Can I be conscripted if I apply for visa extension?

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Can I be conscripted if I apply for visa extension?

Postby rac1201 » 02 Dec 2004, 04:56

I know there has been a lot of discussion about military conscription and I've read through pretty much every post dealing with it. But I have a question of my own.

I was born in Taiwan but moved to the US when I was 6. I have a US passport and everytime I go to visit Taiwan, I have always used my US passport.
I have contacted the TECO in New York about my concerns with military conscription and they have said that as long as I don't overstay my visa, military conscription will not be a problem.

However, in a few months, I'm planning on staying in Taiwan for 1-2 years. My visa allows me only 30 days. I plan on doing visa extensions so I can live there for 2 years. (actually...visa extensions + leaving/entering Taiwan every 4 months)
My question is, if I apply for a visa extension at the police station, will that allow the government to track how long I have been in Taiwan?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
rac1201
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Satellite TV » 02 Dec 2004, 17:08

Yes, they can also track your period of stay thru immigration. You will have an entry and exit record when you enter and leave an immigration point, namely the airport.

I expect some of you two year stay is going to end up as part of your 4 year stay, including doing military service.

You plan on staying 1 - 2 years, and if you work or study you will be an illegal immigrant. If you get caught you'll end up in the military for sure.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Re: Can I be conscripted if I apply for visa extension?

Postby Yellow Cartman » 02 Dec 2004, 21:44

rac1201 wrote:I have contacted the TECO in New York about my concerns with military conscription and they have said that as long as I don't overstay my visa, military conscription will not be a problem.

As long as you don't break their laws such as overstaying a visa, you'll be ok. They have no cause to snatch you for conscription if you enter Taiwan with your US passport and have not broken any laws.

rac1201 wrote:However, in a few months, I'm planning on staying in Taiwan for 1-2 years. My visa allows me only 30 days. I plan on doing visa extensions so I can live there for 2 years. (actually...visa extensions + leaving/entering Taiwan every 4 months)

First, your 30 day visa - is this a landing visa, which are non-extendable, or some other type of visa?

rac1201 wrote:My question is, if I apply for a visa extension at the police station, will that allow the government to track how long I have been in Taiwan?

Each time you extend at the Foreign Affairs police, they'll have a log of your stay. Take a look at the MOI, NPA website for more information.

Also, when you extend, you will need to provide a reason for the extension. You can extend for work, study, familial relations up to 2 times (e.g. 6 months if you entered with a 60-day visa) before you need to make a visa jump. All of these extension reasons require documentary proof.
Trillian: You idiot! You signed the order to destroy Earth!
Zaphod: I did?
Arthur: He did?
Trillian: Love and kisses Zaphod? You didn't even read it, did you?
Zaphod: Well, I'm president, I don't have a lot of time for reading.
Trillian: My whole planet destroyed because you thought someone wanted your autograph!
Forumosan avatar
Yellow Cartman
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Lord Lucan » 02 Dec 2004, 22:40

How are you going to be conscripted if you have no household registration? Who is going to draft you? Where will they send the draft notice? You're not on the draft register if you've entered as a US citizen on a US passport. I know people with ARCs who've been here for years on US passports. They've never used their ROC Overseas Chinese passports and therefore never registered a hukou and therefore are not registered anywhere that could generate a draft paper.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Yellow Cartman » 02 Dec 2004, 23:18

hexuan wrote:How are you going to be conscripted if you have no household registration? Who is going to draft you? Where will they send the draft notice? You're not on the draft register if you've entered as a US citizen on a US passport. I know people with ARCs who've been here for years on US passports. They've never used their ROC Overseas Chinese passports and therefore never registered a hukou and therefore are not registered anywhere that could generate a draft paper.

Yes, excellent point re: hukou. That's they way Taiwan controls its population. If you're not on one, then you're considered outside of the system and hence an untouchable for purposes of conscription. So, you're back to overstaying the visa as your biggest concern.
Trillian: My whole planet destroyed because you thought someone wanted your autograph!
Forumosan avatar
Yellow Cartman

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 02 Dec 2004, 23:34

Yellow Cartman wrote:
hexuan wrote:How are you going to be conscripted if you have no household registration? Who is going to draft you? Where will they send the draft notice? You're not on the draft register if you've entered as a US citizen on a US passport. I know people with ARCs who've been here for years on US passports. They've never used their ROC Overseas Chinese passports and therefore never registered a hukou and therefore are not registered anywhere that could generate a draft paper.

Yes, excellent point re: hukou. That's they way Taiwan controls its population. If you're not on one, then you're considered outside of the system and hence an untouchable for purposes of conscription. So, you're back to overstaying the visa as your biggest concern.

No, they know you're an ROC citizen as place of birth is Taiwan, and have an ID number even if you don't have an ID Card.

Then one day when you go to the airport to leave you get detained.... ooops
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV

Postby Tetsuo » 02 Dec 2004, 23:48

Satellite TV wrote:No, they know you're an ROC citizen as place of birth is Taiwan, and have an ID number even if you don't have an ID Card.

Um, no, because as far as they know you're American if you come in on a US passport. For all they know, you could just happen to have the same name as a Taiwanese resident. But unless they can deadset prove you're the same guy, I don't see how they can just go "Oi! You look Chinese - GET INTO OUR ARMY"
You're going to listen to me? To something I said? Jesus, man, haven't I made it abundantly clear during the tenure of our friendship that I don't know sh**? I mean, half the time I'm just talking out of my ass - Brodie Bruce, Mallrats
Tetsuo
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

Postby Satellite TV » 03 Dec 2004, 23:54

Tetsuo wrote:
Satellite TV wrote:No, they know you're an ROC citizen as place of birth is Taiwan, and have an ID number even if you don't have an ID Card.

Um, no, because as far as they know you're American if you come in on a US passport. For all they know, you could just happen to have the same name as a Taiwanese resident. But unless they can deadset prove you're the same guy, I don't see how they can just go "Oi! You look Chinese - GET INTO OUR ARMY"

try PLACE OF BIRTH.... TAIWAN or China it's in the passport..

In any case on the immigration form you have to write place of birth... so thats a dead giveaway as well....
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV

Postby Yellow Cartman » 04 Dec 2004, 00:22

Satellite TV wrote:
Yellow Cartman wrote:

No, they know you're an ROC citizen as place of birth is Taiwan, and have an ID number even if you don't have an ID Card.

But the US passport will have the English name, not the Chinese name. There's no way they could track your Chinese name and ID and match it to your English name. Simply impossible to do as no documents are in English.

Given that, you're saying that the ROC can still detain a US national just because your US passport said born in ROC?

That's very interesting.
Forumosan avatar
Yellow Cartman

1 Recognized(s)

Postby ac_dropout » 04 Dec 2004, 03:09

The key is the Hu Kuo family registry. If you're not in it, then your safe.

Detaining at the airport because of place of birth is ROC is not enough.

How do they know you didn't serve already?

If you have no documents linking your Chinese names and you have no ROC registry number, you're basically a foriegner.
ac_dropout
Suspended (bèi jìnle)
Suspended (bèi jìnle)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Military Conscription