Origins of the 1985 rule.

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Origins of the 1985 rule.

Postby wirez666 » 20 Sep 2008, 13:29

Can anyone tell my why it is that if your born after 1985 you have cannot stay in taiwan for a cumulative period of 182 days (to avoid conscription) whereas if your born before 1985 you can just leave once every four months?

Seems a little unfair. Can someone shed light on this?
wirez666
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Origins of the 1985 rule.

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 20 Sep 2008, 13:32

wirez666 wrote:Seems a little unfair.
It's a little unfair that Taiwanese are allowed the best of both worlds with dual nationality and foreigners aren't.
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 21 Sep 2008, 01:02

Big Fluffy Matthew wrote:
It's a little unfair that Taiwanese are allowed the best of both worlds with dual nationality and foreigners aren't.

Plenty of foreigners are allowd dual nationality. I know plenty of foreigners with dual nationality.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby wirez666 » 14 Jun 2009, 15:20

FYI its not my fault that I am Taiwanese. I wasn't even born there, and Taiwan won't let me renounce my citizenship till I'm 35. I don't see how it gives me the best of both worlds. Taiwanese citizenship is more of a liability than anything else. No real benefits.
wirez666

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby IceEagle » 05 Jan 2010, 23:09

wirez666 wrote:Can anyone tell my why it is that if your born after 1985 you have cannot stay in taiwan for a cumulative period of 182 days (to avoid conscription) whereas if your born before 1985 you can just leave once every four months?

Seems a little unfair. Can someone shed light on this?

Just a guess, but I know that in 2000 Taiwan changed their nationality law to allow a child to inherit from the mother. This was made retroactive to 1980 but no further back.

Why? Well, anyone born in 1980 or under would have been still a minor (under 20 years old) at the time the change was made. So those who were already legal adults were grandfathered under the old version of the law.

If the change to the conscription law was made in 2005, this would make perfect sense. At this point, those who were already of conscriptable age were grandfathered into the old scheme - to prevent a sort of double jeopardy where they would have been fine under the old rules but without knowing about the change in advance are now in trouble with the new rules.
IceEagle
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 05 Jan 2010, 23:22

Satellite TV wrote:

Plenty of foreigners are allowd dual nationality. I know plenty of foreigners with dual nationality.

Depends on where they're from. Are these foreigners all Australians?

To get ROC citizenship, one is required to show proof that one has renounced one's previous citizenship. I understand that Australians can do this, and then get their original citizenship back in 6 months. But Americans can't do this without ensuring the entire naturalization process.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

86 Recommends(s)
191 Recognized(s)

Postby IceEagle » 05 Jan 2010, 23:24

IceEagle wrote:If the change to the conscription law was made in 2005, this would make perfect sense. At this point, those who were already of conscriptable age were grandfathered into the old scheme - to prevent a sort of double jeopardy where they would have been fine under the old rules but without knowing about the change in advance are now in trouble with the new rules.

Example, if you had a ABT born in 1984, who enters Taiwan on an overseas Chinese Passport for 4 months starting in Jan 1 2004, left in April 1 2004, came back in May 1 2004, then left again in August 1 2004, then came back in September 1 2004 and finally left in November 1 2004: under the old rules this person remains in overseas status and is not draftable, but then after the law changes our ABT is suddenly draftable unless he is grandfathered into the old provisions.
IceEagle

1 Recognized(s)

Postby IceEagle » 05 Jan 2010, 23:35

Chris wrote:
Satellite TV wrote:Plenty of foreigners are allowd dual nationality. I know plenty of foreigners with dual nationality.

Depends on where they're from. Are these foreigners all Australians?

To get ROC citizenship, one is required to show proof that one has renounced one's previous citizenship. I understand that Australians can do this, and then get their original citizenship back in 6 months. But Americans can't do this without ensuring the entire naturalization process.

I think he meant he knew plenty of Aus-US dual nationals, or US-UK dual nationals, etc.

Technically, it seems like an American who renounced could go back by entering on a work visa or a spousal visa and then apply for a green card and then naturalisation. I've never heard of anyone doing so successfully, though, and Americans who renounce have their names added to a list that is likely reviewed by USCIS on the application for a visa.

I do know about a case where a person successfully renounced his US citizenship, then he tried to claim the right of residence in the US, leading to the US state department revoking his renouncement. Seems risky, but on the Certificate of Loss of Nationality it says you have a year to apply to have your case reconsidered.

Additionally, if you renounce US citizenship or nationality as a minor, within 6 months of turning 18 you can apply to have it restored.

If you renounce US citizeship to get the CNL to give to Taiwan, and then became naturalised as a ROC citizen, and then had your renouncement of US citizenship revoked, I'm not sure if you will have your ROC citizenship revoked or not.
IceEagle

1 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 06 Jan 2010, 01:21

wirez666 wrote:

FYI its not my fault that I am Taiwanese. I wasn't even born there, and Taiwan won't let me renounce my citizenship till I'm 35. I don't see how it gives me the best of both worlds. Taiwanese citizenship is more of a liability than anything else. No real benefits.

Some of us want it and cant get it bud.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Military Conscription