Am I in danger of being conscripted?

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Am I in danger of being conscripted?

Postby ALT83 » 11 Jul 2008, 11:06

Hey guys,

I just read a slightly worrying article about a couple of Filipino guys that married Taiwanese women, got nationalised and conscripted and had nervous breakdowns from being in the army (whether they are faking or not I don't know).

But it got me wondering, if I marry my girlfriend, am I in danger of being called up for military service just like that or is it after I've become a citizen... How far down along the line is that?

The article said people can be called up for duty before their 36th birthday, which means I've still got over a decade to go...

On a secondary note, what about my kids (when we have them)? How can I guarantee they don't get drafted?

Thanks,

Alex
ALT83
May you enjoy a lifetime of prosperity (de zhěng gè shēng mìng fù yǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby TainanCowboy » 11 Jul 2008, 11:09

Man-up and serve your chosen country.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby ALT83 » 11 Jul 2008, 11:12

I've got other things I'd rather be doing, like running my company...

Have you served? Have many other Forumosans? What were your experiences like?
ALT83

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby TainanCowboy » 11 Jul 2008, 11:22

ALT83 wrote:I've got other things I'd rather be doing, like running my company...
So...you think you're special? Are you talking Taiwan Military or UK military?
ALT83 wrote:Have you served?
Yes, US Army.
ALT83 wrote: Have many other Forumosans?
There's a few. Keep in mind the 'nature' of this web site.
ALT83 wrote: What were your experiences like?
Just like life its ownself - Some good, some bad, some weird. Like life, its what you make of it.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby ALT83 » 11 Jul 2008, 11:35

I don't think I'm special, but I think it is perfectly reasonable to say that not everyone wants or should serve in the military. I completely respect the work that those guys do and it is certainly an important job, but as I said there is "other" stuff I would rather be doing, I didn't say it was "better".

I wouldn't mind doing the training if it were part-time or something, but if it's going to take me away from my work for a year or two that's pretty inconvenient.
ALT83

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Am I in danger of being conscripted?

Postby Taffy » 11 Jul 2008, 11:36

ALT83 wrote:But it got me wondering, if I marry my girlfriend, am I in danger of being called up for military service just like that or is it after I've become a citizen... How far down along the line is that?

You have to become a citizen. Your choice. They don't just hand out citizenship after you've been around a while or sign you up as fresh meat for the grinder - you have to go through a torturous application process and (in most cases) renounce your original citizenship. So don't become a citizen if you're worried about military service. Either that, or wait until you turn 35.

Are you ethnically (at least part) Chinese? Just asking because that might complicate things.

ALT83 wrote:On a secondary note, what about my kids (when we have them)? How can I guarantee they don't get drafted?

Guarantee? Get them British citizenship (assuming you're from the UK) and don't sign them up for the ROC version.
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 11 Jul 2008, 11:38

You won't have to serve if you get married, only if you renounce your own citizenship and take ROC nationality. As a mere spouse, you're still very much a third-class non-citizen -- no voice, no vote, just pay the taxes.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 11 Jul 2008, 11:46

TainanCowboy wrote:Man-up and serve your chosen country.

Hey, lighten up, TC. If he doesn't want to serve, he shouldn't have to.

To the OP, you will only be subject to service if you become a citizen. Do you want to become a citizen? Most Westerners here who marry locals choose not to become ROC citizens because they will have to give up their original citizenship, and traveling on an ROC passport is a pain in the ass. And then there's that service thing, and most Westerners don't want to serve in the ROC army.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

88 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 11 Jul 2008, 11:49

TainanCowboy wrote:Man-up and serve your chosen country.

Which could also be written as: "Swallow the bullshit and agree to be somebody's pawn."
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby ALT83 » 11 Jul 2008, 11:51

Thanks for the advice guys, I look forward to being a third-class non-citizen then :D

If our kids are born in Taiwan are they automatically awarded citizenship (in Taiwan and UK)?

If we opt out of Taiwan citizenship for them, can they still live in Taiwan forever (if they/we so choose) without issue?
ALT83

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Military Conscription