Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Man dies in correctional custody

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Man dies in correctional custody

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 12 Jul 2013, 19:19

It seems someone was sent to correctional custody for bringing a cell phone into base 2 days before his discharge, and he died from being overworked or something.

This has made rather big news (if that means anything considering in Taiwan anything makes big news), and the MND has decided to close all correctional custody facilities in the country and end the practice completely.

What do you think? Me personally there are some people who really deserves it (like one guy who points guns at people like it's a toy during watch details, and has real issue with authorities) but I think the whole practice is too easily abused, which is probably why they decided to close it completely (since they know they can't really control their subordinates as much as they think they could).

A bunch of high level Army brass got demerits as a result of this and a bunch of people are getting court martial too.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Man dies in correctional custody

Postby Icon » 13 Jul 2013, 22:30

Few highlights:
The guy who ordered the lockup spent the nights in KTVs, playing mayong -forbidden to the military- and other amusements. we know because he posted on FB about his exploits.

The usual penalty, as per military code, for carrying a cellphone is extra exercise practice -more situps, kind of thing. But because the guy was exceptionally good at physical endeavors, well, the boss decided to up the ante... which is itself illegal.

Even so, 30 days for this kind of punishment, in a tiny room without even a fan in this heat, had the obvious result: guy lasted 3 days, collapsed at the fourth, died a couple days later. BTW, there is also question about his autopsy results, which were expedited.

In summary: this stinks.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Re: Man dies in correctional custody

Postby the bear » 14 Jul 2013, 16:55

Doesn't surprise me. They used to lose 50 kids a year through sunstroke till the mothers got involved.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
the bear
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

In Taiwan since: 23 Aug 1990

Taiwanes soldier was murdered by Taiwanese government.

Postby williamchung7 » 18 Jul 2013, 14:55

Taiwanes soldier was murdered by Taiwanese government.
By Dragonhu1858 | Posted July 15, 2013 | Taipei, Taiwan

CNN PRODUCER NOTE

The Taiwanese army yesterday apologized for the death of a soldier and promised to punish personnel responsible for the incident.

Hung Chung-chiu (洪仲丘), a soldier performing compulsory service in the army’s sixth regiment, died three days before he was due to complete his term of service.

The army said Hung was scheduled to leave the military on Saturday.

On June 23 he was found carrying a cellphone with a camera and an MP3 player after returning from vacation, and was placed in confinement on June 28.

The army said Hung’s confinement ended on Wednesday last week. At 4:30pm that day, he joined a 45-minute routine training session with fellow soldiers, which included running, push-ups, sit-ups and other activities.

At 5:30pm, Hung told his supervisors that he felt “very sick.”

He was sent to a military hospital in Hsinchu County and was later transferred to the Tri-Service General Hospital, where he died the next day, the army said.

Hung’s parents believe their son died from heat exhaustion.

They said Hung, who was sick when placed in confinement, was asked to join a training session in very hot weather immediately upon his release, adding that the army is responsible for his death.

Military spokesman Major General David Lo (羅紹和) told a press conference that Minister of National Defense Kao Hua-chu (高華柱) is very angry about the incident and has ordered the army to investigate it and seriously punish those responsible.

During the press conference, Vice Commander of the Army Lieutenant-General Wu You-ming (吳有明) bowed and apologized for the incident.

He said an initial probe found several problems with Hung’s treatment. The regulations used for his confinement were questionable; personnel monitoring Hung’s unit during the training exercise neglected their duties; personnel dealing with his emergency treatment were untrained; and his unit’s training regime was not adjusted in accordance with the heat.

Wu said an investigation is ongoing.

Meanwhile, in other news, in response to local media reports that allege Taiwanese film director Doze Niu’s (鈕承澤) new film, Military Paradise (軍中樂園), was at least 20 percent funded by Chinese capital, Lo said the military was not previously aware of this as Niu had not informed them when applying for military support for his film.

The military has decided to stop assisting Niu with his latest film project and is to take legal action against him for allowing a Chinese photographer to use false documents to enter a naval base in southern Taiwan on June 1 on a location-scouting trip.

