Do I have to leave Taiwan if I divorce?

Procedures, processes, and the legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Do I have to leave Taiwan if I divorce?

Postby Icon » 01 Dec 2009, 16:07

itakitez wrote:So, also a little further question

If for instance you had a mortgaged property and JFRV visa, what would happen if the taiwanese citizen was no longer with us?

1. would the bank call in the loan despite constant repayments? I cant see how they could keep a mortgage against someone who was not alive, so if you couldnt pay it off in one chunk, would you lose the house?

2. would you also lose your visa status? is this effected by gender (ie, female join the family so foreigner female would be retained, but males dispatched?)

ie, would you be dealt a triple wammy in event of an unfortunate accicent (like scooter crash/...) lose spose, visa, job, house...

1. Dunno about this one, but it is a very good question. As I pointed out in anotehr thread, the concept of buying insurance to cover your mortgage as you make the paperwork is rather new here, it is a "new product" as the bank employee told me. It is a standard back home -you die, they still get your money, your dependents won't lose their roof, win win. It seems to be the best option in this case, so far. Ask your bank or insurer if they have it.

2. It used to be like that. Now they give you three months for you to arrange the paperwork and stay if so desired -if you have sufficient ties here- or put the effects in order. If children present and children are Taiwanese then those are ties, for example.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

529 Recommends(s)
411 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 01 Dec 2009, 16:11

itakitez wrote:what would happen if the taiwanese citizen was no longer with us?

2. would you also lose your visa status? is this effected by gender (ie, female join the family so foreigner female would be retained, but males dispatched?)

When I got my JFRV, the guy at the NIA said that death of the Taiwanese half did not necessarily mean cancellation of the JFRV.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

153 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)

Postby TheLostSwede » 01 Dec 2009, 18:26

itakitez wrote: in event of an unfortunate accicent (like scooter crash/...)

Already fed up with the wife are we? :D
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby itakitez » 02 Dec 2009, 12:41

TheLostSwede wrote:
itakitez wrote: in event of an unfortunate accicent (like scooter crash/...)

Already fed up with the wife are we? :D

I knew someone would come up with that one

Actually, was just reading through all the visa stuff and since my wife does have a car accident and/or a semi-serious illness about once a month the foregoing questions occured to me. (thankfully nothing serious, but she does insist on running orange lights despite my best efforts and her experience trying to educate her otherwise, in the last 6 months alone causing/contributing to three crashes) On a scooter, when we first met it was as high as once every 2 weeks, so at least there is a learning curve...

Anyway, thanks for the info, although I hope I nor any others need first hand experience
[during the earthquake] all the violent back-and-forth swaying led me to sinful contemplation of wild and lustful acts of fornication

Almas John 03.04.10
Forumosan avatar
itakitez
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

Postby Icon » 02 Dec 2009, 17:27

Insurance shoo-in if I ever saw one... :lol:
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

529 Recommends(s)
411 Recognized(s)

Postby yaoshema » 25 Dec 2009, 00:30

Don't Taiwanese parents ever teach their children to LOOK BOTH WAYS before crossing the street (entering traffic as an adult)???????? aaaaghhh! :noway:
Forumosan avatar
yaoshema
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby Gao Bohan » 25 Dec 2009, 02:20

Icon wrote:Insurance shoo-in if I ever saw one... :lol:

More like someone who is thoroughly uninsurable.
"We're not going to be disrespected," Rep. Marlin Stutzman (R-Ind.) told The Washington Examiner. "We have to get something out of this. And I don't know what that even is."
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

103 Recommends(s)
200 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 25 Dec 2009, 12:12

yaoshema wrote:Don't Taiwanese parents ever teach their children to LOOK BOTH WAYS before crossing the street (entering traffic as an adult)???????? aaaaghhh! :noway:

I don't think so, judging from the prevalence of jaywalking here.

I have had 2 persons jumping out in front of my car this morning, note that the drive was not to Kending, rather down to the local laguardia. They walk out in front of me without looking. Oh well, keeps you on your toes.

I got around the "leave Taiwan" bit by getting a PARC, if in a pinch, I guess you could set up a rep office.

No matter what, I would strongly advice people here on a work/jfrv to get a PARC when they can. By doing so you are here on your own merit, not on somebody elses, and that's always a comforting thought in case something happens.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

41 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Divorce