Can I be conscripted if I apply for visa extension?

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby Satellite TV » 04 Dec 2004, 10:36

ac_dropout wrote:The key is the Hu Kuo family registry. If you're not in it, then your safe.

Detaining at the airport because of place of birth is ROC is not enough.

How do they know you didn't serve already? You've never heard of records?

If you have no documents linking your Chinese names and you have no ROC registry number, you're basically a foriegner.

He lived here until 6, so he will have been in the Hu Ko...
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

27 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Tetsuo » 04 Dec 2004, 11:14

Satellite TV wrote:
ac_dropout wrote:The key is the Hu Kuo family registry. If you're not in it, then your safe.

If you have no documents linking your Chinese names and you have no ROC registry number, you're basically a foriegner.

Yes, but again:
US Passport - only English name, so how do they know who he is in the hukou?
Sure, it'll say Place of Birth: Taipei (or whatever), but how do they know from that one piece of information that -
a) He hasn't already completed his service.
b) He hasn't given up his Taiwanese citizenship.
And thirdly, place of birth doesn't necessarily automatically grant citizenship, afaik.
You're going to listen to me? To something I said? Jesus, man, haven't I made it abundantly clear during the tenure of our friendship that I don't know sh**? I mean, half the time I'm just talking out of my ass - Brodie Bruce, Mallrats
Tetsuo
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

Postby Satellite TV » 04 Dec 2004, 16:27

Tetsuo wrote:
Satellite TV wrote:

Yes, but again:
US Passport - only English name, so how do they know who he is in the hukou?
Sure, it'll say Place of Birth: Taipei (or whatever), but how do they know from that one piece of information that -
a) He hasn't already completed his service.
b) He hasn't given up his Taiwanese citizenship.
And thirdly, place of birth doesn't necessarily automatically grant citizenship, afaik.

A: If he has completed military service he will have his 退伍令 with the service period and discharge date. He can't produce one... oops

B: ROC Citizens cannot renounce citizenship before 40 years of age.

C: I am assuming that that his parents are ROC Nationals, so he would also be an ROC national, having been born here to a father who was an ROC national at time of his birth. If not he wouldn't already have an ID card number and have to worry about the draft.

The main problem is that ROC allows visits of 4 months per year, which I read in another post is the maximum stay before being drafted. It is not 4 months with every visa entry. He wants to stay 1 - 2 years, clearly longer than 4 months per calender year. Secondly, he hasn't said what he wants to do during that time, perhaps study Chinese and also work.

I met a young ROC dual national who entered Taiwan on his American passport, then proceeded to live here as an ROC Citizen, thinking that as he entered on a USA passport he couldn't be touched. However he used his ID card for his health insurance, and he didnt tell his employers he was working illegally. So one day while he's at work, the military police turn up and take him away. He got to serve....
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV

27 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby wolf_reinhold » 04 Dec 2004, 16:46

Don't you want to serve your country of birth? Be all that you can be in the ROC Army!
Forumosan avatar
wolf_reinhold
"Drinks for the House!"

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Lu » 23 May 2008, 21:01

Tetsuo wrote:Um, no, because as far as they know you're American if you come in on a US passport. For all they know, you could just happen to have the same name as a Taiwanese resident. But unless they can deadset prove you're the same guy, I don't see how they can just go "Oi! You look Chinese - GET INTO OUR ARMY"
While this makes perfect sense, a former co-worker of mine once came in on his US passport, stayed for only a few days, and then was stopped at the airport: couldn't leave the country until he had fulfilled his military service. I don't know how this happened, but this shows it's not as simple as 'just use your other passport when you come in and you'll be fine.'
Lu
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Previous

x

Return to Military Conscription