I'm done with my ROC military service!!!!

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: I'm done with my ROC military service!!!!

Postby lincolnunit » 20 Nov 2008, 00:56

Thats true, US military is harder, but it depends on where in the military in Taiwan you are. For example, some marines from Taiwan are trained here in the US. Pay grade is higher for career and even higher for the ARPU. Conscription pay has been known to suck throughout the history of military. But Congrats, I can see that the KMT's has stopped their brainwashing tactics in the military where they make you recite that the Communists are the enemy and we are the good guys.

Drink till you drop! :bravo:
lincolnunit
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby lbksig » 20 Nov 2008, 01:15

lincolnunit wrote:Thats true, US military is harder, but it depends on where in the military in Taiwan you are. For example, some marines from Taiwan are trained here in the US. Pay grade is higher for career and even higher for the ARPU. Conscription pay has been known to suck throughout the history of military. But Congrats, I can see that the KMT's has stopped their brainwashing tactics in the military where they make you recite that the Communists are the enemy and we are the good guys.

Drink till you drop! :bravo:

1. Capitalize the "M" in Marines. It's the proper name of the service and is by tradition, capitalized.

2. What R.O.C. Marines go to the U.S. for training? The only link I could find was about Sergeant Wu being the first female NCO to complete the U.S. Marine Corps training. Can you provide some more info on the subject for me? It's piqued my curiosity.

3. The last message in the thread was almost three years ago, so why grave dig? Wouldn't a PM be more appropriate?
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Obama's offering a payroll tax cut, but only for small business. Ok, fair's fair. We pay taxes, but only for small government. - Fred Thompson
lbksig
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

Postby urodacus » 20 Nov 2008, 14:01

lincolnunit wrote: I can see that the KMT's has stopped their brainwashing tactics in the military where they make you recite that the Communists are the enemy and we are the good guys.

all preparation for the pants-dropping exercise that's coming soon. Hello, PLA, you are our FRIENDS now.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

169 Recommends(s)
215 Recognized(s)

Postby rahimiiii » 20 Nov 2008, 16:26

I think the only thing the conscripts will be expected to do is maintain order in event of a war or other national emergencies. I don't think they are expected to see any real combat since we have never been trained for them. Besides if the PRC attacks there isn't a whole lot we can do other than surrender.... their military is powerful enough to get the US concerned I don't think the ROC is capable of defending against them. Perhaps only hold on long enough for the US to provide aid. Also it only takes a couple of nukes to end it all in 10 minutes...
rahimiiii

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 20 Nov 2008, 16:35

No offence there rahimiiii, but do they make you practice surrendering?

"Blue squad, this time I want you all out there with weapons down, hands up and white flags flying wthin 20 seconds." "Hoo haa!" :lol:

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 20 Nov 2008, 20:47

Huang Guang Chen wrote:No offence there rahimiiii, but do they make you practice surrendering?

"Blue squad, this time I want you all out there with weapons down, hands up and white flags flying wthin 20 seconds." "Hoo haa!" :lol:

HG

Wouldn't that be "Squad bleu" ?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 20 Nov 2008, 21:44

Huang Guang Chen wrote:No offence there rahimiiii, but do they make you practice surrendering?

HG

A young Taiwanese friend told me of the run away training they do. It's not exactly a surrender as you are supposed to turn around after a few seconds (assuming you haven't been shot) and then return fire but I guess we all know what it really prepares you for. :lol:

Remember that US general who came here in the late 90s to inspect and advise: "We came expecting Israel; we found Panama.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

635 Recognized(s)

Postby nemesis » 20 Nov 2008, 23:15

Super-congrats on finishing what was probably the longest year-and-a-half of your whole life!

Have you ever thought about posting your experiences on a blog or something like that? Sounds like it could be a really interesting read.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi
Forumosan avatar
nemesis
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

11 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 21 Nov 2008, 09:56

Congrats, rahimiiii.

I guess they made you cut your hair, eh?
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

41 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby rahimiiii » 21 Nov 2008, 10:38

irishstu wrote:Congrats, rahimiiii.

I guess they made you cut your hair, eh?

Yea but I havent had a haircut since I left because I didn't feel like having to look like everyone else.
rahimiiii

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Military Conscription