Another case of divorce, advice most welcomed!

Procedures, processes, and the legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Another case of divorce, advice most welcomed!

Postby Liz_Taipei » 02 Apr 2008, 20:59

OK, here is my case!

Canadian woman married to a Taiwanese guy. Got married in Canada. Registered the marriage in Taiwan.
I got the JFRV.
We are now looking to get divorced, no fault, just get it over with. No kids, no house, nothing much between the two of us (thank God!).
I'm living in Korea as of February.

Question 1. Do I need to fly back to Taiwan to sign the papers or they can be mailed to me?

Question 2. What should I do for the Canadian part of the issue? Will I need to register the divorce over there and how?

Can't wait for all that to be behind!!!!

Most grateful for all constructive advice!
Liz_Taipei
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Another case of divorce, advice most welcomed!

Postby kelake » 03 Apr 2008, 10:06

Liz_Taipei wrote:OK, here is my case!

Canadian woman married to a Taiwanese guy. Got married in Canada. Registered the marriage in Taiwan.
I got the JFRV.
We are now looking to get divorced, no fault, just get it over with. No kids, no house, nothing much between the two of us (thank God!).
I'm living in Korea as of February.

Question 1. Do I need to fly back to Taiwan to sign the papers or they can be mailed to me?

Question 2. What should I do for the Canadian part of the issue? Will I need to register the divorce over there and how?

Can't wait for all that to be behind!!!!

Most grateful for all constructive advice!

http://www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/generale/sep-div-a.htm
kelake
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

19 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Liz_Taipei » 05 Sep 2008, 15:52

OK, here's the followup.

I had to fly back to Taiwan, and we signed the papers, all done in under an hour!

I thought we had to sign the divorce contract in front of an attorney, but it turned out, a the ex-husband found out when he finally decided to collaborate, you can buy the divorce contract in any bookstore and sign it in front of 2 people with Taiwanese ID cards.
We signed ours on the counter of the Household Registration Office, with our 2 witnesses. Then take a number, sit down and register the thing. A few signatures later, shake hands, and happily get out of there! You're free!!!

It didn't cost a thing, oh sorry, it cost 100 NT per copy of divorce certificate. That's all!

For the record, 'we' were a simple case: no kids, no house, no nothing. I gave him back the half kilo of yellow gold jewelry that was meant to be my dowry, which I wasn't wearing anyways. I gave it back out of respect for his family.

I feel for all the forumosans I read about here that are stuck in bad marriages with kids they can't visit.
Liz_Taipei

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Belgian Pie » 05 Sep 2008, 16:02

Shouldn't you have the document translated and notarized, stamped by the Canadian office and than have it registered in Canada ... for the Canadian law you're still married ... :bow:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 11 Sep 2008, 21:33

I don't know Canada but I know Denmark.

When you get the stamp at the rear of a photo copy of the divorce agreement, (I am here assuming that the divorce was a mutually agreed one), you take it to a translator, and you then get the it translated into English, and get it certified by thye local court.

That goes to BJOCA for certification, and from there on it's the trade office, and off to Denmark with the document.

One thing I noticed was that the Danish govt when told about it put the date of the divorce as the original one, not the day it got registered by them. That means that you were divorced in the moment you got it signed here in Taiwan, registering it in Denmark was merely a formality, IE if I re-married in a place where they don't worry about single certificates and all that I would not be a bigamist.

That's nice but rather useless to know.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

52 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

Postby Liz_Taipei » 18 Sep 2008, 20:46

Belgian Pie: I am divorced! No matter if it's registered in Canada or not. :bow:

The certificate I got is already in English, real English at that!

No one told me about getting the document certified at the Canadian Trade Office. I'll fly back to Canada in December and will get the thing registered there.

Ahhhh, glad the worse is over. The rest is just formalities and I don't need Mr. Ex's cooperation for that!!!
Liz_Taipei

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Liz_Taipei » 30 Mar 2009, 18:38

My ex's English is still in the experimental stages of Chinglish and having a good knowledge of Mandarin grammar and sentence structure greatly helps understanding the basic nuances of his inspired messages, emails, and ... blog!!!

Blog he's been keeping since I 'abandoned' him 'heartlessly' last year, with all the good stuff such as defamation, invasion of privacy (many times over, went as far as putting a map of my workplace abroad), publication of scanned handwritten notes, posting of pictures of me when we were still married... I must be forgetting some stuff here.

He's even contacting my parents on a regular basis, and them, for fear of him slitting his wrists or something, are kind enough to keep contact.
Liz_Taipei

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Indiana » 31 Mar 2009, 11:07

Liz_Taipei wrote:My ex's English is still in the experimental stages of Chinglish and having a good knowledge of Mandarin grammar and sentence structure greatly helps understanding the basic nuances of his inspired messages, emails, and ... blog!!!

Blog he's been keeping since I 'abandoned' him 'heartlessly' last year, with all the good stuff such as defamation, invasion of privacy (many times over, went as far as putting a map of my workplace abroad), publication of scanned handwritten notes, posting of pictures of me when we were still married... I must be forgetting some stuff here.

He's even contacting my parents on a regular basis, and them, for fear of him slitting his wrists or something, are kind enough to keep contact.

Wow, that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Can the hosts of his blog do anything about what he's posting?

Your poor parents....
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby Liz_Taipei » 31 Mar 2009, 13:18

Thanks Indiana!!! The most important part is that he signed the darn piece of paper! It took a few months to get him to do this and I had to give back the ring (expensive) and the gold dowry, which in the end, didn't matter that much.

I'm now enjoying a very fulfilling life in Korea, dating a NORMAL guy who makes my life even sweeter, that's what's important!

Indeed, my poor parents!
Liz_Taipei

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Satellite TV » 02 Apr 2009, 01:46

Belgian Pie wrote:Shouldn't you have the document translated and notarized, stamped by the Canadian office and than have it registered in Canada ... for the Canadian law you're still married ... :bow:

No. A legal divorce is recognized just as a legal marriage is. As long as the fivorce complies with the local laws of the land where it is registered ( the household registration office )
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Divorce