Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Are Taiwanese Divorces laws archaic and too complicated?

Procedures, processes, and the legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby crystaleye » 09 Dec 2011, 08:15

Any really bad stories of (too) messy divorces in Taiwan?

Heard that the law favors the woman here heavily..
The war is mine!

這局我贏定了!
crystaleye
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
34 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Re: Are Taiwanese Divorces laws archaic and too complicated?

Postby tommy525 » 09 Dec 2011, 09:44

Well I shall let you in on my own . IT was ridiculously simple. And it can be as long as both parties are in agreement. My then wife chose the 5th day of the New Year when the govt offices start their first work day of the new year to drag my ass down to the local , I cant say the name, next to the local fuzzshop. They had festive candy on the tables and the little 20 year old clerk had a hard time understanding that we wanted to divorce. We may hv been the first couple to divorce that year in the ROC , on such a normally festive occasion.

All we had to do was buy this 2nt (really 2nt) piece of paper. We both fill in our names and id card number (or passport number in my case) and then we went back up to this little lady and she asked each of us if we wanted to divorce and we said yes, examined the piece of paper in front of her, made us put our chops on it and sign our names (no witnesses needed unlike marriage) , and asked us if there was any contentious issues. We said NO and she stamped the piece of paper and that was it. D.I.V.O.R.C.E.D . Must be the simplest divorce in history.

Then the now ex wife wanted to invite me to a taiwanese dinner (which i really didnt feel like going because I was a bit upset this whole divorce thing ya know...I thought it was true love you see, silly me) and proceeded to go from A to Z one more time about how much of a failure I was as a husband. I didnt want to mention again that SHE was having a year long affair ....HELLO??? to try to save any sense of normalcy. There can be normalcy in lunacy you know?

So yeah, divorce can be easy in Taiwan.

I guess its easier when your marriage never made it to the second anniversary?
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

596 Recommends(s)
371 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 16 Dec 2011, 23:23

crystaleye wrote:Heard that the law favors the woman here heavily..

Total BS. The laws in the States favor wimmen far more than the laws here which tend to favor men.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

This post was recommended by Northcoast Surfer (16 Dec 2011, 23:57)
Rating: 4%
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 17 Dec 2011, 00:44

PigBloodCake wrote:

Total BS. The laws in the States favor wimmen far more than the laws here which tend to favor men.

Very true; for example: who gets the kids?
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby mi101966 » 18 Aug 2014, 06:58

Wow... I am married to a taiwanese woman since june of 1992. I'm holding an aprc. but life with her had become virtually intolerable. I am doing all the things I need myself, and I am sleeping alone on a single bed in a separate room for quite more than 10 (ten) years. and she does sometimes share the double bed in the bedroom with her now 13-year-old son. she had physically attacked me back in late 2005 and had hundreds of disputes and arguments. I am tired of this bickering. and there are constantly all those small little things that're thrown upon the heap. and i swear i wish to GOD I had never ever married... not in taiwan at least! once I had read about forumosa's article i got the damned feeling that I'd have to spend the rest of my life in this way; I might have been sentenced to a life-long jail term just as well! condemned for ever really?
mi101966
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Anubis » 18 Aug 2014, 07:42

mi101966 wrote:Wow... I am married to a taiwanese woman since june of 1992. I'm holding an aprc. but life with her had become virtually intolerable. I am doing all the things I need myself, and I am sleeping alone on a single bed in a separate room for quite more than 10 (ten) years. and she does sometimes share the double bed in the bedroom with her now 13-year-old son. she had physically attacked me back in late 2005 and had hundreds of disputes and arguments. I am tired of this bickering. and there are constantly all those small little things that're thrown upon the heap. and i swear i wish to GOD I had never ever married... not in taiwan at least! once I had read about forumosa's article i got the damned feeling that I'd have to spend the rest of my life in this way; I might have been sentenced to a life-long jail term just as well! condemned for ever really?

Sounds almost exactly like my marriage. :s Only difference being that we have a child and I am too scared I will lose him/her when divorced.
Sekhem Em Pet

Taiwan UP
Forumosan avatar
Anubis
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby spaint » 18 Aug 2014, 10:52

mi101966 wrote:Wow... I am married to a taiwanese woman since june of 1992. I'm holding an aprc. but life with her had become virtually intolerable. I am doing all the things I need myself, and I am sleeping alone on a single bed in a separate room for quite more than 10 (ten) years. and she does sometimes share the double bed in the bedroom with her now 13-year-old son. she had physically attacked me back in late 2005 and had hundreds of disputes and arguments. I am tired of this bickering. and there are constantly all those small little things that're thrown upon the heap. and i swear i wish to GOD I had never ever married... not in taiwan at least! once I had read about forumosa's article i got the damned feeling that I'd have to spend the rest of my life in this way; I might have been sentenced to a life-long jail term just as well! condemned for ever really?

Is the child not yours?

If he's not, then infidelity is grounds for divorce.
spaint
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

36 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby cake » 30 Aug 2014, 19:34

Walk away. Life is too short for this bullshit.
cake

Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined
26 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 30 Aug 2014, 20:22

crystaleye wrote:Are Taiwanese Divorces laws archaic and too complicated?

Any really bad stories of (too) messy divorces in Taiwan?

Heard that the law favors the woman here heavily..

Treats the woman like shit actually, find new people to converse with, this isn't California.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

91 Recommends(s)
447 Recognized(s)

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 30 Aug 2014, 20:49

archylgp wrote:
PigBloodCake wrote:

Very true; for example: who gets the kids?

Yes- I've known 2 women here who were in abusive relationships with men who cheated, and they felt they couldn't leave because they knew the man would get the children (even in situations where the children would almost certainly fair better with the mother) and they wouldn't have any money (after 20-30 years of cooking, cleaning and childcare. I don't think women should get a huge chunk of a guy's money- but because she put her own career on hold and tended to him for many years, I think she should probably get something. Housekeepers, cooks and surrogate mothers don't come cheap.)

I think when the husband is a foreigner, local laws may tend to sway in the woman's favor.
Forumosan avatar
NonTocareLeTete
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

153 Recommends(s)
202 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Divorce