Could a non-Taiwanese/Chinese join Taiwan's military?

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

We learn s-thg new every day, don't we?

Postby DSN » 12 Aug 2005, 17:58

From the NZ Army website:

Welcome to the Overseas Recruitment area of the New Zealand Army website.

We are recruiting applicants of foreign nationality in order to meet personnel resource needs. However, we currently only have vacancies for current or recent ex-serving full time military personnel from either UK, Australia, USA, Canada or New Zealand.

To find out if you fit our needs, please read all of the information provided, which includes details on:

Eligibility
Vacancies
Overseas Enlistment Conditions of Service
General Information about the NZ Army
The Overseas Recruitment Process
If, after reading all of the information above, you'd still like to be considered, please complete the Overseas Recruitment Questionnaire with as much detail as possible. Our Overseas Recruitment team will then complete an initial assessment regarding your suitability. Please do not complete the full online application form at this stage.

If you do not have any full time military experience you will need to meet the following criteria to be considered:

Be a Permanent NZ Resident AND have either:

Lived in New Zealand for at least 5 years
OR
Have held citizenship of Australia, Canada, US or the UK for at least 10 years.

However, the Army has a requirement for all personnel (both Regular Force and Territorial Force) to be ready to be deployed overseas on operational service, therefore all Army personnel need to be NZ Citizens and eligible to hold New Zealand Passports. You may apply to join the Army if you have been granted New Zealand Permanent Residency status, but you must sign a formal undertaking (as part of the enlistment process) that you will apply for New Zealand Citizenship when you become eligible.
Forumosan avatar
DSN
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Tetsuo » 12 Aug 2005, 18:09

Aha, the PR thing makes sense. I should've thought of that. But the OP'd still be screwed - because he wants to get PR through service.
You're going to listen to me? To something I said? Jesus, man, haven't I made it abundantly clear during the tenure of our friendship that I don't know sh**? I mean, half the time I'm just talking out of my ass - Brodie Bruce, Mallrats
Tetsuo
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

Postby Satellite TV » 12 Aug 2005, 18:12

Tetsuo wrote:Aha, the PR thing makes sense. I should've thought of that. But the OP'd still be screwed - because he wants to get PR through service.

Well he can't volunteer to become a citizen. So he'll have to live his 5 years continous on an ARC and then become either an ROC national or a permanent resident.

I chose nationality and the PR is not really permanent. If you leave Taiwan for 6 months it gets cancelled :noway: :oops: :noway: :oops: :noway:
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

27 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby llary » 22 Aug 2005, 04:45

Hey poagao, how did you find life in the Taiwan army? I know a few Westerners who have successfully acquired Taiwan citizenship but they're either old enough to be exempt drafting or avoided it in some other way. I have Taiwanese citizenship as a long-term goal and I really don't mind army service but what does it actually involve? Did it make your hair fall out or did it turn you into a sex beast in only 3 months?
llary
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

29 Recognized(s)

Postby Sam Vimes » 22 Aug 2005, 06:49

Satellite TV wrote:I chose nationality and the PR is not really permanent. If you leave Taiwan for 6 months it gets cancelled :noway: :oops: :noway: :oops: :noway:

Well, looking at things from the other side of the Tai Ping Yang: unless things are cleared beforehand and there's a good documented reason to be away so long, a US permanent resident staying out of the US for more than 6 months runs the risk of losing his or her green card.

Also, I've met at least one American citizen who fought (not just served--fought!) in the Israali army, for what it's worth. I don't know if the US makes an exception vis-a-vis revoking citizenship in a case like that.
Where's the flag for Ankh-Morpork?
Forumosan avatar
Sam Vimes
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby rahimiiii » 22 Aug 2005, 10:34

llary wrote:Hey poagao, how did you find life in the Taiwan army? I know a few Westerners who have successfully acquired Taiwan citizenship but they're either old enough to be exempt drafting or avoided it in some other way. I have Taiwanese citizenship as a long-term goal and I really don't mind army service but what does it actually involve? Did it make your hair fall out or did it turn you into a sex beast in only 3 months?

Whats worse is that I am an "ABC" but not born in the states, and people there expects me to act and behave like a local. They do not care if I have lived overseas for years and stuff.. I don't know about foreigners but you will probably lose hair (imagine working 24/7 for several days)
rahimiiii
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 22 Aug 2005, 11:44

rahimiiii wrote:
llary wrote:Hey poagao, how did you find life in the Taiwan army? I know a few Westerners who have successfully acquired Taiwan citizenship but they're either old enough to be exempt drafting or avoided it in some other way. I have Taiwanese citizenship as a long-term goal and I really don't mind army service but what does it actually involve? Did it make your hair fall out or did it turn you into a sex beast in only 3 months?

Whats worse is that I am an "ABC" but not born in the states, and people there expects me to act and behave like a local. They do not care if I have lived overseas for years and stuff.. I don't know about foreigners but you will probably lose hair (imagine working 24/7 for several days)

I think it's pretty much the same. There's very little room for exceptions in the army, everyone is expected to do their part. There was an Indonesian guy serving there when I was in, and neither of us got special treatement. Cushy posts are cushy all around, difficult posts are hard for everyone. Helmets are definitely not good for your hair, but that's ok because they cut it all off anyway.Anyway, now they have alternative service, so at least you have a possible way out.

I posted some old photos I took when I was in the army here.
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 22 Aug 2005, 11:50

Tetsuo wrote:I can't imagine any country allowing non-citizens to join their military.
Wonder Woman was the secretary to a high ranking Major in the War Department during WWII. And had no citizenship of anywhere (Paradise Island is not recognised by the USA, nor they even know where it is, being invisible due to some sort of anomaly) or even any checkable history. But she did do well at the tests.
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

French Foreign Legion

Postby aceman » 26 Aug 2005, 15:58

Specially created for foreigners who want wish to join the French military. You serve, you get French citizenship.
aceman
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Re: French Foreign Legion

Postby NDAKOTA » 26 Aug 2005, 23:15

aceman wrote:Specially created for foreigners who want wish to join the French military. You serve, you get French citizenship.

Yeah, but only if you make it thru and don't get killed. The death rate is pretty high.

You serve, you get fubar, then you get a new id with a frog passport, move to New Caledonia... get a suntan and then die.

NDAKOTA
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Previous

x

Return to Military Conscription