ROC MILITARY GUIDE FOR DUAL NATIONALS

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: ROC MILITARY GUIDE FOR DUAL NATIONALS

Postby DDL980 » 21 Oct 2009, 22:07

catfish13 wrote:
DDL980 wrote:There is in fact an explicit law. I don't have the link BUT if you call up the ROC immigration agency they will in fact tell you, that you cannot get an ARC. I was recently denied an ARC renewal last month. This is article 18. Truth be told, Dual Nationals were not suppose to be given an ARC in the first place. But, the military service office has told immigration to up the monitoring.

May I ask under what purpose your ARC was issued in the first place? Did you apply as a dependent or was it work-related? If you were denied a renewal for a work visa wouldn't your position also be terminated?

Simply put it doesn't matter what reason you got........the fact is . You can't get an ARC anymore if you are TW male that has never done military service, lest you are 36 years old. Also my work contract was terminated. But my boss just said I was taking a two week break. I came back and now I am working in TW as a TW citizen.

Honestly, if Taiwan were soooo concerned with us being leeches. I honestly would just let many dual nationals use ARCs. Since with an ARC You only get second class citizenship benefits, pay overall higher taxes, but still are eligible for military service. Now I am back here working, I am pretty much doing the same shit. On my ARC i still flew out every four months,but now I pay a lower tax rate. lower health insurance rates, and I can also do investments in TW, get a cell phone plan that isn't that rip off prepaid stuff, apply for Credit cards. So in revoking my renwal for an ARC, the only thing they did to me was make me miss two weeks of work, but now I am back and I can be an even bigger leech than I was before. Ironic isn't it?
DDL980
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: ROC MILITARY GUIDE FOR DUAL NATIONALS

Postby ch0002 » 17 Jul 2010, 13:30

catfish13 wrote:
DDL980 wrote:
catfish13 wrote:If you have an ARC that still doesn't mean you can stay in Taiwan indefinitely until the ARC expires.

First and foremost if you were born in Taiwan and ever considered a Taiwanese citizen you can no longer get an ARC lest you become 36 or finish military duty.

Do you mind to elaborate on this more? Is this policy put in writing? Not trying to discredit you at all as that rule sounds logical, but just wondering if there is an explicit law about this.

Please be aware that the age of 36 - means the whole year. So for example, even if you turned 36 on a Jan 1, you will still have to wait till Dec 31 -of that year, before you are no longer required to serve the military

第 3 條
男子年滿十八歲之翌年一月一日起役,至屆滿三十六歲之年十二月三十一日除役,稱為役齡男子。但軍官、士官、志願士兵除役年齡,不在此限。
男子年滿十五歲之翌年一月一日起,至屆滿十八歲之年十二月三十一日止,稱為接近役齡男子。
http://www.nca.gov.tw/
ch0002

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Military Conscription