Can I go back to Taiwan for Vacation with only US Passport?

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Can I go back to Taiwan for Vacation with only US Passport?

Postby frank1980 » 07 May 2011, 08:07

yes, my two friends both left Taiwan around 12-14 years of age. both know how to speak Mandarin and read some.. not much.
I have no idea how they linked their US passport to their ROC citizenship status.
point being, they did, and was detained. but this was back in 1999.

recently, I have not heard any of my friends having issue. but most all recommend letting the Taiwanese government know my status instead of lying to them and cheating your way in/out hoping you won't get caught.

apparently "oversea chinese" status stamp automatic link your roc passport and your us passport, and is a way of you letting the government know that you have a life else where and asking permission first to come in and out then just simply travel with your us passport.
frank1980
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby frank1980 » 07 May 2011, 10:04

btw, just out of curiosity of anyone who has filled out the Exit permit application for oversea chinese male
here: https://nas.immigration.gov.tw/nasf/ctl ... pplication

what the heck is:
最近一次出國日期
Last Date of Departure

and

最近一次入國日期
Last Date of Arrival

what date do you put in there!?
I haven't arrive or depart in 15 years...
frank1980

Postby ch0002 » 08 May 2011, 04:34

frank1980 wrote:I am in the same boat, except It will be 6 more years until I turn 36.
I don't want to wait that long before I visit Taiwan.
It's been 15 years, since the last time I was there.

no one has the right answer for conscription.
local TECO said, since we exited Taiwan before age 16, we can use our US passport that we will be fine.

The law said otherwise.

the closest thing I can find is:
1. renew ROC passport with "oversea chinese" status stamp
2. Exist US with US passport and enter Taiwan with ROC passport with oversea chinese status
3. apply for an Exit Permit of Overseas Chinese Draft Age Men in Taipei before returning to the US, or online here: https://nas.immigration.gov.tw/nasf/ctl ... pplication
4. once approved, exit Taiwan with ROC passport, and enter US with US passport.

but when I do the online application, since I left taiwan at the age of 14, no previous exit permit were found to match against.
so yeah....

I have no idea what the rules are.. and what to do.

the only thing to do is to visit with US passport and take your chances.
although two of my friends have gotten detained using their US passport, and served a 12 months conscription before they can return back to the US.

seems like is not happening anymore...

Apply and see if TECO will grant you overseas chinese status. If so, you can visit and leave as long as you do not stay over 3mo. Part of the the application process, involves TECO determining your status. The overseas chinese status is partially created to exempt one from serving the military.

TECO denied my application, claiming that I visited TWN years ago, when I was 19 and studying in the US therefore did not qualify for OVerseas Chinese status - even though I have been in the US for over 15 yrs since and have not returned. I had no choice but to wait till I turned 36.
ch0002

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Military Conscription