Mirroring 'custody' court orders in Taiwan?

Procedures, processes, and the legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Mirroring 'custody' court orders in Taiwan?

Postby tigsie » 07 Apr 2010, 06:21

Hello again,

I wondered if anyone has any experience of having foreign court orders 'mirrored' in Taiwan?

I was divorced via the courts in Taiwan for 'malicious desertion' two years after I left Taiwan with our child with ex's verbal consent. I did not contest the court summons, so the divorce was decreed in my absence. Fine by me. Problem is, nothing was mentioned regarding custody / maintenance of our child.

To preempt any attempt by my ex to file for custody in Taiwan, I am starting the process of getting various court orders in place regarding what used to be known as child 'custody' in the UK (residence order, consent order, contact order, etc).

My question is: can these be mirrored in Taiwan and what is the process for doing this?

Is it simply a case of taking the UK court order, getting it translated into Chinese, and then notarised / legalised in the Taiwan courts, so that it is registered as a 'contract' between my ex and me?

He is playing dumb about the processes and swears that the courts do not do this kind of thing. Surely you can sign affidavits at the courts in Taiwan?

The reason for getting this done is so that I would not feel quite so paranoid about potential abduction while he comes to the UK to visit and see his child (I am guessing it would be dead easy to apply for a ROC passport on paternity grounds?) and also so that if I ever wanted to return to Taiwan with our child, there would be no risk of being unable to leave / abduction / etc...

Thanks!
tigsie
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Mirroring 'custody' court orders in Taiwan?

Postby housecat » 07 Apr 2010, 06:33

If your child had a Taiwanese passport before, yes. It would be dead easy for your husband to get another one--but he still needs the photos. He only had to have your consent for the first passport, he doesn't need it for others beyond the first. If you child never had a Taiwanese passport, I believe you husband is supposed to have your consent before the passport can be issued--but we're talking about Taiwan. Nothing is ever carved in stone.

Sorry, I can't speak to the mirroring queston.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby saddletramp » 08 Apr 2010, 00:16

If your child entered the UK with a UK passport, I don't think he could leave on the Taiwan passport. There wouldn't be entry stamps on it, and sure to cause red flags with officials.

Make sure you lock up his UK passport, though.
Forumosan avatar
saddletramp
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

113 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby spaint » 08 Apr 2010, 14:06

Do they actually check, when you leave the UK?
spaint
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

27 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Return to Divorce