn't be necessary if he could be helped by someone with patience. They will be rewarded with a beutiful companion. I mentioned the food and shelter first, then the special shampoo. It won't take that much to reap a great reward. And I agree it would be such a pity for him to be killed when what he needs is not so hard. I mean, we've seen dogs with more serious problems, dogs that require surgery/amputation/constant medication. That requires a lot of work/time. If someone can take this one in, it will be a great thing.

I am currently hunting down one of those fancy cats with round spots -I call them feline dalmatians, dunno what is their real name- in my alley, an adult, obviously dumped. Normally, they go for like 40K nts. But this one already has mange on his face. If I can grab him and clean him up, I'm sure he'll be out adopted in a flash. As it is now, I fear he will not be able to survive cat fights and such. Wish me luck.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

593 Recommends(s)
468 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 20 Apr 2012, 12:27

My mate down here often finds stray puppies. In fact I have seen ones worse than this. He does not even take them to the vet. He washes them with a special shampoo, feeds them well, and in a few weeks they are 100%.He does keep them away from his other dogs though.

Someone just needs to do that, keep him or put him up for adoption. If you cant keep him or get him adopted there are a few like Taiwan Animal SOS around that would take him in.

There must be a few people in the area that can easily help this fellow out. Go do it. It will be one of the most rewarding things you will ever do. Guaranteed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 20 Apr 2012, 12:29

Thanks for your responses- yeah it's a bit rash for me to say "I'm going to put this dog to sleep unless someone can help." Sorry for being alarming. It's jus that I have to put my foot down somewhere. I can't take him, I've already got too many animals, both in and outside my house that I'm helping.
I looked for him last night and this morning, but couldn't find him. I posted pics on facebook to see if I could find a foster in this area. And I posted here- of course I'd prefer to find a foster rather than kill the guy, but I'd rather he die peacefully than be abused, suffer and die in the street.
If all it took was a dose of meds and a couple of baths, I'd be on board, but I'm with Icon that this guy probably needs more- he needs a safe place to recover. I don't see him surviving on the street- he's already very emaciated.
A little more info- he is a mature dog, probably a couple of years old, not a puppy.
Ex Animo guy, AIR is run by one of my best friends and we are in near constant contact. She is overwhelmed already, as I am. AIR is not a shelter. I'm asking if anyone out there can foster this dog. Sorry for bringing up putting him down. That is my last resort. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it here.
I'll send you a message with his exact location (when I last saw him 24 hours ago.)

And thanks bigduke, helping animals is very rewarding- I'm just at the end of my rope on it right now because I've been fostering for 3 years. i can't take another right now. So far none of my friends in this area have come forward. If you know someone who can foster him (or if you want to) please let me know.
NonTocareLeTete
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
120 Recommends(s)
156 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 20 Apr 2012, 12:30

Icon, again, I can't agree that we should kill people and other beings just because of a worst-case scenario we have thought up. You live in Taipei where traffic accidents are rife and where you could easily get badly hurt in one, but that doesn't mean we should kill you to prevent that. :wink:

I blame the humane societies for this new idea that killing is a good thing; we as animal advocates should never be killing just to make ourselves feel better. If you were in a fire and in agony, you'd be extremely grateful several months later that no one killed you to end your misery—or, worse, killed you because you were in an area where fires often break out and good people didn't want the risk of you suffering somewhere down the line.

When the Red Cross or Doctors Without Borders start massacring those in refugee camps who are facing heat and starvation, then you will have an argument for killing animals with curable skin diseases. But then I would still be here arguing that those organisations have simply given up hope and are doing what feels better for them, not those terminated by their decision.

And I should point out here that I admire what you and the OP and the orgs I mentioned are doing and have done for animals; I just think it's time for us all to take a good hard look at killing out of kindness as a blanket fix-all. We're murdering those trying to survive. So are we really doing it for them? Or for us? I also think it's a bad idea to declare that you will kill a dog if no one comes to help him or her; this can easily be seen as a threat, and most people wouldn't want to support such.

We as an org take in needy animals in the Xinbei area; as part of our mission, we also strive to encourage others to do more themselves, as this is the only way we can really help a far greater number. We need someone in the Yilan area to step up and help this dog—or just leave him alone to deal with it himself.

So, let's get the whereabouts of this dog and get him some help. :thumbsup:

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 20 Apr 2012, 12:35

NonTocareLeTete wrote:Ex Animo guy, AIR is run by one of my best friends and we are in near constant contact. She is overwhelmed already, as I am. AIR is not a shelter. I'm asking if anyone out there can foster this dog. Sorry for bringing up putting him down. That is my last resort. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it here.

