Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Divorce in 2012

Procedures, processes, and the legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Divorce in 2012

Postby Mordeth » 04 May 2012, 07:27

My wife handed me the divorce contract thingy the other day (not going to sign it). And I've been reading some threads on here, but most are a few years old. I noticed this

Recently, the Taiwan "Law Governing the Application of Laws to Civil Matters Involving Foreign Elements"(涉外民事法律事用法) has made some amendments on April 30, 2010. The new law will come into force one year later.

And was wondering if someone could expand on that and how it helped us?

She wants custody until my son is 20....which is silly. Once he's old enough to choose for himself would be more realistic...say 12?

My wife has no income. She hasn't worked a day since my son was born and he's 3 and a half now.

If she gets custody I'm not too worried that she won't let me see him as she needs my monthly support.

Let me be clear that I have never HIT her.....but it has gotten physical once. And she has a police report thingy....which I'm sure she was more than happy to get. I have one as well....believe it or not. But I think she stole mine as I can't find it.

We are on talking terms. My wife is insane....but very honest. I just wish she took his best interest at heart.
Last edited by Tempo Gain on 04 May 2012, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted now irrelevant video link
User avatar
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Posts: 3956
Joined: 26 Nov 2004, 22:05
Location: Taoyuan County

Re: Divorce in 2012

Postby zender » 04 May 2012, 07:33

Good luck, man. Sorry to hear things didn't work out. I hope whatever solution you come to is good for all three of you.
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Posts: 3314
Joined: 26 May 2005, 19:10
Location: In front of my computer

Re: Divorce in 2012

Postby Mordeth » 04 May 2012, 07:50

Another more specific question. In the other divorce threads I see no mention of people transferring their JFRV over to their children. Can't that be done? Since it's a "Joining Family" visa and not a "Marriage" visa.....can't you just swap out the wife and base the "Joining Family" on the child with the Taiwan passport?

My visa is a big issue in all of this. We haven't been married 5 years yet. Perhaps 4.5?
User avatar
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Posts: 3956
Joined: 26 Nov 2004, 22:05
Location: Taoyuan County

Re: Divorce in 2012

Postby scomargo » 04 May 2012, 08:30

I'm sorry to hear about the marriage problems.

I'm sure you know this, but your safest bet would be to get your APRC before you get divorced. Just don't sign the divorce papers until you have your APRC in hand. You may need to start looking into getting all of the documents for that so it can go more smoothly once you've reached your 5 year time period.

I have no idea how that above change in the laws/rules has affected anything. I've not heard of that before.
User avatar
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Posts: 1535
Joined: 14 Jun 2001, 16:01
Location: Zhonghe

Re: Divorce in 2012

Postby Chris » 04 May 2012, 09:15

scomargo wrote:I'm sure you know this, but your safest bet would be to get your APRC before you get divorced. Just don't sign the divorce papers until you have your APRC in hand.

Seconded. Get that APRC secured before considering divorce.

Good luck, man. And I know you love your son more than anything.
User avatar
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
Posts: 16069
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 15:51
Location: Taipei

Re: Divorce in 2012

Postby bigduke6 » 04 May 2012, 18:14

I believe you are able too, and can extend the JFRV until the kid is 18. There are some requirements like proving you will be supporting him and so on.

As I always say don't rely on this forum. Check with NIA.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
User avatar
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Posts: 1938
Joined: 19 May 2011, 11:58
Location: Kaohsiung

Re: Divorce in 2012

Postby SillyWilly » 04 May 2012, 18:46

Mordeth, my sympathies. Nobody deserves to be treated like shit.

I wish certain posters would stop battering obviously emotionally fragile people seeking a little help from the foreigner community. It's ridiculous. Have some empathy, for god's sake. :loco:
User avatar
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Posts: 272
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 12:29

Re: Divorce in 2012

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 05 May 2012, 00:29

My recommendations:

1. Do not mess around with trying to get a JFRV through your son. Stay married until you can apply for and get the APRC.

2. You will tell your wife and assure her that you will agree to all of her terms for the divorce including custody and child support just so long as she remains married to you and assists you in obtaining your APRC first. If you are at 4.5 years of marriage, then you only have approximately 6 months left to go until you can apply for it. Once you have your APRC in your hot little hand, you will sign the divorce per WHATEVER demands she makes. Say it like you mean it, say it with a smile! You need to keep your wife happy and calm. Bite your tongue. Do not look for confrontations. Don't tap the snake on the head! Keep your eye on the prize.

