Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

avoid taiwanted due to SPAM

Let us know what you think about Forumosafieds. Questions, problems and new ideas are all welcome.

avoid taiwanted due to SPAM

Postby John » 12 May 2010, 18:52

For the last 6 weeks I've been overwhelmed with SPAM emails via 'Taiwanted'

TheY all use gmail accounts, and have the heading 'Quote Request - Your Classified Ad'.

I deleted my ad a few weeks ago, but the spam is continuing.

I highly recommend avoiding Taiwanted until this part of the site is made more secure.

SAMPLE OF SPAM EMAIL:

Taiwanted
New Message
Hi jands,
You have been sent the following email from a visitor on our web site regarding your listing at Taiwanted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: ayisejanas
Email: ayisejanas@gmail.com
(spam urls in email removed)

Listing URL: http://taiwanted.com/viewlisting.php?view=

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best regards,
Taiwanted Team
http://taiwanted.com
John
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 08 Nov 1999

Re: avoid taiwanted due to SPAM

Postby goose egg » 12 May 2010, 20:56

Hi jands

Thank you for reporting this problem. Would you forward one of the messages you receive to me at admin (at) forumosa.com? I'd like to have a closer look at the problem.

We are planning to change software platforms for Taiwanted. But I would still like to make sure this is a software matter and not something else

Cheers
gus.

"When life is meaningless, life is cheap"
- finley
Image Filipinos sa Taiwan LinkedIn Group
goose egg
Forumosa Admin

In Taiwan since: 09 Sep 1992

Postby John » 12 May 2010, 21:07

Sure, just deleted them all, but I am sure there will be another batch tomorrow.
John

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby John » 16 May 2010, 17:36

Ok...just forwarded the two latest, to your email.
John

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby maoman » 17 May 2010, 00:52

Thanks. I see what the problem is - spammers are replying to your ad with a bunch of links, hoping that you'll click on them. Thanks very much for the feedback. I think we'll have to add a layer of security to replies, maybe using captcha or something like that.
maoman

Postby analogue_kid » 17 May 2010, 02:40

jands wrote:For the last 6 weeks I've been overwhelmed with SPAM emails via 'Taiwanted'

ESL99 are also assholes for doing that. You can "unsubscribe" 100 times and they'll keep spamming. You can tell them to "f*** off" and they'll keep spamming you.

The best thing to do (for any site, really, but especially those in Taiwan) is register with a throwaway email address and save your good addresses for personal contacts.
analogue_kid
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Forumosafieds Feedback