[Conscript] avoiding military service

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby madeintaiwan » 21 Feb 2005, 06:19

I thought they changed the rule for those born after 1975 (or something like that). For those people, the time is cumulative - you will get into trouble staying over 183 days per year. Leaving every 4 months will not work.

This is a serious matter so be sure you know the exact law - your life can be ruined if you are not careful.
madeintaiwan
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Sweetie » 21 Feb 2005, 10:27

madeintaiwan wrote:I thought they changed the rule for those born after 1975 (or something like that). For those people, the time is cumulative - you will get into trouble staying over 183 days per year. Leaving every 4 months will not work.

This is a serious matter so be sure you know the exact law - your life can be ruined if you are not careful.

No I don't think it's cumulative, a lot of my friends are working in Taiwan and what they have to do is leave Taiwan every 4 months for a week or so. If they can do that and still not do time in the military, I dun think it's cumulative.
Forumosan avatar
Sweetie
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby Satellite TV » 21 Feb 2005, 12:28

Sweetie wrote:
madeintaiwan wrote:I thought they changed the rule for those born after 1975 (or something like that). For those people, the time is cumulative - you will get into trouble staying over 183 days per year. Leaving every 4 months will not work.

No I don't think it's cumulative, a lot of my friends are working in Taiwan and what they have to do is leave Taiwan every 4 months for a week or so. If they can do that and still not do time in the military, I dun think it's cumulative.

It's a total of 4 months in one calander year. I hope you friends can add up.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby madeintaiwan » 24 Feb 2005, 13:38

From http://www.immigration.gov.tw/aspcode/L ... NodeID=142

第  三  條   
原有戶籍國民具僑民身分之役齡男子,自返回國內之翌日起,屆滿一年時,依法辦理徵兵處理。
無戶籍國民具僑民身分之役齡男子,自返回國內初設戶籍登記之翌日起,屆滿一年時,依法辦理徵兵處理。

第  四  條   
前條第一項及第二項屆滿一年之計算,以有下列情形之一者為準:
  一、連續居住滿一年。
  二、中華民國七十三年次以前出生之役齡男子,以居住逾四個月達三次者為準。
  三、中華民國七十四年次以後出生之役齡男子,以曾有二年,每年一月一日至十
    二月三十一日期間累積居住逾一百八十三日為準。
  歸國僑民之役齡男子返國就學者,在符合緩徵條件之期間,不列入前項居住時間計算。

So, #4-3 seems to say those who are born in or after 1985 (I was mistaken earlier when I said 1975) will get into trouble of they stay over 183 days (1/1-12/31) for any two years. I think this was not an issue until now because they are now old enough to be drafted.

Again, make sure before you go so your life does not get interrupted unexpectedly.

(Hope the Chinese characters post and show OK.)

----

Better yet, someone in another post posted the PDF link for the official translation: http://www.nca.gov.tw/ENGLISH/law/Consc ... ese_07.pdf
madeintaiwan

Postby Sean Su » 27 Jan 2006, 05:31

What? I'm currently enrolled part time in graduate studies and freelancng the other.

I want to visit Taiwan on May 2006 for almost 4 months but my parents insist there will be problems; they say that I'm required to do service (I'm 23) unless the government receiives a note from my university that I'm studying fulltime. I wouldn't mind doing service later on like at 26, but right now I'm working on things that will effect my career.
Yet here on Forumosa are posts that say I need only not stay longer for 4 months.

So Whats the truth? Whats going on?

(PS: I'm born from Taiwan and came to the United States at the age of 1. I used to visit regularly for months at a time. But at 16 to now, I havent returned to Taiwan for a total duration of longer than 2 weeks, and have not in the past 13 months.)
visit taiwanmatters.blogspot.com, it rocks!
Forumosan avatar
Sean Su
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

Postby Hartzell » 30 Jan 2006, 08:36

Why would you think that the people posting on forumosa.com would have detailed knowledge about such a technical legal issue?

You should contact the Parents Society of Overseas Students for more detailed information. There is an email contact address on this page --
http://www.psos.org.tw/
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

19 Recognized(s)

Postby artagnan5 » 27 May 2006, 02:16

I had a friend who is diabetic, is there a chance that he would be exempted??
artagnan5
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Diabetes and NS

Postby chatbug » 02 Jun 2006, 16:13

If you have diabetes, it appears that you do not have to serve national service.

If you have any medical condition, you can check at the body posture (Taiwan's crappy way of saying your medical fitness to serve NS) at the following websites:
http://mab.mnd.gov.tw/Body_Posture_STD/ ... re_STD.htm
http://mab.mnd.gov.tw/Body_Posture_STD/ ... _APPD1.HTM

I have been lucky... I will be serving only 12 days of national service! Going to start June 19th. Wish me luck! :)
chatbug

Re: [Conscript] avoiding military service

Postby Joeman_0 » 13 Jun 2010, 08:07

What does this say? My Mandarin is not that good, but I think it says even if you are dual national, you will be seized and unable to leave until you complete the military service.

BTW, this is the new law.

更新日期:2010/05/26 11:14
(中央社記者劉坤原華盛頓25日專電)中華民國駐美代表處今天向僑界轉達僑務委員會一份宣導通知,呼籲具有雙重國籍的中華民國役男,返台時應注意相關兵役法規定,以免入境後遭限制出境。
僑委會通知指出,近來陸續有具雙重國籍的中華民國役男持外國護照入境,遭役政單位依法限制出境,直到履行兵役義務為止,衍生許多訴願或陳情案件。
通知說,中華民國目前仍實行徵兵制,凡具有中華民國國籍,且在台灣曾設有戶籍的男子,在年滿18歲的翌年1月1日起,至年滿36歲當年的12月31日止,依法都有服兵役的義務。
原來在台灣設有戶籍,目前具有雙重國籍的役男,無論戶籍是否遷出國外,應持中華民國護照入境。如持外國護照入境,役政單位仍會依法進行徵兵處理,限制其出境直到服完兵役為止。
至於具有僑民身份的役男,依「歸化我們國籍及歸國僑民服役辦法」的規定,返國居住屆滿1年時,即須服役。僑民役男如持外國護照入境,在台停留時間亦應納入併計。990525
Joeman_0
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Military Conscription