Additional reporting by CNA
This article is cited from Taipei Times
http://ireport.CNN.com/docs/DOC-1005438
williamchung7
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 07 Feb 1989

Re: Taiwanes soldier was murdered by Taiwanese government.

Postby hansioux » 18 Jul 2013, 16:54

that's what happens when you try to be an upstanding person in KMT's military
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Taffy » 18 Jul 2013, 16:59

williamchung7 wrote:Taiwanes soldier was murdered by Taiwanese government.

a) It wasn't murder
b) The government had nothing to do with it

Apart from that, spot on.
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Postby bigduke6 » 18 Jul 2013, 17:19

Taffy wrote:

a) It wasn't murder

I am glad to see the accuracy and quality of Taiwanese journalism is improving. :roflmao: :roflmao:
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
bigduke6
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

Postby hansioux » 18 Jul 2013, 17:30

Taffy wrote:

a) It wasn't murder

actually it was.

Master Sergeants Fan Zuo-Sian (范佐憲) and Chen Yi-Ren (陳以人) forced Comany Commander Xu Xin-Zhen 徐信正 to punish Hung Chung-chiu (洪仲丘). They falsified reports saying Hung brought a a smart phone into the camp, but in fact he only brought a camera feature phone. They said it's a smart phone to make it seem more serious, and said Hung often plays with his smartphone without regard to his commanding officers.

They then proceed to place him under solitary confinement, which is too severe a punishment even for constantly using smartphones. To be placed into solitary confinement, the military must run a physical fitness exam to make sure the safety of the punished, which usually takes a couple of weeks. Hung was scheduled to be discharged less than a week. Master Sergeant Fan was so determined to have Hung punished, he begged the personnels in charge of doing the physical exam to sign off in 1 day, and went off base to buy drinks to treat the staff that signed off on the report.

Aside from the solitary confinement, Hung was subjected to harsh physical training in sweltering heat as punishment. The weather was above the recommended temp for outdoor training. Hung was denied water. He soon injured himself and was forced to continue. He asked for medical assistance several times when his asthma acted up and had trouble breathing but was denied medical assistance. When his body temperature went over 40 degrees and his muscles began to dissolve, he again repeatedly asked for help and received none. It doesn't seem like negligent homicide to me. They have taken extraordinary steps to make sure Hung receives the most severe treatment and denied him medical assistance every step of the way.

Master Sergeant Fan was so determined to have Hung punished, because in a supposedly "confidential" straight talk session off base, hosted to ask how the military can improve itself, Hung give several great advice, but his last point talk about how the COs are lax in their discipline but asks highly of those under them. This prompted an internal investigation of Fan and Chen. During the investigation the investigators let slip it was Hung who prompted the whole thing. So in KMT military logic, it was time to "educate" Hung.
hansioux

Postby Deuce Dropper » 18 Jul 2013, 17:36

Did seemingly young and healthy people used to die so often from heat exhaustion or are we doing something different nowadays?

It seems like every year we read about a football player dropping after a summer practice and other stories like the one above. I remember back in the day when we had football training camp in the August heat we were worked like dogs in ways that I think are illegal now and denied water so we would be tough to handle the rigours of the upcoming season. Don't remember people dropping so readily.

Unfortunate incident, but blaming this on the government is akin to Americans blaming all their issues on Obama or Bush.
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

Postby hansioux » 18 Jul 2013, 17:58

Deuce Dropper wrote:Did seemingly young and healthy people used to die so often from heat exhaustion or are we doing something different nowadays?

Well he was denied water in 33 degrees weather under the sun, with 86% humidity, works out to be 41.6 degrees with humidity effect. Military defined such weather as red flag temperature and no training should be conducted out doors. Also he had pre-existing conditions which would have made him unsuitable for solitary confinement in a super heated cell. Had master sergeant Fan allowed the medical exam under normal procedure, Hung wouldn't have been sent to solitary confinement. But of course, he would also have been discharged, so Fan made sure Hung gets his.

I don't know, maybe it just getting hotter, while people don't work outside as much. I assume it'd be different for an young farmer who have been laboring in the fields since a kid to do extreme physical training in such weather, as opposed to a college kid who aims to do graduate research after military service.
hansioux

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Military Conscription