Why would a puppy not poop or pee all day long?

Please post your messages regarding Animal Rescues, Emergencies, & Adoptions here.

Why would a puppy not poop or pee all day long?

Postby housecat » 21 Jun 2010, 21:01

Okay. Yesterday there was a puppy in the local 7-11. It's filthy, covered with fleas, and very friendly. It seems healthy enough, but kind of lethargic. My boy loves it upon first sight, of course. We ask and are told the the puppy showed up three days ago and no one knows who it belongs to. I didn't want to bring it home, so another girl took it home last night and I agreed to take it to the vet today.

She brought it back, I took it to a vet and he said it has fleas and ticks and stomach worms, but seems healthy other than that and a little skin problem here and there. I figure it will not take much to take care of those things and I agree to pay for its care and take it home.

The vet put the flea and tick stuff on its neck and gave it a pill for the tummy worms. He said that the dog should poop like mad when the worms are killed, or at least that's what I think he said--my Chinese is very rusty. But this dog hasn't peed or pooped all day long. Yes, we walked it. It's more letharic than I think it should be, still, but is playing. It drank some water, but will not take food. It did take about half of a doggy cracker, just a tiny bit. It seemed interested in some people chicken, but I don't like to feed dogs table food, so I didn't give him any.

*edit: HOLY CRAP!! I've never seen anything like that before in my life! While I was typing my son called me--these very long, kind of stiff, discusting things were all over the floor! Really, really huge! The stuff of nightmares! People can't get those, right?
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Re: Why would a puppy not poop or pee all day long?

Postby jimipresley » 21 Jun 2010, 21:04

Tapeworm, eh? Yes, people can get them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapeworm_infection
No wonder the poor thing didn't poop. The worms were eating all the food before he/she had a chance to digest it.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

941 Recommends(s)
354 Recognized(s)

Postby bababa » 21 Jun 2010, 21:06

If you're referring to the worms, then yeah, I think people can get them.

A lethargic puppy could be distemper. It's unlikely to have gotten any shots, after all.
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 21 Jun 2010, 21:09

The doctor didn't seem to think there were any major problems. I guess lethargy could also be lack of nutrition if the worms were eating all the food. Why are the worms stiff?

P.S. I tried to contact BARK earlier to find a good vet and ask for advice, but the website isn't updated and the email address I found was undeliverable. Can anyone give me up to date info for contacting BARK, Please?
Forumosan avatar
housecat

ORIGINAL POSTER
95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 21 Jun 2010, 21:30

housecat wrote:Why are the worms stiff?

Rigor mortis.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

941 Recommends(s)
354 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 21 Jun 2010, 21:38

excited?
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

183 Recommends(s)
237 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 21 Jun 2010, 21:57

housecat wrote:
P.S. I tried to contact BARK earlier to find a good vet and ask for advice, but the website isn't updated and the email address I found was undeliverable. Can anyone give me up to date info for contacting BARK, Please?

See your PM inbox.

Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

941 Recommends(s)
354 Recognized(s)

Postby Ladybird » 21 Jun 2010, 23:42

Natasha@BARK-Taiwan.org
Chris@BARK-Taiwan.org

Great vet at 538 Tzyou Road near the freeway. Excellent English. Dr. Claire and Dr. Peter at Happy Life Animal Hospital 07-345-0202
Ladybird
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 22 Jun 2010, 10:52

Thanks for your replies, all. Now, any advice on getting an excited puppy to understand that he can't bite while playing?

He's eating this morning and no longer seems lethargic in the least. He was absolutly BOUNCING this morning! He seemed very afraid of going back outside for a walk, though. Maybe it's because he can't climb the stairs? Does he worry we won't let him back in?

It's been a very long time since I've raised a puppy. I think this one (my son is insisting on calling him "Barack") is about 4 months old.

I intended to have CATS, but life is rarely as I expect it will be.
Forumosan avatar
housecat

ORIGINAL POSTER
95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 22 Jun 2010, 11:27

It seems I recall our vet telling us the deworming medication can make them lethargic, or maybe it was the first set of vaccinations... I can't remember which.... I'm sure the poor puppy was drained from the fleas and worms....
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Rescues, Adoptions, & Animal Emergencies