Found "Official" laws regarding military conscription

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Found "Official" laws regarding military conscription

Postby rac1201 » 05 Dec 2004, 05:51

Hey guys, thanks for your replies on my previous post about extending my visas and the conscription issue. I got a responce from the TECO office and they gave me this website which has the chinese and english versions of the conscription law.

http://www.nca.gov.tw/ENGLISH/law.htm

(You'll need adobe acrobat with the chinese language download to view this correctly because it has both the english and chinese translations)

I guess what applies to me is the "Conscription Regulations for Naturalized Aliens and Returning Oversees Chinese"

I'm guessing what they mean by "Naturalized Aliens" is foreigners who become Taiwan citizens by naturalization.

I don't think I'm an "Oversees Chinese" because I don't have a Taiwan passport. (Well....I have one but it must have expired because the photo in the passport was taken when I was a little kid) and I have never used the passport after moving to the US.

Well after much thought......I guess I can only trust the TECO's email saying as long as I don't overstay my visa, military conscription is not a problem.

By the way, I have a mulitple entry visitors visa with a duration of stay for 60 days (not 30 as I wrote in the previous post....sorry)

Here is my situation:

1. My vistor visa expires 3/2005
2. I want to get a 90 day visa.
3. I want to stay for about a year in Taiwan...my fiance lives there : )
4. I recently just lost my job (thats why I want to spend some time in Taiwan)

How are the chances for me to get a 90 day visa?

Thanks again for any help guys!! : )
rac1201
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Found "Official" laws regarding military conscription

Postby Satellite TV » 05 Dec 2004, 17:38

rac1201 wrote:Hey guys, thanks for your replies on my previous post about extending my visas and the conscription issue. I got a responce from the TECO office and they gave me this website which has the Chinese and English versions of the conscription law.

I guess what applies to me is the "Conscription Regulations for Naturalized Aliens and Returning Oversees Chinese"

I don't think I'm an "Oversees Chinese"

You left on an ROC passport, so therefor you are an Overseas Chinese whether you like it or not. Entering Taiwan on your US passport will not change that fact. You were born here, you have an ID Card number here, you're a citizen here, and you can get drafted.

Just because your previous ROC passport has expired doesn't mean you're not an ROC citizen. When your US passport expires you don't stop being a US citizen do you!!!!
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby A-ha » 09 Jul 2008, 11:47

rac1201 wrote:Hey guys, thanks for your replies on my previous post about extending my visas and the conscription issue. I got a responce from the TECO office and they gave me this website which has the Chinese and English versions of the conscription law.

http://www.nca.gov.tw/English/law.htm

(You'll need adobe acrobat with the Chinese language download to view this correctly because it has both the English and Chinese translations)

That link no longer goes anywhere! :s
Forumosan avatar
A-ha
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recommends(s)

Postby Taffy » 09 Jul 2008, 11:58

After three and a half years, that's not really a revelation for a government website. Did you try looking for yourself?

About thirty seconds on the site and I found this.
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

103 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Re:

Postby bismarck » 13 Oct 2008, 19:49

Taffy wrote:After three and a half years, that's not really a revelation for a government website. Did you try looking for yourself?

About thirty seconds on the site and I found this.

Yes, but you're not like most of us. You're different... :wink:

Thanks for the link, mate. I needed that, also. :thumbsup:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby lincolnunit » 20 Nov 2008, 00:42

Actually I was in a similar boat as you.
I was born in Taiwan, have a green Taiwanese passport, left to America when I was 4. I became a US citizen at age 18 and obtained a US passport at 21 so I can go back to Taiwan and visit the family. Passport states I was born in Taiwan and under Taiwanese law, I am still considered as a citizen, even though the US does not recognize dual citizenship but Taiwan does. I entered Taiwan with the US Passport this year twice now (still 21) and have not been drafted into the military, however under Taiwan's law, I am still eligible to be drafted. The thing you want to keep in mind is, don't give the custom's agent a hard time.
lincolnunit
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Tobiasgar » 19 Oct 2011, 15:22

The ROC passport does not automatically grant the holders right of abode in the Taiwan Area. Only ROC passport holders who also hold household registration in the Taiwan Area, and whose passports therefore show a national identification number, are exempt from immigration restrictions in Taiwan. Other ROC passport holders are issued landing visas upon arrival in Taiwan and are subject to deportation.
Tobiasgar
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Military Conscription