Canadian passport

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Canadian passport

Postby router » 07 Dec 2009, 09:18

I entered Taiwan on Nov 10th, 2009 (from Vancouver). My original plan was to stay for 2 weeks. I was not sure how long my actual stay is going to be, and therefore decided to use my ROC passport to avoid the 30 day limit. I'm turning 19 next March and is aware that I have to leave the country before Dec 31 to avoid conscription.

Now My concern is that, with the holiday season and the winter Olympics, I find it very difficult to book my return flight to Canada. I've been on the waiting list for a couple of days now and still no answer from my airline.

I was wondering if I can avoid conscription by leaving Taiwan with my Canadian passport if I happen to leave after Dec 31st.
router
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Canadian passport

Postby Edgar Allen » 07 Dec 2009, 09:37

Why not just fly to HK, or even the mainland?
get fit in your own time, no equipment, no gym membership - www.ludusfit.com
Forumosan avatar
Edgar Allen
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

2 Recommends(s)

Postby Jaboney » 07 Dec 2009, 12:31

I don't know, but I doubt strongly that you'll be able to avoid service so easily (traveling to and from Taiwan on your Canadian passport).
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 07 Dec 2009, 12:36

You have to leave on the passport you entered with. They won't just let you leave if they have no record of you entering.
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby whitetiger » 07 Dec 2009, 13:33

No, it is that easy. I know an Australian Taiwanese guy, does this every few months. Been doing for the 3 years I've known him. Goes to HK and straight back.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein
Forumosan avatar
whitetiger
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby router » 08 Dec 2009, 13:39

Big Fluffy Matthew wrote:You have to leave on the passport you entered with. They won't just let you leave if they have no record of you entering.

Let's say I do get a flight before the end of the year. Does anyone know what additional documents I will need in order to leave return to Canada?
router

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Military Conscription