Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Recognition of Taiwan Divorce in the U.S.

Procedures, processes, and the legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Recognition of Taiwan Divorce in the U.S.

Postby housecat » 06 Apr 2012, 17:27

Satellite TV wrote:
housecat wrote:I was married first in Taiwan and then in the States (AR). Because at the time the Taiwanese would recognize my ex as married to me, but not me as married to him (they didn't assume authority to marry a foreigner :roll: ), this was necessary for me to get residency here based on my marriage..

Since when? I got married here without needing to be married again to the same person in another country. All marriages conducted in a court here are recognized here and yes they do marry foreigners to Taiwanese.

User avatar
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Posts: 6634
Joined: 16 Jun 2003, 18:14
Location: Seven Bridges Road

Re: Recognition of Taiwan Divorce in the U.S.

Postby Hartzell » 09 May 2012, 22:11

HeiLung wrote:There must be plenty of people living in Taiwan who had been married in the US, divorced here, and then had the Taiwan divorce recognized back in the US. If you are such a person, or know such a person, or otherwise know what must be done in any state in the US, I'd be much obliged for your help.

I will assume that you are have completed a divorce from your Taiwan spouse in Taiwan, that you are still in Taiwan, and that you are still on speaking terms with your ex.

I note that the United States has no central registry of marriages, or divorces . . . . . . either at the state or federal level.

Under such circumstances, why don't you go with your ex to the Household Registration Office here in Taiwan and get an English-language copy of her household registration document -- the full document, with all annotations.

This will be stamped by the Household Registration Office, so it is an official document. You should be listed on there as the divorced spouse. Then take this document to AIT and apply for your SINGLE CERTIFICATE. Get everything notarized of course.

It would seem to me that all of this documentation would be adequate proof anywhere in an English-speaking country to establish the fact that you are divorced.
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
User avatar
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Posts: 2348
Joined: 31 Oct 2000, 17:01
Location: Nei Hu District, Taipei, Taiwan

Re: Recognition of Taiwan Divorce in the U.S.

Postby mfaass » 05 Jun 2012, 11:06

I am Canadian. I was married in Canada to my Taiwanese wife. We were divorced in Taiwan. I called a lawyer last evening about dissolving or divorcing officially in Canada. According to what they said, 1) In order to get a dissolution/divorce based on the divorce in a foreign jurisdiction you must submit proof that the divorce meets Canadian standards. 2) if the documents are not sufficient then a divorce would have to be applied for in Canada. 3) a divorce can only be applied for in Canada by a resident of Canada. So, if the documents issued by the Household Registration office are not sufficient then I'm screwed and can either stay married or move back to Canada for a year to qualify to get a divorce.

Also filing for a simple divorce through the government with no lawyers costs approximately $450, according to their site. ... part_2.pdf

Oh Canada, land of high taxes and high government stupidity and over-bureaucratization how my ten or so years away have made me glad I left!

All information I have is applicable to the province of Ontario.
My Chinese isn't getting better, and my English is getting worse.
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Posts: 147
Joined: 26 Aug 2002, 23:03
Location: Kaohsiung

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Divorce

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests