Legalities of consenting divorce

Procedures, processes, and the legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Legalities of consenting divorce

Postby LordBritish » 25 Jun 2010, 16:10

I've got three kids, and my wife and I (married 7 years) both want to get a divorce. She brought it up last night, actually. She said that she will give me custody of the kids and half the house (which is in her name). She could genuinely mean it, but of course, it is possible that she's playing a game and has ulterior motives. In the past, every time she mentioned divorce, even though I really wanted one, I always said that we would not get one under any circumstances.
I made it very clear to her that I would never divorce her if I didn't gain custody of the kids and half the assets. Also, as I would never cheat on her, she'd never have anything against me. She said that I can go and draw up the divorce papers with the conditions and she'll sign it. I know that the divorce papers are available at any bookstore.
My questions are:
1) If she agrees and signs, how can it be made into a legally binding document?
2) Also, if she decides to go back on her word, is there anything that I could do?
3) Do I need to have the papers done by a lawyer (if both parties consent), or can we do it ourselves and take the documents into the courts or something?
Thanks everybody
LordBritish
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Legalities of consenting divorce

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 25 Jun 2010, 16:13

Brettl wrote:I've got three kids, and my wife and I (married 7 years) both want to get a divorce. She brought it up last night, actually. She said that she will give me custody of the kids and half the house (which is in her name). She could genuinely mean it, but of course, it is possible that she's playing a game and has ulterior motives. In the past, every time she mentioned divorce, even though I really wanted one, I always said that we would not get one under any circumstances.
I made it very clear to her that I would never divorce her if I didn't gain custody of the kids and half the assets. Also, as I would never cheat on her, she'd never have anything against me. She said that I can go and draw up the divorce papers with the conditions and she'll sign it. I know that the divorce papers are available at any bookstore.
My questions are:
2) Also, if she decides to go back on her word, is there anything that I could do?
3) Do I need to have the papers done by a lawyer (if both parties consent), or can we do it ourselves and take the documents into the courts or something?
Thanks everybody
Regarding the house. Before you consent to divorce, you should go to the land title office and have your wife "gift" at least 50% of the house to you first. That way, you have a legal piece of paper which states you own a certain percentage of it.
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby LordBritish » 25 Jun 2010, 16:48

Excellent advice.
Thanks
LordBritish

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 25 Jun 2010, 17:12

Regarding your immigration status in Taiwan.

1. What is your current status?

a. Employment based ARC?
b. JFRV Spousal ARC?
c. APRC permanent resident?
d. Citizen of Taiwan?

If you currently hold a JFRV Spousal ARC, it would be in your best interest to apply for an APRC or Taiwan citizenship before consenting to a divorce. Unless you legally get custody of your children, and a judge upholds the law, :roflmao: , you would be in a difficult situation if your JFRV status ends upon getting divorced. It's much better to have an APRC based on your own rights, than be a possible victim with a JFRV ARC.
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby LordBritish » 25 Jun 2010, 17:15

I've got a JFRV, but I'm going to get an APRC very very soon.
LordBritish

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby I am a City Girl » 26 Jun 2010, 02:01

Brettl wrote:My questions are:
Thanks everybody

1) Bring the signed divorce paper with 2 witnesses signatures on it, your APRC, 3 passport pictures (within latest two months) and then go to the househould registration office with your ex-wife (to be). Then it's done! Literally you will be the free man again on the divorce registration date.
2) Yes, you can request her to carry out her obligations under the divorce agreement. If she does nothing,you can, of course, consider filing a lawsuit against her. Though I'd suggest you might have to think what's the point you win or lose the case when the marriage has already gone and how would you explain all these to your children.
3) You can either draft by yourselves or hire a lawyer to have the thing done.

Good Luck
I am a City Girl
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby LordBritish » 26 Jun 2010, 14:50

Thanks for that. I'll get them drawn up and witnessed, then hold onto them until my APRC comes through.
LordBritish

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 26 Jun 2010, 17:02

Regarding laws in Taiwan.

There are no laws that can't be ignored and hardly any that can be enforced. Even if you get your divorce agreement all drawn up and signed, there is no guarantee that your wife will follow it after the divorce is finalized. Additionally, there are no gaurantees that any judge in Taiwan will enforce any legally binding documents or even his/her own judgements!

Case in point. Forumosa member pgdaddy has been through hell and back regarding custody of his son. He even won a court order which granted him visitation rights, however minimal, which is wife and the rest of her family has ignored. If I remember correctly, the judge himself went to his ex-wife's place of employment to direct her to produce pgdaddy's son and abide by his visitation judgement. She refused to comply with the judges demands and nothing happened to her beyond a minimal fine which she refused to pay. Pgdaddy hasn't seen or spoken to his son in over a year and no one with any power is willing to assist him. You can PM him to get some insight and also follow some threads he's posted in to see how he's faired regarding divorce and child custody in Taiwan.

My wife locked me out and refuse to let me see my baby

Enforcement of visitation rights

Need help locating my son, Leo Wang

How is my son going to be, growing up in Taiwan without me?

Remember, in the eyes of the Taiwanese people you are just a lousy foreigner, but your wife is a Taiwanese. As racist and discriminatory as it is, that makes all the difference regarding issues of divorce and custody of children in Taiwan.

Proceed carefully.
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 26 Jun 2010, 19:17

Listen to NCS, we usually have this happen about every 3-4 months where some poor bastard is going through a divorce and losing everything.

Assets: Split them now before the divorce
House: Have her gift 50% just like NCS said
Kids: Expect to lose them unless your wife is unable to take care of them on her own. They are what the not-so-polite on this board refer to as "bargaining chips". Because if she decides that you aren't going to see them and they aren't leaving the country, then you aren't going to see them and the kids are never leaving the country.
APRC: Get it done now, this will show good faith on her part.

I'd say work out and finalize everything before you sign the divorce papers. I'd actually recommend buying NCS dinner and picking his brain on what you should all do beforehand. You could even get a clean bag of shit out of it for your APRC.(inside joke) :p

About the ulterior motives, my guess is that she has loads of them. She has got to be really insecure and worried at this moment and should be acting slightly irrationally. I'd pay attention to who she is hanging out with and what their relationship is to you.

Wallowing in cynical paranoia,
Okami
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Divorce