I'll send you a message with his exact location (when I last saw him 24 hours ago.)

I know Abbie, and I know she's not a shelter; AIR is now promoted as a resource for others to help animals. That's why I'm saying they can offer support.

Great that I can get the location. I'll post it on Facebook and see if we can get someone to go pick him up (or at least be responsible for getting him treatment on a daily basis). Demodectic mange usually attacks dogs under two years of age and with a compromised immune system, so I'm guessing he's under two. Though it can affect older animals as a relapse.

Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 20 Apr 2012, 12:39

IF you know Abbie and care about her please don't encourage people to tell her about needy dogs right now. She's got her hands full. IF she had steady foster homes, then I'd say sure, tell her, but now's not the time.

And yes, I shouldn't have brought up putting him down. Stupid of me. Abbie would hate that too. I'm just sick of people doing NOTHING. I can't stand that this is acceptable here. My logic is this: I've seen him. I feel responsible. I want to help him, but have chosen not to make my life revolve around animals right now. So I'm asking other people to help him. If no one can help him, then I feel I must do something. 3 weeks ago I took a street dog in to get his leg amputated. Had a serious conversation with some people who care about me :eh: and they told me, NTLT, next time you see an animal in bad shape, maybe you should put him out of his misery instead of throwing your whole life out of balance helping him. Maybe it's the wrong thing to do. I haven't put an animal down yet. I don't know if I'd actually be capable of it. But I feel it's even MORE wrong to do nothing. I don't think this guy's odds are good on the street. CAn you imagine weeks of suffering only to die alone?
Anyways, got some work to do, sorry for the 'threat', I shouldn't have written that. If anyone can help, please come forward, though I haven't found the pup the two times I've looked since yesterday. If a foster comes forward, then I will certainly hold him until the foster can take him and will help pay for his medical care. I just can't take him in my house right now.
NonTocareLeTete

ORIGINAL POSTER
120 Recommends(s)
156 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 20 Apr 2012, 12:52

NonTocareLeTete wrote:Thanks for your responses- yeah it's a bit rash for me to say "I'm going to put this dog to sleep unless someone can help." Sorry for being alarming. It's jus that I have to put my foot down somewhere. I can't take him, I've already got too many animals, both in and outside my house that I'm helping.
I looked for him last night and this morning, but couldn't find him. I posted pics on facebook to see if I could find a foster in this area. And I posted here- of course I'd prefer to find a foster rather than kill the guy, but I'd rather he die peacefully than be abused, suffer and die in the street.
If all it took was a dose of meds and a couple of baths, I'd be on board, but I'm with Icon that this guy probably needs more- he needs a safe place to recover. I don't see him surviving on the street- he's already very emaciated.
A little more info- he is a mature dog, probably a couple of years old, not a puppy.
Ex Animo guy, AIR is run by one of my best friends and we are in near constant contact. She is overwhelmed already, as I am. AIR is not a shelter. I'm asking if anyone out there can foster this dog. Sorry for bringing up putting him down. That is my last resort. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it here.

And thanks bigduke, helping animals is very rewarding- I'm just at the end of my rope on it right now because I've been fostering for 3 years. i can't take another right now. So far none of my friends in this area have come forward. If you know someone who can foster him (or if you want to) please let me know.

Unfortunately, I cannot. I will ask my mate about it. He already has 8 is his house and looking for his 9th (It got lost when someone at a pet hotel left the door open).
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 20 Apr 2012, 12:56

I of course totally understand. All I can say is that, if you take killing out of the list of options (as well as taking him in yourself), you'll find a whole load of other options start to emerge. If we stay positive, we find far more good solutions cropping up.

When I did Animals Taiwan's first 'rescue', Lazarus, it was with the intention of putting him down to end his misery. But the guy wanted to eat and enjoyed human touch, and we just couldn't bring ourselves to end his brave attempt to live. To our surprise, Dr Yang at YangMing Veterinary Hospital not only agreed to help Lazarus (where several other vets had refused), but he let Laz stay in his clinic. Forumosans generously stumped up the funds to help him, and then Dr Yang donated back the bulk of what we paid, which was already hugely discounted anyway. And the rest is history, as they say.

So I know how it feels wanting to end an animal's suffering. And I also have seen how we can be so pleasantly surprised and amazed at the other options that crop up once we decide on the positive route.

Thanks for wanting to help this dog. I've posted his whereabouts and will let you know how it goes.

Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 20 Apr 2012, 12:59

OK, a lady is going there to look for him later. I'm not sure what she intends to do, but I am sure that between us we can work something out that suits everybody.

Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Rescues, Adoptions, & Animal Emergencies