[Divorce] My Marriage is perfect, but what it....

Procedures, processes, and the legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

[Divorce] My Marriage is perfect, but what it....

Postby Hobart » 08 Jul 2003, 17:45

For tax purposes among other things, my wife has all of the stocks, cash, cars, and the house in her name. She swears if anything ever happened she has promised me half. My question is, am I legally entitled to half as a foreigner married to a Taiwanese citizen, or would I have to draw up an *ahem* legally binding contract to protect myself. By the way, some of the assets are based in the USA and we have registered our marriage with the Taiwan authorities, AIT and the courthouse in my hometown back in the USA.

PS: Is it true that in Taiwan, normally the women don't get anything just simply kicked out of the house and they don't even get to keep the kids? So as the husband do I have those kinds of rights over my Taiwan wife, or are those rights only for Taiwan husbands?

Anyone have any insight into this?
Forumosan avatar
Hobart
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 08 Jul 2003, 18:30

Is it true that in Taiwan, normally the women don't get anything just simply kicked out of the house and they don't even get to keep the kids?

Sorry Hobart, I can only help you on the second part of your question. I'm in the first category but since I've never had anything to speak of its not an issue.

The Women's lobbying Group of the Legislative Yuan instigated some major changes to the laws covering divorce and who gets to keep the kids in 1996. Prior to that it was indeed straight to daddyo. Bummer for wives in violent families. I think there's been more reforms since covering money and child support.

You'll get more here:

http://www.awakening.org.tw/10.htm

HG
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Re: My Marriage is perfect, but what it....

Postby Comrade Stalin » 09 Jul 2003, 12:29

Hobart wrote:For tax purposes among other things, my wife has all of the stocks, cash, cars, and the house in her name.

You're screwed.
"I got very well acquainted with Joe Stalin, and I like old Joe! He is a decent fellow." - Harry Truman after the Potsdam Conference
Comrade Stalin
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Tomas » 09 Jul 2003, 14:15

I know that you live in Taiwan, and that your question is regarding Taiwanese law. But...

I can tell you that in the United States, if you get divorced, you're looking at a court-ordered, complete change in your fatherly role and financial position. It depends on a number of factors, but U.S. law is heavily biased against men in these situations. You don't usually get custody, only visitation rights, now matter how great a dad you were. And if you make more money than your wife, you're screwed. If the assets are in her name, you get nothing, except for maybe the debts you accumulate together.
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

116 Recommends(s)
146 Recognized(s)

Postby FEI » 19 Jul 2003, 17:31

cover your ass
FEI

Postby QAM » 23 Jul 2003, 00:33

FEI wrote:cover your ass

too late, don't you think.
"Honey, about everything being in your name..."
*smack* "You dont trust me?!"
"Er... nothing"
Hobart. Have you tried to do this? What was the result
"ICs range in complexity from simple logic modules and amplifiers to complete microcomputers containing millions of elements."

Read more: How integrated circuit is made - material, making, used, processing, components, dimensions, composition, industry, machine, How Integrated Circuit Components Are Formed, Design, Raw Materials http://www.madehow.com/Volume-2/Integra ... z0vnRfolGB
QAM
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

6 Recommends(s)

Postby cake » 11 Sep 2003, 18:19

I don't know what you could do with the stocks, cars and house, but regarding cash you could try and find something in the US that will pay you high interest or something and suggest transfering cash there. But I'd guess you would have to be like a salesman with that one.
Or even a property in the US, and maybe if there is $$ coming in, she may decide to cash in some of those stocks.

And if you ever divorce, my guess is you will see nothing. I can't comment on your marriage but imagine if someone told you what you posted, I think you'd think the same as the rest of us.

And I would open an account for yourself, or send funds back to a US account you probably still have, if there are any questions, you could say they are to cover any medical expenses or something when you go back, or it could be that high interest account you found...

Cover your arse, you don't know what's around the corner....
"War is just a racket. I helped make Mexico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for international banking in 1909-1912. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested" - Major General Smedley Butler
http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm
cake
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined
21 Recognized(s)

Postby WarMonkey » 11 Sep 2003, 20:09

cake wrote: you could try and find something in the US that will pay you high interest

??? :? ???
We need a basic lesson in the current state of the economy, don't we?
Forumosan avatar
WarMonkey
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Hobart » 12 Sep 2003, 10:17

You guys forgot that I am doing this for tax purposes. Why would I open an account in the US? The US is the only country in the world that even if its citizens don't live there you are still liable for taxes.

Also, my wife agreed to whatever contract I want.

Again, my questions was under Taiwan law "am I legally entitled to half as a foreigner [male] married to a Taiwanese citizen?"
Forumosan avatar
Hobart

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Hartzell » 13 Sep 2003, 23:05

Whatever the legal documents say . . . . . .
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

19 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Divorce