Restrictions on Overseas Travel for Pre-Military Age Males?

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Restrictions on Overseas Travel for Pre-Military Age Males?

Postby Tomas » 22 Jul 2008, 23:02

If the answer to this question exists, I couldn't find it.

What are the overseas travel restrictions on male ROC citizens who have not yet performed their military service?

I've heard various things like "after 16 years of age, no more overseas travel until a man's military service is completed." I've also heard 18 years old is the cutoff. I've also heard somewhere that there is no such restriction.

Thanks,

Tomas
Come on baby, you know you my home slice.
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
142 Recommends(s)
167 Recognized(s)

Re: Restrictions on Overseas Travel for Pre-Military Age Males?

Postby lincolnunit » 20 Nov 2008, 00:43

Tomas wrote:If the answer to this question exists, I couldn't find it.

What are the overseas travel restrictions on male ROC citizens who have not yet performed their military service?

I've heard various things like "after 16 years of age, no more overseas travel until a man's military service is completed." I've also heard 18 years old is the cutoff. I've also heard somewhere that there is no such restriction.

Thanks,

Tomas

Back when CSB was president, it was a lot more laxed. But since there is a new government now, who knows, but a few years ago it was 16.
lincolnunit
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby MikeN » 25 Jun 2011, 12:40

Further to this question. I've known quite a few students who have either gone on holiday or gone to study abroad after high school graduation.

One student told me his mother checked into it and was told that the law restricting this had been struck down by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional.

All I could find (in English) was this:

A proposal to relax restrictions on exit applications by male citizens of conscription age planning to study in China met with strong opposition from lawmakers of the opposition Democratic Progressive Party yesterday, who said the move could trigger “a wave of desertions.”
According to Legislator Kuan Bi-ling, the proposal would “widely open the doors for deserters.”

It would also increase the outflow of local students to China, further battering local university enrollments, which have been declining due to a dropping birth rate, she said.

Earlier in the day, the Legislative Yuan put the draft bill by Kuomintang lawmakers to revise the enforcement regulations of the Conscription Law on the agenda of the next plenary session.

In the draft bill, the legislators said the current regulations impose stricter restrictions on applications for exit filed by those of draft age who want to travel to China to study than similar exit applications by those planning to study in other countries.

Whereas the conscription FAQ says no exceptions.

Anybody have any info? Hear about this?
MikeN
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

39 Recognized(s)

Postby MikeN » 25 Jun 2011, 13:02

Ooops! Just after posting came up with this
http://english.docms.taipei.gov.tw/ct.a ... mp=121012s

And this:

http://glrs.moi.gov.tw/EngLawContent.aspx?Type=E&id=14

Which says all you have to do is apply and it "shall" be granted
MikeN

39 Recognized(s)

Postby Ronnicus » 13 Jul 2011, 13:47

So basically you can do whatever if you're not 18... is that right?
Ronnicus
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Military Conscription