3. You can continue to live it the same house with her until you get your APRC, or you can move out and get your own apartment. There is no legal separation in Taiwan. You're only married, or not married, so it won't effect your APRC application. I recommend that you stay in the same house for the next six months while you are applying for your APRC, as long as you can stand it and as long as you feel safe. Otherwise, find your own apartment in anticipation of what the divorce will bring anyway. If you do move out, you still need to pay everything and not assume or insist that she finds work. Keep everything on an even keel. Also, do not even think about fooling around with any other women until you are divorced. Again, separation in Taiwan doesn't mean squat and you don't want to face criminal charges for adultery or even worse, piss off your wife!

4. Make a quick trip to your NIA and see the agent in charge of the APRC applications. Tell them that you are coming up on 5 years of marriage very soon and would they please run your residency record to ensure that you are eligible to apply for the APRC and exactly what date are you eligible.

5. You should start working on your paperwork for the APRC now if you find out that you are eligible. You need to start with the police background check from your home country as that is the most time consuming part of the APRC application. If you're American, that means you need to do an FBI background check. No worries here because I've done 15 and helped other people numerous times. I've almost got it down to a science. PM me if you're American and would like assistance with the FBI background check. If you're not American, sorry you're on your own.

6. You need to ensure that you have reported and paid taxes on a minimum of $430,000 NTD for the 2011 tax year. This is the minimum for applying for the APRC. Tax time is this month (May), so be sure to declare and pay taxes on this miniscule amount if you want to apply for the APRC. If you decide to apply for the APRC after January 1, 2013, then you need to declare and pay taxes on a minimum of $460,000 NTD for the 2012 tax year. more possible option for you. If you are a foreigner married to a Taiwan national, you can also show a bank account with a minimum balance of $500,000 NTD and can qualify for the APRC this way. However, the caveat is that the money has to be in the account for a minimum of one full year immediately preceeding applying for the APRC and the balance can't have dropped below this minimum during the entire year. See the APRC Application thread for more information.

7. Once you've gotten your APRC and the Open-Work Permit in your hot little hand, you can do whatever you want. Now, you will be in a position of power with the ability to negotiate yourself a proper and fair divorce deal with your wife. You can tell her that you've changed your mind and you don't agree to all her demands for divorce. You can refuse to divorce her, you can tell her you want full custody and you want her to pay you child support and she can have visitation rights. You can get a lawyer, waste tens of thousands of dollars and have a right proper divorce slugfest. The point is, you will have your immigration status already adjudicated, you won't need her assistance for jack shit and you won't be at risk for losing your status based on her attitude of the day!

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we are all behind you 100% and wish you the best during this most difficult time of your life.

Best of luck to you. :bow:
User avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)
Posts: 1885
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 16:37

Re: Divorce in 2012

Postby TheGingerMan » 05 May 2012, 04:13

Why was this thread butchered thus by so-called moderation?

Oh, because it is in the legal section. And even Satan knows that lawyers can't stand opinions and innuendo!
Is there a fallback for all the opinion that was in this thread prior? Or was it all flamed? If so, very ineptly done.
Mordeth: I've seen you around your son, I know you are a great dad. I also know you are a brutally honest person, I trait I happen to hold quite dear.
That said:
It is best not to complicate matters before the final breaching.
Leave that nasty beeswax to those best adept at circumvention of reality.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"


"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"It shall rain for forty days and forty nights, until your vile odour is cleansed."
User avatar
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Posts: 7992
Joined: 29 Aug 2005, 00:38
Location: The Thin Edge Of The Wedge
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Re: Divorce in 2012

Postby Omniloquacious » 05 May 2012, 10:36

Excellent input from Northcoast Surfer, as usual.

Good luck, Mordeth. Whatever happens, I hope above all that your son will be able to main a full and positive relationship with both his mum and his dad, and will not suffer from the fallout of bad feelings between you. As long as that requirement is met, the divorce shouldn't represent anything too tragic for either you or the wife. You should both be able to put it behind you quickly enough and get on with your lives more happily than will be possible if you stay married to each other.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
User avatar
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Posts: 5691
Joined: 24 Sep 2002, 14:15
Location: The 鳥不生蛋狗不拉屎 wasteland of Linkou

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Divorce

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 guest